Author Topic: game season getting closer  (Read 5570 times)

Offline ips

game season getting closer
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »
Don't know about anyone else but I am getting itchy for the start of the season so to get ourselves in the mood ( those of us that work ) how about a quick rundown of what you have planned.

I will start us off...
End of August I will start helping my keeper mate by dogging in every day up until end of October.
First shoot on estate is 30th Oct (and every Monday for duration of season) I will be beating with eze but every few weeks she will have a day off as I will be employed as a "minder/loader" end of season we will have a few boundary days, a beaters day then a couple of roost shoots. Estate shoot is mainly pheasant with maybe 15% if bag being partridge (Frenchies)
Syndicate shoot starts 4th Nov then every other Saturday for the duration walk one stand one so eze will alternate between beating and peg dog. Lynn is planning on picking up with eze on a few days while I am shooting.
I may have some other offers on the table but not sure yet.

Off you go ...😉
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: game season getting closer
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »
Sounds good!

Im still working on steadiness and will be back in the pen on Friday this week.  Day on pigeons early August which times nicely for poults arrival.  Dogging in commences with no1 dog (Pearl) but will only be weekends as we still live 25 miles away!

One shoot has gone this year.  The big shoot will start in earnest Aug onwards, some dogging in and a couple of work days - possible charlie overnighters if I'm lucky and bribe the Gamekeeper with cake!

Commercial shoot are keen for Coral to be out this season - I think it will be way too soon for her but at least shes stopped bogging off and is a whole lot more biddable than she was even a month ago!

I'm not sure how many days I have yet as quite a few overlap - I will be out every saturday from first in November to end January and 2 days a week until end January when real work interferes and I will be stuck in the office 29-31! Out on 1 Feb tho!  At least 1 day on partidge in September.  Oct will be final prep on the military shoot and possibly a couple of days on the local very big shoot that Coral (not me!) was invited to pick up on last year  :D

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »
Busy season by the sound of it pearly. We may have a few early October partridge days but its not definite yet.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »
Will start dogging in at weekends end-ish of August.  Shoot starts end of October and runs every Saturday.  We beat and/or pick up depending on what's needed on the day.  We have about 3 or 4 beaters days.  One invitation day between Christmas and New Year which is great fun and more walked up formula.  I've been invited on a couple of other local shoots and may start on these if they start earlier (I think one starts first weekend in October).  Will just be taking Pip who is now quite experienced and knows his job.  My puppy will only be a year and will need very careful introduction to shoot days.  Maybe next year...
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 04:41:41 PM »
As we now live in mid wales we have no shoots to go on as yet. We keep putting the feelers out and live in hope. When we lived in L Incs we  would now be starting to getting impatient  ( and clearing out the freezer ).
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
As we now live in mid wales we have no shoots to go on as yet. We keep putting the feelers out and live in hope. When we lived in L Incs we  would now be starting to getting impatient  ( and clearing out the freezer ).

There are plenty of shoots in the Marches - are you on FB to ask? I have connections in Herefordshire /Shrops border if thats close enough?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 07:03:18 PM »

There are plenty of shoots in the Marches - are you on FB to ask? I have connections in Herefordshire /Shrops border if thats close enough?

thanks Pearly. I am on Facebook (LjLenton). Although we do not mind traveling would not want to be too far as not to be reliable.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 09:36:13 PM »
Min, are you a member of 'jobs for best gets and pickers up'? If not - join. They have ads on there all over the uk.

Offline ips

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »
Min, are you a member of 'jobs for best gets and pickers up'? If not - join. They have ads on there all over the uk.

Think you mean "nobs" 😁

Guns on pegs also list beating availability. You could also log into "pigeonwatch" forum they have a gundog section so you could post on that.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 11:37:35 AM »
So bloody jealous when I read these posts, I miss these days so much everything around here is large estate and I know I could not do a full day.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline ips

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:30 AM »
That's a shame Jeff you must really miss it. Pity you couldn't find a small syndicate shoot there must be something surely

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »
It would seem syndicate in this area are as rare as rocking horse poo mate.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline ips

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 12:09:43 PM »
What you need is a holiday oop north, I can sort you an easy going day up here 👍

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »

Think you mean "nobs" 😁

Guns on pegs also list beating availability. You could also log into "pigeonwatch" forum they have a gundog section so you could post on that.
No, not 'nobs' (have heard they're not that good these days).  Jobs for beaters and pickers up fb page.  (def didn't mean 'best gets'??!  though - stupid predictive text thingy...

Offline ips

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 01:43:15 PM »
Ah, sorry not heard of them. Yes nobs seems to be quite inactive these days.
Preductive test is indeed wary annoyingly  😁