Author Topic: Hello from Sunny Blackpool  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Buck

Hello from Sunny Blackpool
« on: April 13, 2017, 11:16:23 PM »
Hi, my name's Rob (aka Buck) and I'm owned by Charlie my 9-10mth old English golden cocker spaniel and we live in Blackpool, ok it's not so sunny.
So far so good with Charlie, he's already house trained, great with everyone and every dog he meets, so much so it's hard to get anywhere as he has to stop and say hello to one and all.
We do have a bit of separation anxiety which we hope to overcome, travel sickness in the car (getting better if he sticks head out) and his recall is Terrible and none existent if he spots another dog in the distance and he pulls a lot so wears a harness.
He has the most loving nature and really funny personality, is a bit of a wimp but that's ok lol.
Glad i found this place and apologies for a long introductory post. I'll try to post a pic or two if i can find any that he's awake in once i upload some to photo bucket for IMG code.
Kind regards Buck

[IMG]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/Buck2003/IMG-20170402[IMG]

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Hello from Sunny Blackpool
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 06:50:06 AM »
Hi Buck, a big welcome to you and Charlie. He sounds like an perfectly normal cocker pup and lots of us on here have had one, if not all of the issues you describe, - there's always lots of help and advice available and if you read through some of the past posts you'll most likely find interesting tips too. I can strongly recommend the "How to teach a perfect recall", everyone has different priorities but for us, that was my first one.
Pleeeease don't take this the wrong way, but be careful about Charlie holding his head out of the car window, wind and dust can cause eye and ear problems, particularly to cockers. Humphrey doesn't particularly like car journeys but we have managed to get him to settle down a bit better now, by changing a few things, - its a bit of trial and error really, they're all different!
Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing about Charlie's adventures!!

Offline Buck

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 05:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I've searched and found the recall post you mentioned and will give that a go. No offence taken regarding the dust and wind while in the car, he can't actually get his head out as he has a seat belt strap that clips to his harness restricting how far he can go. Still I've found that with the windows down he'll get as close as possible and sniff at the air. Prior to this he was to little or was in a travel carrier and couldn't and would be sick before we'd travelled a mile.

When i go out he cries/barks or howls for 5 mins then goes to sleep in a large dog cage/crate that he's use to. I have to do this or he'd be destructive and potentially chew through a mains wire, strip the wall paper, doors and carpet.
I also forgot to mention that i think he's a mix of show/working cocker as his head and ears look like a show cocker but his coat and athletic build seems to look more like a working dog. Not that it matters to me as i love to walk.
I'll try to post a pic.

Thanks again.

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 05:54:25 PM »
Lovely dog, same colour as my eze. Looks working from that pic but difficult to tell.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 06:16:37 PM »
He's gorgeous  :luv:
FWIW, I'd say he's more 'show' type - round head and long ears - but he could well be a mix, it matters not, and they both come in a variety of shapes & sizes..

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 07:16:59 PM »
Looks very like Humphrey, he's show. Charlie has a beautiful coat, lovely looking boy!!

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 08:36:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum. He's gorgeous. My first cocker was a lover of an open car window. So much so that he used to open it himself if we forgot to put the safety lock in the switch!! 

Offline Buck

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 09:34:12 PM »
Thank you all for your replies and kind words.
I'm looking forward to hearing about the antics of other people's cockers as they really do have lovely and funny personalities.

Once again thank you.