Author Topic: Raw food and weight loss  (Read 6514 times)

Offline CrunchyMand

Raw food and weight loss
« on: June 15, 2015, 10:56:56 AM »
I'm looking into feeding Oscar on a raw food diet, buying in the frozen stuff that I can feed him. But how do I work out how much to feed him. He needs to lose lots of weight, so do I feed him based on his target weight 17kg, or his actual weight he is now?
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline sodpot2000

Re: Raw food and weight loss
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »
Logically, no more than the amount for his target weight I would have thought, but I defer to others with more hands on experience of doggie weight loss programes!

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
For his target weight :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »
Target weight. Adult raw fed dogs are usually fed between 2% and 3% of their ideal bodyweight per day. So based on Oscar's target weight of 17kg you could start him on 2.5% and see how he goes.

17000g x 2.5% = 425g raw food per day.

If you're on Facebook a good raw feeding group to join is Raw Feeding UK, which has a start up guide and lots of useful info. in the files. Raw Feeding Rebels is meant to be good too.

Have you decided what you're going to feed?

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 01:16:27 PM »
Target weight. Adult raw fed dogs are usually fed between 2% and 3% of their ideal bodyweight per day. So based on Oscar's target weight of 17kg you could start him on 2.5% and see how he goes.

If you're on Facebook a good raw feeding group to join is Raw Feeding UK, which has a start up guide and lots of useful info. in the files. Raw Feeding Rebels is meant to be good too.

Please can I crash-in on this topic.
I've just come back from the vets,(booster) Kez who is 5 years old weighs 15k, the vet as written ideal weight 13k.   I only feed her 175g Raw (natures menue) plus breakfast of 1/3rd of an oatibix (to try to bulk up her stools, for her anal glands)  she also has raw vegetables when we have our evening meal.   plus odd treats, but I try not to over-do-these.

My worry is using your calculations she is under-fed by a lot, she should be having 325 /350g of raw, less a little for the oatibix.   No wonder she always seems hungry  :005:              What would you all do  :dunno:   Julie
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline CrunchyMand

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
That's great, I've been reading loads and think this is the way to go for Oscar for his weight loss and for his health, he is quite dandruffy. The dog groomer thinks he has a yeast problem so raw should help with that. I'm going to Pets at Home to look at the Nature's Menu stuff to start me off. Being a vegan I find this hard, but need to do the best for my dog.
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »

I've just come back from the vets,(booster) Kez who is 5 years old weighs 15k, the vet as written ideal weight 13k.   I only feed her 175g Raw (natures menue) plus breakfast of 1/3rd of an oatibix (to try to bulk up her stools, for her anal glands)  she also has raw vegetables when we have our evening meal.   plus odd treats, but I try not to over-do-these.

My worry is using your calculations she is under-fed by a lot, she should be having 325 /350g of raw, less a little for the oatibix.   No wonder she always seems hungry  :005:              What would you all do  :dunno:   Julie

Hi Julie1
Have you thought of adding extra bone to her meals, if her stools need bulking out it could be that she is not getting enough bone in her diet, bone is very important in raw feeding ?

Sharon

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 04:38:49 PM »

Hi Julie1
Have you thought of adding extra bone to her meals, if her stools need bulking out it could be that she is not getting enough bone in her diet, bone is very important in raw feeding ?

Sharon

Thanks Sharon,      I used to give her 1 or 2 chicken wings everyday (depending on size) but the lady where I buy her food said she had spoken to the manufacturers for another person & was told that in the "Chicken" the whole carcases is minced-up, therefore she now has 2 or 3 a week because her meal is often chicken or lamb & chicken, sometimes she has a a lamb rib.   With the oatibix or oats her stools are now larger.   
Today I got the vet to show me how to empty her glands & discovered they are higher-up than normal, so maybe that is why she doesn't empty them normally.    Earlier in the year they became infected so that is why I'm a bit obsessed with them.
It's really the amount of raw food she has compared to the amount she should be having that concerns me & she always seems hungry but is overweight (she has Advocate so no worms)
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline its.sme

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »
I guess some dogs burn food quicker than others, I too am obsessed with my girls weight, I always check that she has a waist from above and that I can feel her ribs with out prodding too much.

Some vets like dogs to be on the lean side , vets have different opinions on most things and the tables on the food packets are just a guide.

If you google body condition score chart you can compare your dog to it.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »
I also raw feed.  I find lamb is really fattening and have to limit how much I give Pearl. 

Dogs don't really understand the concept of variety, to them it's s source of energy unless it's been trained /conditioned into them that eating is a reward  ;) if you find one type of meat that suits both weight loss and the anal gland problem I would stick to it until Oscars goal weight is achieved  :D and don't feel guilty that he's not getting a choice of meals!

I'd also drop the oatibix as they are bound with sugar - I had them until I realised how many calories were in a single one! Far better to increase the bone quantity.  If Oscar is still looking for food raw veg is great to bulk out, provided it's served whole as dogs cannot digest the cellulose in veg or fruit (just as we can't  ;)) if it's pulped or mashed it increases the calorie content and the cellulose is converted to sugars.....which natures menu does.....

Pearl should be 12Kg 8-10 nuggets of natures menu is plenty twice a day for her.

Pearl also had anal glands problems but no amount of fibre or changing her diet stopped the infections.  They were removed 18 months ago and (most of the time, pre-pup  ph34r) she's a lot less grumpy than she was before the procedure.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 09:14:16 PM »
Hi Jinley has been on raw since she was a pup and I have now started to include a small amount of bran flakes in her food on the advice of my vet.  Whilst she was having chicken wings making her poos small and firm, they werent bulky enough to empty her glands (we have just suffered from a nasty abscess) and the bran flakes seem to be working, but will know more after her monthly check up.

You could use veg added to Oscars food to make him feel fuller for longer.

Offline Gertie

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 09:23:23 PM »
Duck necks help my dog with anal probs. Bran made no difference at all. Also removing chicken from her raw diet helped too, the nice lady at Natural instinct suggested that as some dogs don't get on well with it.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 09:28:58 AM »
Hi Jinley has been on raw since she was a pup and I have now started to include a small amount of bran flakes in her food on the advice of my vet.  Whilst she was having chicken wings making her poos small and firm, they werent bulky enough to empty her glands (we have just suffered from a nasty abscess) and the bran flakes seem to be working, but will know more after her monthly check up.

You could use veg added to Oscars food to make him feel fuller for longer.

This is how Kez's poos were.    It was the vet who told me it wasn't bulky enough to empty the glands and to add bran (which didn't seem to do anything) or oats.   Last year because of itching I dropped off any wheat products, hence oats.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline its.sme

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 10:03:10 AM »
That's great, I've been reading loads and think this is the way to go for Oscar for his weight loss and for his health, he is quite dandruffy. The dog groomer thinks he has a yeast problem so raw should help with that. I'm going to Pets at Home to look at the Nature's Instinct stuff to start me off. Being a vegan I find this hard, but need to do the best for my dog.

It will help with the yeast problem, some raw feeders limit added fruit and veg as this can add to the yeast.

It can take a while for you to see improvements, for Bea her coat was softer etc in around 3 weeks but her yeast infections took a few months.

Good luck.
Sharon.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 11:27:59 AM »
I checked the ingredient list on oatibix last night and they do contain sugar.  2 biscuits = 190 so 1/3 of 1 is a huge 32 calories which is around 5% of a dogs daily intake!

I've also just educated myself on gravy bones (35 cals each) milky bones (40 cals each) and Dentalstix which are 70 calories each  :o

Off to purchase carrots  ph34r