Author Topic: Getting a second cocker 😊  (Read 1577 times)

Offline bessymate4eva

Getting a second cocker 😊
« on: June 16, 2017, 07:58:46 PM »
Hi guys I havnt been on this forum for quite a while now. We have decided that now is the right time to get a second cocker which will be a puppy. Some of you know I have a lovely adult cocker called chester who is now 5  :lol:. He has grown up so much and has turned into a lovely kind and caring dog  :D. We will be picking up the new arrival on the 25th june and it is a female lemon and white cocker  :D. Im really excited but at the same time a little nervous about introducing her to chester. I know its not going to be easy having another cocker as we have had our fair share of problems with chester but managed to come out the other side ( what am I letting myself in for  :005:). I hopefully have some more knowledge this time around. Any advice when introducing her to chester?

Offline hoover

Re: Getting a second cocker 😊
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:42:47 PM »
Congratulations on your new pup!  No experience of this myself but others on the forum do.  If it was my dog I would probably have the pup in the house first and then bring Ollie in from outside to say hello as he can have a bit of a meltdown when already inside and people come in to see him and this procedure lessens that kind of nervous, territorial behaviour.  But Ollie is a very.....*special* ahem, dog.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:39:10 PM »
Whenever I've introduced a new pup it has been in the garden rather than the house, so they can sniff and get the measure of each other with space around them, and somehow it seems less territorial than the house, which has all the resident dog's bits and pieces in it.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:25:49 PM »
Some really useful information on the forum if you search previous posts.

I posted 2 1/2 years ago:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=114161.0

It works most of the time but we do have the occasional "spat" - think this is to be expected in a multi dog household x

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »
Whenever we have introduced a second dog we have always made sure that the resident dog went with us and 'brought' the new one home. That has worked for us - but it may equally be dumb luck! Hopefully, Chester will feel protective towards the little one and take her under his wing, doing most of the training for you.

Offline bessymate4eva

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 02:20:35 PM »
Thankyou for the advice everyone  :D. Fingers crossed it goes ok  :D

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »
Wow, that's amazing news. I've often wondered what became of you, as you were having problems with Chester, I was worried that you had rehomed him. Well done on sticking with him.
I now have a second cocker, she was a surprise birthday present two years ago! It took a while for Honey to get get used to her, but now they get on really well. Pip adores Honey, I think she looks upon her as her replacement mum.
Her they are on our way on a camping trip

[photo not available]

Poor Pip is at the vets at the moment have a grass seed removed from her ear!!

Good luck and keep us posted xxx
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline bessymate4eva

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »
Wow, that's amazing news. I've often wondered what became of you, as you were having problems with Chester, I was worried that you had rehomed him. Well done on sticking with him.
I now have a second cocker, she was a surprise birthday present two years ago! It took a while for Honey to get get used to her, but now they get on really well. Pip adores Honey, I think she looks upon her as her replacement mum.
Her they are on our way on a camping trip

Poor Pip is at the vets at the moment have a grass seed removed from her ear!!

Good luck and keep us posted xxx

Thankyou, Ahh honey and pip are so beautiful 😍. Honey has grown so much since I was last on here shes a beauty. I hope pip is ok at the vets it sounds awful hope she gets better soon.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 12:57:21 PM »
We had problems with an introduction, with a 2nd bitch as the older dog who was 7 then resented her and it took 2 weeks solid work to get her to accept the puppy, after that we always let the girly have a puppy and kept one, but even this wasnt problematic as mother and daughter would squabble over our posessions as the daughter got very possessive and they would scrap. However dog and bitch may be a lot easier as boys are gen better with girls

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 02:28:31 PM »
Hi.  How are you getting on with the new pup?  Would love to know.  We're picking up our 2nd one next week and am filled with excitement and wondering what have I done!  Thought it would be good for Benji - fingers crossed. 
Hope Chester is getting on OK with pup.