Author Topic: Please check the details on your dog's ID tag are correct!  (Read 2408 times)

Offline sodpot2000

Re: Please check the details on your dog's ID tag are correct!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 10:45:04 AM »
I have just checked and the 1992 Order is still in force. Looking rather dated with the advent of microchips. Hopefully it will be amended if and when microchips become compulsory. Buster's tag just says microchipped and a mobile number. If challenged on the issue of the address I would argue incorporation by reference since the microchip has the address and more besides.  In 20 years of knocking around the magistrates courts I am bound to say that I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted over the details of what is on the tag. I think most dog wardens have more to worry about!

Offline rednblack

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »
The problem with relying on the microchip, is that a scanner is needed to read the chip, whereas even half the standard allocation of eyes  ;)  can read a tag or embroidered collar or similar.  Also, microchips have been known to move and relocate themselves in other parts of the dog's body, so may be missed by a brief scan.  They have even been known to fail completely.

I doubt the lawmakers are even aware that this requirement still exists!  Certainly it's as strongly enforced as the old Dog Licences were  :shades: .  It's even weirder that phone numbers are not a requirement.

However, if you are doing the Kennel Club "Good Citizen" training, it is one of the first items checked for at the Bronze level 

"Description of Exercises
Exercise 1 - Cleanliness and Identification
 ... It is a legal requirement to inscribe the name and the address of the owner on the collar or on a plate or disc attached to it. ... Notes: Even if a dog is microchipped, you can be fined if your dog is not wearing the correct
Identification. Telephone numbers are not compulsory but can be very helpful in returning your dog to you in an
emergency. "
(http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/media/21392/gcdsbronze.pdf)

And none of it does the dog any good if the wrong phone number is on the collar, or if the microchip is not updated after a house move.
Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline linda c

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 06:18:30 PM »
Just checked Blue's microchip details and they're correct  :D he has our surname, full address and telephone number on.
It's always been a legal requirement to have those details on for many years.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 06:28:27 PM »
Just checked Blue's microchip details and they're correct  :D he has our surname, full address and telephone number on.
It's always been a legal requirement to have those details on for many years.

Do you mean on his tag?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.