Author Topic: Nutriment complete raw - any opinions on this?  (Read 7357 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Nutriment complete raw - any opinions on this?
« on: February 07, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »
Since swapping Archie onto Simpsons Grain Free Lamb and Potato adult food around a month ago, I had hoped that a better quality kibble would reduce the amount of poo etc.  Recently, he's been back doing 4 daily poos and 2 are quite large  ph34r :shades:

I've never really wanted to try raw as I had imagined slabs of meat and bones all over the place  :020: but then discovered you can get raw complete  :lol2:.

Does anyone use this food?  Can I feed one meal kibble, the other Nutriment or is it best to stick with the raw complete each day?

I'm a bit wary of some of the stories I've read re. raw feeding and problems dogs have experienced and the disdain of some vets.  :-\
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Nutriment complete raw - any opinions on this?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »
Hi, Jinley is on complete raw, but meat bought from the local butcher and supermarket.  She has 2 poos a day, and quite firm and not smelly. (You become a poo expert when the are fed raw). ph34r

She has a chicken wing in the morning and 250 g of meat at night, that could be beef or lamb heart, basic stewing steak or lamb, or a tin of mackerel  (flash fried as she doesnt like them straight out of the fridge).  She doesnt have any more bones, as all she tries to do is bury them.  It is no different to preparing a family meal hygiene wise.

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »
I fed Nutriment and Natural Instinct when I first started and both are really good as the balance is worked out for you, you just need to defrost and weigh out
You can feed one meal kibble and one raw (as long as they are not mixed together as they digest at different rates) but I don't know if you will see the real potential on the poo side if you are still feeding one kibble (someone might be able to advise on that)
All my lot are now fed raw, have been for about 18months, and I wouldn't change back.
They all poo twice a day and I can fit all three lots into one bag now  :005:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
I feed both raw and kibble (and god help me - together... seems no problem for my guys). They have two (occasionally three) small poos a day, which is in fact less than my dog that is fed raw only...  :lol:
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:52:57 PM »
I feed both raw and kibble (and god help me - together... seems no problem for my guys). They have two (occasionally three) small poos a day, which is in fact less than my dog that is fed raw only...  :lol:

Some dogs are fine on raw mixed with kibble
I often feed raw chicken mince or raw tripe with rileys grain free kibble eden.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »
Thanks everyone, very useful info.

I really couldn't face messing with heart, lungs etc - I don't with family meals  :lol2:  It is the thought of Archie playing and moving chicken wings all over the floor  :P

I don't have a local butcher and supermarket is some miles away.  My freezer doesn't have room for lots of Archie's meat either so I thought pre-packed meals would be an option.

What are the potential health risks of raw fed dogs by the way?  Vets are always say (and I know they aren't nutritionists) that bones can cause blockages/pieces piercing organs etc - it makes me very wary  ph34r
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 02:13:31 PM »

Some dogs are fine on raw mixed with kibble
I often feed raw chicken mince or raw tripe with rileys grain free kibble eden.
Mine have raw and kibble mixed daily.  Always have.  No issues.  Suppose like anything, it may upset some dogs, but have never found any scientific (or other) evidence to back up the idea that it really is bad to mix the two.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »
What are the potential health risks of raw fed dogs by the way?  Vets are always say (and I know they aren't nutritionists) that bones can cause blockages/pieces piercing organs etc - it makes me very wary  ph34r
There are the usual issues with raw meat, so good hygiene is important.

I use minces which have offal and bone ground into them as well, as I don't want to feed whole bones (regardless of how safe anyone says they are). This way they get everything and it is pretty balanced. There is still a slight risk of a bone piece getting lodged somewhere but it's considerably smaller than a whole bone.

And yes, freezer space can be an issue.

I can't think of any other disadvantages...  ;)
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »
If you feed nutriment you will eliminate the risk of any problems from bone shards because the bone in it will be ground up.  I use it for mine when they go to stay with friends or on holiday and it is very easy and a "clean" way to feed raw.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »
Thanks, that's what I was thinking  :lol2:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 02:46:27 PM »
Flavour wise, what is best to start off with?

There is salmon/beef/chicken/turkey/duck.  Should I get a mix of flavours and see what suits?

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
I wouldnt get a mixture.  Try say chicken for a few days then introduce other flavours gradually, that way if there is anything that upsets him, you will know which one it is.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 03:03:34 PM »
That's what I meant.  Order say 3 packs of each flavour, try one for a week or so, then another and so on.

Trying to work out portions, they state 2% of dog's weight but this means only around 240g daily, which doesn't seem much when it's not kibble (Archie is 11.2kg now)

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
That's what I meant.  Order say 3 packs of each flavour, try one for a week or so, then another and so on.

Trying to work out portions, they state 2% of dog's weight but this means only around 240g daily, which doesn't seem much when it's not kibble (Archie is 11.2kg now)

Charlie is on 300g. I feed him DAF, it's pre mixed to the relevant quantities of bone, meat and offal.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 04:10:07 PM »
Pippa is 12kg and at 3 years old is on 200g a day of raw food.  She was on 300g but got a bit plump.  200g seems to suit her fine.