Author Topic: Insurance Confusion  (Read 4198 times)

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
Insurance Confusion
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »
My nan has a springer spaniel who recently went in for an op to remove a benign mass from her leg, everything went ok with this thankfully.  The insurance company (Animal Friends) processed the claim as expected paying above the excess but then contacted my nan to explain that they have had to alter the level of cover for her as our vets have told them that Bonnie is "aggressive with a history of biting" therefore they have had to remove all liability cover from the policy.  Bonnie isn't aggressive at all and is a brilliant companion dog for my nan. I immediately contacted the vets to try and get to the bottom of this.  It turns out that that the insurance company have picked up from Bonnies notes (which were sent in with the claim) that when she was a puppy she used to mouth, which my nan must have mentioned at a puppy party/check-up over 9yrs ago - Bonnie is now 9 and a half yrs old!  The insurance company "cannot" change anything as it has apparently already been logged onto their system, so now our vet is writing to them to vouch for her character and temperament.  I'm really annoyed about this as it has caused great worry and upset to my nan and potentially means that her renewal price could increase dramatically.  Our vets had never heard of anything like this happening before, has anyone had any experience of anything similar? I'm hoping its all a misunderstanding and can be resolved quickly...
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Insurance Confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:59:37 PM »
That's outrageous! Do hope you manage to sort it!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 12:34:37 AM »
I know at times my insurance company tried to suggest one of my claims was due to my dog having a fight when it actually was a dog well known on the park for not have any brakes and would crash into people and other dogs and as a result crashed into Wilf one day (other dog was over twice the size/weight as Wilf was) just as Wilf was going in another direction and as a result he flew in the air and twisted his back - it took ages to remove the insurance company 'diagnosis' description.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:59:07 PM »
Thanks both for your replies.  The vets letter is now on its way so hopefully we can get it resolved soon!
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
Re: Insurance Confusion - Update! Getting nowhere...
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:25:00 AM »
Well we've had a letter back from the insurance company who say although they have received the letter from the vets explaining that the notes refer to normal puppy behaviour they have said they will not change the information they have and will not reinstate the full coverage.  So frustrated as not sure what else we can do.  I'm worried that my nan's renewal price may increase drastically and Bonnie is left labelled as something she is not.  The insurance company are now also saying that nan should have told them about Bonnie's "behaviour" when she took out the policy (a few years ago).

Any suggestions on what to do next?? Thanks in advance :D
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 05:00:32 PM »
Not sure if this link to the Ombudsmen will help but the bit around "where the premium has increased" might result in them looking at the case  :dunno:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/pet-insurance.htm

Might be worth a try.

Sharon.

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »
Are they just refusing to pay out on public liability? If so I would have a word with Dogs Trust, with whom I have PL only, for which I only paid £20 or so for 12 months. Off the top of my head I think it's for £2m.

I would speak to them and explain your situation and say that your vet is willing to explain their notes.

In the mean time I would write to the underwriters asking them to explain in writing why they are refusing to accept the vets explanation within the next 10 days and if they won't change their decision you will take it to the Ombudsman.

I'm afraid I have little faith in insurance companies, believing them to find any reason not to payout, but willing to take your premiums.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:46:35 AM »
Thanks both for your replies, its really useful :D

Yes it's just they public liability which they have now excluded from the policy,  I have now got them to confirm that this would not cause the premium to increase and I'm asking for this in writing.  Our vets are going to send in further information to vouh for her character and they will 'review' it.  If we get nowhere then I will definilty talk to nan about taking it to the underwriters and then ombudsman if necessary. What I cannot seem to get them to understand or comment on is that do they ask every new policy holder if their dog ever mouthed as a pup and that there is a difference in this normal puppy behaviour and a dog attacking/biting a person.  They say that they have to take the clinical notes as "true and accurate" but they are not taking the vets letter which gives their full opinion of her character and temperament as "true and accurate." The initial comments weren't actually even written by a vet but one of the reception/nursing staff. Its all very frustrating but although we know Bonnie isn't a risk to anyone I feel we've got to keep pursuing it now on principle... 
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline tenaille

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:53:49 AM »
The Ombudsman can be very effective and well worth trying.  I used the Pensions Ombudsman after a long running dispute over my AVC contributions and got a resolution plus a goodwill payment very quickly.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 04:55:39 PM »
I hope you get this issue resolved,

What if someone told their insurers that their Pup never mouthed, would they be believed ?

It's normal behaviour otherwise how do they learn about the world around them.

Sharon.