Author Topic: Puppy help  (Read 3262 times)

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: Puppy help
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »
One thing I was going to ask advice on is that he seems to be very cooperative at home (e.g does his commands) but when i'm out he seems to just ignore me.
Anyone else get this? and any advice on improving this. I know he gets what i'm saying but he seems to have selective hearing  :lol2:

He is still a baby let him have is puppyhood I don't start to seriously train pups until 6 month cockers can be slow to mature Teal was 10 months before the training got serious just give a little bit of recall training best way to hide behind a tree or bush keep eye on him as soon as you notice he is looking for you call him just keep it all fun fun fun. Same as walking to heel puppies just cant take this in at 3 months so they in fact learn to pull so use a harness around 6 months put a collar on this will be a new thing that he hasn't learnt to pull on and his heelwork will be so much easier. 
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »
One thing I was going to ask advice on is that he seems to be very cooperative at home (e.g does his commands) but when i'm out he seems to just ignore me.
Anyone else get this? and any advice on improving this. I know he gets what i'm saying but he seems to have selective hearing  :lol2:

He is still a baby let him have is puppyhood I don't start to seriously train pups until 6 month cockers can be slow to mature Teal was 10 months before the training got serious just give a little bit of recall training best way to hide behind a tree or bush keep eye on him as soon as you notice he is looking for you call him just keep it all fun fun fun. Same as walking to heel puppies just cant take this in at 3 months so they in fact learn to pull so use a harness around 6 months put a collar on this will be a new thing that he hasn't learnt to pull on and his heelwork will be so much easier.

Thanks JeffD appreciate your comment. Don't worry I don't do much training whilst out walking as he seems very focused on everything else but me  :lol: so I just walk along and he follows. Its only really at home he seems to give me full attention.
I have purchased one of those harnesses so hopefully that will help regarding the pulling

Offline Ang-Bob

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
Agree to keep everything fun especially when out walking. As you've bought a clicker & youve 'loaded' it so he knows what the click means food, use it at home for behaviours he already knows i.e. sit etc. Then take it out with his treats on walks, anytime he looks at you click treat, anytime he's by your side click treat, you aren't asking him to do anything but rewarding him for paying you some attention. Great fun for the pup with the added bonus of focusing on you being highly reinforcing for him  ;)

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
Agree to keep everything fun especially when out walking. As you've bought a clicker & youve 'loaded' it so he knows what the click means food, use it at home for behaviours he already knows i.e. sit etc. Then take it out with his treats on walks, anytime he looks at you click treat, anytime he's by your side click treat, you aren't asking him to do anything but rewarding him for paying you some attention. Great fun for the pup with the added bonus of focusing on you being highly reinforcing for him  ;)

Thank you - I will give this a go

Offline Becikwood

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »
Hi, I have to add something but not to confuse you regarding walking. There is no scientific prove that 'the 5 minutes' rule works. On of the breeders came up with this idea for the Labradors. However it is important for puppy  to build up a protective muscle around the joints. Off leash walks are fine - puppy will walk at his/her own pace. My working cocker is strong and muscular and always was full of energy. Stay away from stairs and slippery floors and in many cases joint problems could be down to breeding and genetics. Would like to point out that neutering cockers before one year old will effect their bones and it is scientifically proved. I would recommend a raw food and less pesticides but of course it's your call. We all want the best for our dogs but the simple things are usually the best, just enjoy your 'rascal ' 🐾🐾😆