Author Topic: Hello from Aberdeenshrie  (Read 3008 times)

Offline LisaL

Hello from Aberdeenshrie
« on: March 27, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
Hello :D

I am Lisa and a new mummy to a 3 yr old working cocker called Diesel. He has helped me smile again after suddenly losing my Lab girly nearly 2 months ago. I was a member of this site yonks ago when I had a show cocker and found it very helpful and friendly.

Hoping some people with gundogs or ex gundogs can give me some tips and advise about how to keep my wee man happy

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Hello from Aberdeenshrie
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »
Hi Lisa and welcome.  I am sure there will be some folk able to give advice should you need it, plus a couple of members spring to mind in Scotland too.

Its a sad time when we loose a beloved friend, but your new little friend will ease the loss and they are all there own little characters.

Glad you are with us once again

Julie and Ollie dog
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »
Hi Lisa
Has deisel been trained to the gun in any way ??
Ian
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 06:24:36 PM »
Hi and welcome back! I'm sure Diesel will help heal the hole that losing  your old friend left in your heart!
Lots of tips and support always available on here whether for show or working cockers! Look forward to seeing pictures!, ;)

Offline LisaL

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 08:59:14 AM »
Hello everyone.

IPS- he came from a chap who works his own dogs and does field trials so Diesel knows a bit. He sits and recalls to the whistle but seems uninterested in picking up toys or even the rabbit dummy I bought. A question ill be asking about later haha. I received his Petlog details last night and he's not actually 3 but 6 >:( It makes no difference as I love the wee dog to pieces but rather disappointing

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
Hello everyone.

IPS- he came from a chap who works his own dogs and does field trials so Diesel knows a bit. He sits and recalls to the whistle but seems uninterested in picking up toys or even the rabbit dummy I bought. A question ill be asking about later haha. I received his Petlog details last night and he's not actually 3 but 6 >:( It makes no difference as I love the wee dog to pieces but rather disappointing

Interesting. One would assume given his background that he would be fully trained ??
Strange why no interest in retrieving !!!

Offline LisaL

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 11:11:07 AM »
Hello everyone.

Interesting. One would assume given his background that he would be fully trained ??
Strange why no interest in retrieving !!!

he said at the time he had Diesel for a year so I've tried to contact the breeder from the Petlog data for more history. I don't intend to work him so its not an issue however I would like him to retrieve and play searching games. My lab would have retrieved thin air if asked so this is new to me :005:

Offline ips

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »
Once he is settled he will probably start retrieving things you didn't want retrieving, socks t towels toilet roll etc etc 😁

Offline LisaL

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »
hahah I hope so. I enjoy interactive games with them. I've been trying to make it fun and throwing the dummy in the air and letting him jump to catch it which he seems to love. But I only do it 3-4 times then stop as I want to keep it exciting and stress free.

Offline ips

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 11:52:34 AM »
I have heard many gundog trainers say that they only give a few retrieves per day in order to keep the dog keen. I don't comprehend this because from getting eze at six months (un trained at that stage) she will retrieve anything (ball, dummy, bird) all day and I mean all day without ever losing any interest in doing so. She is totally and utterly ball / retrieve obsessed.
I am no expert but have you tried a ball on a rope, tug game then "dead" or "leave" (or whatever command to give) then chuck it for a retrieve. Dog will by then have a higher level of excitement and a desire to "possess" the object again.
Tug games with working dogs is frowned on by many but I think it can be used to good effect and incorporate a few commands in one.

Just a thought but is it possible that deisel has been trained to be steady to a thrown object and has been trained that well that without the appropriate release command he will not "get out" I am thinking that the bloke you got him from must have trained him or why would a FT bloke have him ??
I bet there is a very good working dog in there and you just need to release the genie 😁

Offline LisaL

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 12:06:22 PM »
Both my previous dogs, Lab and show cocker have been excellent at retrieving anything I have thrown and loved search games in the field. "Find my glove" was a firm favourite of my Lab's :luv: Ive tried tying a rope to the rabbit dummy and spinning it round. This worked once then his interest veered off to the rest of the garden. He did bring me a dead rabbit with great joy a few weeks back, sat to let me take it and be praised....so there's an instinct in there!
Possibly as I can ask him to sit, throw an object and he wont move a muscle. When released he goes towards it, some times picks up and delivers or drops it again sometimes ignores it completely. The last week with the very small sessions of wiggly wiggly chuck in the air, he's been retrieving each time back to me so may just take time

In all other ways I cannot fault him :luv:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 09:30:52 PM »
It appears we have a robot or troll on the forum - I've reported already - sorry LisaL and welcome back!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 10:52:13 PM »
Getting sorted ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 09:42:18 AM »
Welcome Lisa, we are in Angus so not so far from you. We have a show cocker type, who is two and filled the vacuum left by Milo, the dog in my avatar.

Dylan will not retrieve either, those he loves to chase after a thrown object, and is brilliant at sniffing things out. He just chases after something, the. Either he drops,it or runs away with it so we have to go after him and pick it up. All my previous dogs have retrieved without being taught, so I am at a loss myself how to get him to retrieve.  All dogs are different, so,guess we got one of the awkward ones!

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo