Author Topic: Nutriment complete raw - any opinions on this?  (Read 7353 times)

Offline Lottielove

Re: Nutriment complete raw - any opinions on this?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 04:31:11 PM »
I'm interested in this but have been put off as Lottie doesn't have many teeth, and because she has a habit of pulling stuff out of her bowl if she'll actually deign to touch it at all. Not liking the idea of raw meat being dragged all over the house! I might need to have a think to see how it could work.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »
Nutriiment do a starter pack. Might be worth giving them a call.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 05:22:27 PM »
I have just been looking at the nutriment as an option when on holiday.  Does it come frozen?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »
Personally I don't like to feed kibble as well as raw as I don't see the need, but I know there are plenty of people who do so successfully for all sorts of reasons. If you decide to feed both I'd suggest feeding them as 2 separate meals because kibble takes a few hours longer to be digested than raw so I think it's a bit harder on the dog's digestive system having both together than separately.

Have you considered Natural Instinct? http://www.naturalinstinct.com/ or Nature's Menu? http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/

William and Louis have Natural Instinct for about 50% of their meals and "DIY raw" from various sources makes up the other 50%. I tried them on Nutriment some months ago and something in it, possibly the coconut oil, made William throw up, so I went back to Natural Instinct. I think there are probably more Natural Instinct stockists around the country than Nutriment stockists, but worth looking at both websites to see if there's a stockist near you.

Nature's Menu is sold in Pets At Home, so could be useful if there's a PAH near you. They don't tend to stock the full range though and personally I wouldn't feed the raw nuggets with rice in them as dogs don't need rice and the meat content is low.

I don't worry about the hygiene aspect. My dogs are fed in the kitchen, which has a vinyl floor, easily cleanable if they dragged their food out of the bowl (but they don't anyway). Their bowls are taken up and washed after every meal using normal washing up liquid and kitchen roll. When I prepare any raw meat, for the dogs or prior to cooking for people, I just stick to basic hygiene rules and I've never had any problems in 4+ years of raw feeding William and Louis or in the 16 years of raw feeding my previous 2 Cockers.

Edited to add: My 2 drink much less water than when they were fed kibble as they get a lot of the moisture they need from the raw food. They also produce less poo and it's easier to clean up and less smelly :005:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 06:45:55 PM »
Your comment Elaine about not buying the nuggets as they have rice in them, but I notice the complete raw ones also have rice too (apart from the Chicken & Salmon and Tripe one).  Does this mean they are just bulking those up too with rice?

Less drinking and less poo sounds very good to me  :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 06:54:40 PM »
I have another query re the rice - if the food is raw - does that mean the rice is too?. Pardon my ignorance - just a thought
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 07:02:10 PM »
I used to feed raw and used natures menu. The high fat content (my cocker suffered from pancreatitis) meant I had to stop. I did try Archie on it but he wasn't interested. If the hygiene aspect is a worry and you lack freezer space then don't forget you could consider a good quality wet food as an alternative.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
Ah but which ones are high quality?  I'm totally bamboozled, what with previously finding a good kibble, now looking at raw and wet!
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 07:15:42 PM »
Have a look on Which Dog Food

Lily's Kitchen is a good wet food, but it is pricey. Arden Grange do a decent one, we use those as back up tins when I've forgotten to defrost the Natural Instinct and we're in a rush  :005: Wainwrights grain free is reasonably priced, Forthglade, Nature's Menu.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
I feed Minstrel Naturediet adult and he is doing well on that £13.96 for 18 390grm trays. ( you need less than the feeding guide would have you think)  ;) It is considered a good food on the Which Food Guide, as are those mentioned already.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »
I use Wainwrights, both grain free and normal. I don't have a problem with a bit of brown rice in there. I also use Forthglade from time to time. All the ones mentioned by Fluff are good. My Archie was weaned on naturediet and it's what I used in an emergency (I.e. When I forgot to defrost it  ph34r) when I raw fed. Archie went off it though and refused to touch it. Probably would eat it now mind you.  ;)

Offline Mutley

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »
Your comment Elaine about not buying the nuggets as they have rice in them, but I notice the complete raw ones also have rice too (apart from the Chicken & Salmon and Tripe one).  Does this mean they are just bulking those up too with rice?

Less drinking and less poo sounds very good to me  :lol2:

On the Natures Menu website it says: "Par Boiled Rice is a great non starchy carbohydrate which will give your puppy an easy to digest source of b vitamins and minerals."

if that's of any help to anyone!

We are using the Natures Menu puppy nuggets - Archie seems to love them.  Regarding rice, perhaps that's a "puppy thing"? after all, human babies are weaned on "baby rice". Could be that the complete meals for adult dogs don't have rice.

Offline Mutley

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »
and now I've realised that I am NOT in the puppy section at the moment so please ignore my irrelevant post  ^^^^^^
 ph34r

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 09:01:30 PM »
and now I've realised that I am NOT in the puppy section at the moment so please ignore my irrelevant post  ^^^^^^
 ph34r

Just to add that Nature diet Adult food has 10% rice in most of it's varieties, 12% in the Fish & the Sensitive. 5% in puppy

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »
I have just ordered the Nutriment starter pack. I was feeding Wainwrights tray am and raw in evening but thought the Nutriment would be better for breakfast.  Looks really good but she won't touch it  :huh: probably cos it has liver in it and she doesn't like raw liver.  Going to persist though as then I won't wory about her not getting correct vitamins etc  :D