Author Topic: Lingo  (Read 9172 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Lingo
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 05:27:35 PM »
So pleased you posted this, I've lost the plot quite often while reading threads on here cos I hadn't got  a clue what a lot of you were on about!! Will follow this with due attention now and hope to learn something!!  :005:

Are there any of the names/commands you would an explanation of?

Thanks Jayne, can't think of any more at the moment, its all been very enlightening though!!  ;)

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 05:25:27 PM »
Having watched a few videos of the cocker championships, especially Ian Openshaw, who seems to win or be very close every year, I notice that he shouts something to his dog as it get in the vicinity of the shot bird. But I can't understand what he is saying.

Any ideas?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 05:47:53 PM »
Having watched a few videos of the cocker championships, especially Ian Openshaw, who seems to win or be very close every year, I notice that he shouts something to his dog as it get in the vicinity of the shot bird. But I can't understand what he is saying.

Any ideas?

Mr Openshaw shout? On the shoots I've hear Hi-Lost or Find-it usually for retrievers, spaniels tend to be "there, there" if voice is used  ;) or a long pip, followed by short pip on the whistle.......

Offline ips

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 06:19:03 PM »
Yes its hi lost
There is also hi on.

It derives from old English "hie" to move quickly.

So its "get on with finding the lost bird in that area" sort of thing.

Apparently
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »

Any ideas?

Mr Openshaw shout? On the shoots I've hear Hi-Lost or Find-it usually for retrievers, spaniels tend to be "there, there" if voice is used  ;) or a long pip, followed by short pip on the whistle.......

Having watched the videos again, it sounds more like "Lars" to me. No idea if it actually is Lars getting shouted but it certainly sounds like it.

Offline ips

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »

Any ideas?

Having watched the videos again, it sounds more like "Lars" to me. No idea if it actually is Lars getting shouted but it certainly sounds like it.

Its definetely "hi lost" however it tends to come out as "hi lo" it will be his Lancashire accent. Incidentally he is from a village three miles from my home.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »

Any ideas?

Its definetely "hi lost" however it tends to come out as "hi lo" it will be his Lancashire accent. Incidentally he is from a village three miles from my home.

He also says 'git oot'  :lol2:
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 03:15:14 PM »
I use 'git' too. But as a noun, not a verb. Usually preceding by 'You little....'
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 03:55:07 PM »

Any ideas?

Ha, yes no idea why as that's not his native accent 😁

Offline ips

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »

Any ideas?

Ha, yes I use that as well as other well chosen expletives 😁

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »

Any ideas?

It's not the native accent of most of the people who copy him either!

Offline ips

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »
I noted the other week that philipa Williams uses "git oot"
I am thinking its done to avoid confusion between get on and some other command get out or get back maybe, I didn't get chance to ask her.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 04:09:22 PM »
I am thinking its done to avoid confusion between get on and some other command get out or get back maybe, I didn't get chance to ask her.
Don't know.  Not sure what's wrong with plain 'out'?  'Get' in front of everything seems a bit verbose and more confusing?!  I don't say 'hup' either.  :lol2:

Offline ips

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »
Don't know.  Not sure what's wrong with plain 'out'?  'Get' in front of everything seems a bit verbose and more confusing?!  I don't say 'hup' either.  :lol2:

Good point. I used to say out but it has evolved into get out, I don't know why.
I tried hup mainly to sound like I was a "propper" gundog bloke and knew what I was doing 😁  that evolved into a sit hup, don't know why on that either ,😁

Offline ips

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 01:14:40 PM »
Blanking in - pushing birds back into the drive (wood) on a shoot day.

Dogging in - pushing birds back into the pen (wood) before the season starts

With dogs of course