Author Topic: Vestibular syndrome  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Vestibular syndrome
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:00:57 AM »
My poor Ben has got vestibular syndrome and its horrible  :'(  We noticed he was wobbly on his legs on Wed night, but put it down to being groggy after his Loxicom. On Thursday morning he was dragging his back leg and my first thought was that his back had gone again so booked him in for the vet.  By the time of the appointment he had developed a slight head tilt, but no nystagmus so initially the vet wasn't sure if it was vestibular or a problem with his spine /neck that was making him wobbly.
However by the time I got him home he had such a pronounced head tilt he couldn't sit up and has lost the ability to stand up at all  :'( :'(  he has also developed nystagmus. 

This is just horrible and devastating to see. This morning he just can't sit up or stand.  We have been given some medication to try to improve the circulation to his brain and the vet said the first 3 or 4 days are difficult but usually its possible to make a reasonable recovery, particularly as he was reasonably fit for his age before. Obviously there are no guarantees and she said some dogs don't recover but we are keeping everything crossed he will be one of the lucky ones.

I cant bear seeing him so unwell its heart-breaking, please keep your fingers crossed for him.   

Offline tenaille

Re: Vestibular syndrome
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 11:07:07 AM »
everything crossed for Ben, wishing him a speedy recovery

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 11:07:33 AM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Poor Ben. Sending lots of healing thoughts and love to you. xx

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »
Oh poor Ben, sending lots of positive thoughts for a speedy recovery  :luv:
:bigarmhug:
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 11:31:08 AM »
Poor Ben! And poor you, nothing worse than seeing our dogs unwell  :bigarmhug: Hope he feels better soon!

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
So sorry to hear about Ben :016: sending lots of :luv: :luv: and  :bigarmhug: for a full recovery
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline lescef

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »
So sad to ready this.  They do worry us. Hope he makes a good recovery. Wuffs from us. X
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 01:25:36 PM »
Hi Ben's mum

Try not to worry too much. My oldest had this and is was so sudden. We had been out walking the day before and then when she wake up the following morning I though she had had a stroke, she was staggering and very unstable. Not too much of a head tilt. As she was 14, we took her straight to the vets and they kept her in overnight and gave her lots of fluids. Fortunately she picked up really quickly and although was still a little unsteady came home and was ok. I made the mistake of looking on line  :o and saw that some of them don't recover or are left with a head tilt.

I'm sure the vet is giving Ben all they can and will get him stable. How old is Ben?

Give him a hug from us all and keep us posted on his progress.
Anita

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »
Get well soon Ben. Sending best wishes for a quick recovery  :luv: :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 01:55:48 PM »
So sorry to read this, it must be so  distressing. Have fingers, paws and everything crossed that Bem will be ok, sendng healing thoughts and lots and lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 02:26:34 PM »
Poor Ben, I do hope he gets better soon. Milo had it,  but not too badly and he recovered. Try not to scare yourself witless with stuff on the internet, easier said than done, I know  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: it's distressing for us to watch them suffer, thinking of you both.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
So sorry to read about dear Ben, am thinking about you both

Sending healing thoughts
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »
Very sorry to read this, sending  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you both x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 07:13:06 PM »
Poor Ben, it's a very distressing condition, and upsetting for you too, seeing him feeling so unwell.

A friend's 14 year old Cocker had it a year or so ago and made a good recovery, especially as he already had some mobility problems. The nystagmus went after a couple of days and once that happened he started to feel better. His head tilt disappeared after a while and the only long term effect was that he became very sensitive to noise. I'm not sure if that's common with vestibular because he was already a bit noise sensitive.

My friend's Golden Retriever, Ruby, had it last May, aged 14, and she was very poorly for several days. Because she has terrible hips and mobility problems my friend came close to saying goodbye to Ruby a few times in the first few days. Ruby was really frightened and didn't have the confidence to get up and move round, so had to be lifted and then helped to walk with a towel underneath her as a sling. But she was still eating well and still responding to everything going on around her.

She improved slowly and regained her confidence, but she still has a head tilt and that makes her worried sometimes. She's fine outdoors and in her own home, but if she comes to my house I have to get all my spare doormats and rugs out and put them down in the hall and kitchen where the floor is a bit slippery. It must be odd looking at the world a bit skewed all the time.

I really hope Ben improves soon. It seems to vary from dog to dog, but once the nystagmus stops their world stops spinning and mostly they start to regain their balance and confidence.

Sending some hugs for you and Ben  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 08:07:42 PM »
Fingers crossed for Ben and big :bigarmhug: for you
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly