Author Topic: 2nd Cocker Spaniel...neutering advice please!  (Read 1798 times)

Offline jen1876

2nd Cocker Spaniel...neutering advice please!
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:12:50 PM »
Hello! Been quite a while since i last posted here  :D
Jasper is now nearly 6 and has grown into a lovely natured dog. We are in a position to get him a companion from his breeder who has a lovely two year old bitch available. If all goes well we will have her spayed but have had conflicting advice about whether we should have Jasper neutered. Does anyone have any experience of spayed females living with entire males?
The lovely lady who bred him has suggested lots of walks together to let them meet up before we decide to have her or not. Any advice on how best to introduce them? Sorry for long winded post! It's good to be back x

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: 2nd Cocker Spaniel...neutering advice please!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:31:58 PM »
Hi 🙂. The advice re introducing them is good. I've had 2 entire males live with a spayed bitch. No problems at all. No need to neuter your boy if the bitch is spayed. Good luck with the introductions - hope it goes well and you end up with a friend for your boy  :luv:
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline jen1876

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 10:43:23 PM »
Thankyou for replying. Thats really good news. The thing I'm struggling with is how best to manage the timing of her spay. She is currently still with her owner and will not be spayed before she comes to us. All going well with initial introductions she will come to us in around 4 weeks time. Not sure whether to get her spayed immediately or wait until she's more established in our family. Her owner thinks she will come into season around October. I don't know much about these things but I'm.presuming that if she's not in season then we don't need to rush too much? Sorry if this sounds silly but i want to.get things as right as possible!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 11:30:57 PM »
As a rescue we often get dogs spayed shortly after they arrive with us and leaving it till later means she may come into season so unless you're prepared to kennel one of your dogs for the period of her season I'd say go for it as soon as or even get the breeder to do it just beforehand - she can still come to you soon after
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 09:35:36 AM »
I'd do as Pennyb suggested - have her done as soon as. Get it over with. Then she can get on with settling in, and less chance of any accidents.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline jen1876

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 08:52:46 PM »
Thankyou both. Will have a chat with her breeder and see if she would.consider hanging on to her until she recovers from her spay. If not will get it.done as soon as she comes to.us.