Author Topic: Puppy stealing adult dogs food  (Read 1612 times)

Offline bessymate4eva

Puppy stealing adult dogs food
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:15:42 AM »
We just recently got our new cocker spaniel puppy Lucy who is 8 weeks old. We have always free fed Chester as he likes to pick at his food through the day but this has caused problems with the new pup. She is a gobbler  :005: the complete opposite to Chester any food she can have she will have it. She keeps taking Chesters adult food which Chester is not happy about and other side is chester trying to eat hers too but not as much as her. What can I do to stop the pup from keep taking it we keep trying to steer her away but she keeps going back  :huh:. This is a new experience for us as not used to two dogs. We have ordered the puppy version of the same food that Chester has hoping this will help.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Puppy stealing adult dogs food
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:22:33 AM »
Not really surprising - most dogs will take any food that they can get at.  How is she supposed to know which bowl is hers?  If there is food within her reach then she will eat it - my dog is nearly 12 and there is no way I could leave any food down that is not hers  :shades:

Just feed them separately - it is sensible anyway, as you will then know who is eating what, plus it will eliminate any potential problems with guarding etc  ;)

We have ordered the puppy version of the same food that Chester has hoping this will help.

It won't, sorry!  :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »
Do you have a space where Chester can go and get away from the puppy for a bit of peace and quiet? That would probably be a good idea in any case, and you could maybe feed him there too. He also might stop grazing and clear his bowl when he's given it now he knows there is danger of it being scarfed up!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:41:23 AM »
My personal advice would be to try and get Chester used to not having his food around all day, leave it down for a little while, if he's a picky eater, but after a maximum of half an hour, I would honestly remove it until the next meal time. It could be he does end up going hungry for a little while but he will eventually learn the new routine and I can guarantee you, he won't die of starvation! I would also still feed them separately but at least you know who's eating what and it'll prevent any potential fights over food in the long run.
My first dog was a dreadful eater and I used to have food down all the time but in the end, I made a rod for my own back and  I swore I'd never do it again. I wouldn't have ever allowed my children to mess about with food, -"  eat it or leave it but once you've got down from the table, there's nothing til teatime! ", so why should the dog be favoured any differently?  :005:
I've never had two dog simultaneously, so might be talking through my hat but I would imagine that having a set routine and set rules will help them both adapt.
Best of luck!  :D

Offline bessymate4eva

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
Thankyou all for the advice everyone. Ive just fed them both and chester ate his straight away londongirl you were right as he now thinks shes going to pinch it so eats it all  :005:. I gave his first then the puppies. She did try to make a run for his bowl at first but once she got hers she was fine. When chester finished I picked up his bowl and then hers when she had finished so chester and her wont be picking at the food now. Hopefully they will both get used to a strict mealtime  :lol:

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 05:57:15 PM »
It's so tough learning all these things you would never have thought about! I hope it continues to get easier x
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 12:04:47 AM »
I have 3 dogs and feed the two youngest in their own crates and Minstrel the eldest in the kitchen. I do this because otherwise greedy Branston (the middle one), who regularly eats like he has not seen food in a week, will eat his own meal and then chase the others off theirs - usually quite menacingly, and I feel that they should all be able to eat their own meals without having to worry about losing it to Branston.

It's funny though because when it comes to treat biscuits they will sit next to each other and wait their turn with no hint of rushing or nastiness.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.