Author Topic: Stupid Cocker owners  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
Re: Stupid Cocker owners
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 11:16:23 PM »
I was new to this 9 months ago when i got Tilly from a pets4homes advert. I think I was lucky in the fact that I could not ask for a more loveable dog that has the most kindest nature and lights up my day every day.

Yes us too. We didn't know about the pitfalls of Pets4homes...knew about puppy farms but because the breeder was breeding in a house and had the relevant papers, plus sire and dam were seen, we thought she was ok. Afterwards, we saw numerous adverts from the same breeder...multiple cocker litters plus labs, GSDs, terriers etc we knew we'd bought from a 'puppy farm'.

We were lucky too as Bonnie is now just perfect (to us anyway :005:) with the best temprement you could wish for. But it makes me mad that we fell for this breeder's lies and even madder to think there at so many others out there doing the same thing!

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »
I was new to this 9 months ago when i got Tilly from a pets4homes advert. I think I was lucky in the fact that I could not ask for a more loveable dog that has the most kindest nature and lights up my day every day.

Yes us too. We didn't know about the pitfalls of Pets4homes...knew about puppy farms but because the breeder was breeding in a house and had the relevant papers, plus sire and dam were seen, we thought she was ok. Afterwards, we saw numerous adverts from the same breeder...multiple cocker litters plus labs, GSDs, terriers etc we knew we'd bought from a 'puppy farm'.

We were lucky too as Bonnie is now just perfect (to us anyway :005:) with the best temprement you could wish for. But it makes me mad that we fell for this breeder's lies and even madder to think there at so many others out there doing the same thing!
I did wonder about Tully's breeder, but no adverts as of yet and only one more litter she has breed which I found on the kc website. So I think she was not a puppy farm.

Offline janek

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 01:13:22 PM »
"Shit load of money " being the key to the whole idea ,sickens me that the see their new baby as a money making object ,but i guess they are one couple among many !
Janek

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »
sadly the cockers wont be helped by Kate and Wills having a black cocker either
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 03:41:28 PM »

It's a wonder how they can afford one

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »
If you type 'working cocker spaniel' into google, the first image that comes up is of William, Kate and Lupo  :016:
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 05:54:49 PM »
[quopopularityr=minimoo link=topic=109165.msg1594840#msg1594840 date=1389273699]
If you type 'working cocker spaniel' into google, the first image that comes up is of William, Kate and Lupo  :016:
[/quote]

Ah never realised Lupo was a working cocker. That definitely goes some way to explaining their popularity as pets amongst people who don't hunt or exercise - people who you'd think a working dog would be bottom of the list as choice of pet!!

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2014, 10:00:50 PM »
Speaking of stupid owners and unscrupulous breeders... Hudsons training class started up again tonight.  There are two new puppies in the beginners class: a working cocker and a springer. Went to have a chat with them both before  our class started. Asked the working cocker parents what made them get a working cocker rather than a show, do they do any shooting etc? Greeted with a blank expression and then "we didn't realise she'd be so energetic before we got her!" Then went over to the little springer to be told "oh no she's a cocker not a springer, thats what I was told when I got her... everyone thinks she's a springer though!! Hope I haven't been had!" ... Hubby used to have springers and she was Blatantly a springer (and a really gorgeous one at that  :luv: ) Speechless.

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 08:57:20 AM »
Speaking of stupid owners and unscrupulous breeders... Hudsons training class started up again tonight.  There are two new puppies in the beginners class: a working cocker and a springer. Went to have a chat with them both before  our class started. Asked the working cocker parents what made them get a working cocker rather than a show, do they do any shooting etc? Greeted with a blank expression and then "we didn't realise she'd be so energetic before we got her!" Then went over to the little springer to be told "oh no she's a cocker not a springer, thats what I was told when I got her... everyone thinks she's a springer though!! Hope I haven't been had!" ... Hubby used to have springers and she was Blatantly a springer (and a really gorgeous one at that  :luv: ) Speechless.
Some people are as thick as a whale omelette
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »

Please don't be too hard on new owners - they don't all have the wealth of information we have access to on COL. Many don't find COL until they have their new pups and want to know more. Yes they can read up on the breed, health tests etc., but nothing prepares you for your first cocker puppy - show or working
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 10:03:12 AM »

Please don't be too hard on new owners - they don't all have the wealth of information we have access to on COL. Many don't find COL until they have their new pups and want to know more. Yes they can read up on the breed, health tests etc., but nothing prepares you for your first cocker puppy - show or working

Thanks for that Mudmagnets. Whilst we did research etc we were not prepared for the challenges of a cocker nor were we aware of puppy farms in someone's back yard. However, we found COL after getting her and have learnt so much....no longer a novice,aware of lots of pitfalls, but very happy and proud to say we made it through xx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »

Not everyone is an expert by any means, nor are they expected to be but anyone can access this wealth of information, it's not hard to find, a simple Google search for 'Cocker Spaniel' will turn up hundreds if not thousands of sites, including COL right there on the first page - all the information you could want is there at the click of a mouse. The fact is that many people just don't bother to do any research before they get a dog (of any breed); they see one they like the look of and that's it, they go and get themselves a puppy, usually the first one they can find. I've come across plenty of people who put more research into choosing a mobile phone that suits them than they do into choosing a breed of dog that suits them and/or finding a good breeder.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »
This post brought back some memories for me. When I used to have my grooming business, a client rang one day and asked if she could book her cocker pup in for its first trim. She duly arrived at the salon clutching a liver and white springer pup! "Sorry, I thought you said you had a cocker," I said, and she looked at me quizzically. "Oh, but she IS a cocker. Her breeder told us she is!" I groomed that dog for around three years, and it grew up to be one of the nicest looking Springers I have ever seen!!  :005:

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
This post brought back some memories for me. When I used to have my grooming business, a client rang one day and asked if she could book her cocker pup in for its first trim. She duly arrived at the salon clutching a liver and white springer pup! "Sorry, I thought you said you had a cocker," I said, and she looked at me quizzically. "Oh, but she IS a cocker. Her breeder told us she is!" I groomed that dog for around three years, and it grew up to be one of the nicest looking Springers I have ever seen!!  :005:
Although to be fair, many liver and white working cockers do look very springer-ish.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 02:34:26 PM »

I totally agree.