Author Topic: 1 v 2?  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
1 v 2?
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:25:15 PM »
How much more work is it having two cocker spaniels? Other than the obvious: 2 bowls for food/water, 2 beds, 2 fleeces/harnesses/collars/leads/crates is there anything else I should consider?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: 1 v 2?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 12:04:29 AM »
There's lots of extra work at first if your second is a puppy because the puppy will only be able for short walks for a few months and will need training sessions on it's own too. I used to do one short walk with both dogs, one short walk puppy only and one longer walk adult dog only every day. Leaving the puppy while walking the adult also helps to get the puppy used to being home alone and not to become too dependent on the adult dog.

I'm sure you'll already have thought about the long term cost of 2 lots of vet bills, insurance, wormer, food etc.

I think the biggest uncertainty is if the two will get on either as best friends or at least tolerating each other. On a day to day basis one of the least attractive aspects (I think) is when you've been out battling the rain and mud and have two wet, muddy spaniels to get clean and dry when you get home. That seems to take about four times as much effort as one spaniel :lol2:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 12:05:51 AM »
I think 2 is a lot more work, but for me the benefits far outweighs the amount of work.
Initially when Harry arrived, we had to walk him separately from Ben because of the age difference, and exercise requirements. Training needed to be done separately and because my two don't get on very well even playing and getting toys out has to be done separately otherwise they squabble.

Now Ben has hit 12 it's back to separate walks as he can't do as much as Harry now.  My two don't get on very well which raises issues around mealtimes because of food guarding by Harry and there is also some jeleousy around who gets to cuddle first.

But on the plus side twice as much cocker madness and love, wouldn't change it now for the world  :luv:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 12:08:04 AM »
Oh yes agree with Elaine those winter baths with two stinky cockers seems to take forever and the amount of towels we get through..   :lol2:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 12:22:20 AM »
I got over the exercise problem by getting a doggy/pet stroller. I don't have a car so I put Branston pup in that and walked them to the park and then let him have the allowed amount of exercise, then put him in the stroller and bought him home, extending the time as he got older - with Minstrel walking by the side, it meant they both got their exercise and Minstrel didn't feel he was being short-changed.  It's impossible to do formal lead training with Minstrel running about free, so that will come at a later time when I take pup out alone.

The stroller is also handy for carrying all the things you tend to need, poo bags, treats water bottle/bowl and of course balls and toys.  ;)

Think Elaine & Ben's Mum have covered most other things  :D

The biggest challenge was taking them both to the vets on the bus, Branston in the stroller and Minstrel walking, got some funny looks I can tell you  :005:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 12:42:17 AM »
For a while it is harder if only just getting used to having 2 but then you eventually work out a good system

One thing I sometimes had a problem with at beginning was remembering I had two and lost Wilf when he was tiny

The other useful thing I do is not have matching leads with all dogs and have different coloured leads for each so I know what I've got hold of - if there's an issue and you're distracted its easy to think you have both leads (particularly when you have a pup wrapping you all over the place as the 2 dogs don't always walk well together to begin with or walk at different rates).

I now have 4 dogs (did have 5) and tend to have different leads for each so if one slips I know what I've got and what I haven't got ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:10:38 AM »
As ever, COL is a wonderful source of information and experience!

It's something I've considered for around 2 years but dismissed as Pearl hasn't always been in the best of health - other than the occasional tummy upset she's done really well for 14 months now

Currently Pearl has 16 collars, 6 leads and 2 extending leads so I think I may be ok on the identity front  ;) but hadn't considered that before.  I have thought about exercise requirements - luckily Miss P is not "walk dependent" and will benefit from some additional training while the other one catches up on sleep  ;)

Pearl is pretty good with other spaniels now (also Hungarian Wirehaired Viszlas) but I dont think she'll ever let another dog share her bed  :shades: we have had a number of friends dogs to stay over and Pearl is really good around food but was less happy when Pebbles also curled up on the settee - within touching distance  :005:

It's not a fully confirmed yet but very likely I will be getting a rescue WCS (young bitch) this week via CAESSR.

Appreciate your replies and experience, thank you,

Jayne

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 01:25:58 AM »
Just read Johnnydogs post again - some food for thought there....and 2 stair gates to order I think!

i have 2 crates and think both will be in use until both dogs are trustworthy - Pearl really does like hers in the day anyway!

(I'm up at this hour due me: head cold and Pearl: chicken wings for tea that made a reappearance around 30 mins ago  :020: she doesn't seem to be able to digest bones at night  :-\ )

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 06:40:55 AM »
Jane, wcs are slightly more of a challenge  ;) but I'm sure you will do fine. We look forward to seeing the new addition! I understand there is a new restaurant opening in Telford, Wildwood, we have promised the manager, who used to manage the one in Oakham, we will come and visit him. So we may be dragging the van your way

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 07:04:13 AM »
Yay  new addition and a lovely home awaits for a very lucky doglet xx

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 07:32:17 AM »
Jane, wcs are slightly more of a challenge  ;) but I'm sure you will do fine. We look forward to seeing the new addition! I understand there is a new restaurant opening in Telford, Wildwood, we have promised the manager, who used to manage the one in Oakham, we will come and visit him. So we may be dragging the van your way

No need to bring the van John I have a spare room and although the house isn't huge I'm sure we'll do ok with 5 Cockers and 2 cats  ;)

With the lines his one has I think I will definitely have my work cut out but have also been invited to a second shoot nest season so have the summer to get some serious training in and opportunity to work 2 dogs on alternate drives as the new addition will be far too young for a full day out!

Wildwood is in the new town centre in a great position overlooking the lake!

Yay  new addition and a lovely home awaits for a very lucky doglet xx

Thank you Pat  :D I've been up since 5 puppy proofing the house just in case - there is a second girl looking for a home too........

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 08:08:18 AM »
No real advice Jayne apart from what has already been said but how exciting!!

Hope it all goes well and if it does happen we look forward to meeting your new addition.

D, A & F
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 08:11:11 AM »

Thank you Pat  :D I've been up since 5 puppy proofing the house just in case - there is a second girl looking for a home too........

Ha ha its a no from me unfortunately, it wouldnt work with my 7 days a week work schedule albeit flexible  :shades:  A lottery win however ......

Offline kate2

• ** Kiwi & Lilly ** 4yr old WCS girls
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
Yay go for it :D the only disadvantages are that you cant buy one of anything, if its a new toy they both want first go!! :D

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »
Oooh, how exciting. I remember you were thinking of getting a WCS when Archie and I visited so I know you've given it plenty of thought. Absolutely no advice from me as I decided Archie isn't quite trustworthy enough to share his stolen goods toys/bed/me with another dog on a permanent basis. I am sure Pearl will love having a sister to share handbags with!  ;)