Author Topic: Skin Problems  (Read 1860 times)

Offline savoy13

Skin Problems
« on: July 30, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »
We have been having health problems with Blaze this year, shes 8 and has recently developed very red skin.  Vet has thoroughly checked and investigated and has now put on her a short course of steroids. 

We changed her food a few months ago to Simpsons light, as she has joint stiffness and it contains extra quantities of Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM, but are now wondering if it could be the food?  Unsure what to change it to though, am thinking about arden grange sensitive??   would really welcome some advice please

Offline PollySpaull

Re: Skin Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »
Would you consider raw feeding her? There are lots of benefits to raw feeding, and it can very often help with skin problems. My pup was very scurfy when he was younger, a week being fed raw and his coat was sleek and glossy, and it still is. It's also got lots of other benefits too. But obviously it's down to the individual.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »
It does seem a bit coincidental that the food change and the skin problems flared up at the same time. RAW would be good, but you could also go back to her original food and maybe see if that was the problem. You could possibly give Yumove supplements to help with joint issues.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »
My sister had to stop taking Glucosamine because it made her skin terribly itchy, - don't know if that's relevant? :shades:

Offline savoy13

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »
The research I am doing does suggest that glucosamine can cause skin irritation.   She was on Acana for a long time which she loved, but she gained a lot of weight while on it and our vet prescribed Hills to loose weight.  I wasn't too happy with the product so when we got her weight down we changed to Simpsons. 

Raw food isn't an option as I travel frequently and she always comes with me, so it has to be dried food.

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
I'd try Millies or Lily's then, and some coconut oil for the skin too.

Good luck!

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 06:44:31 PM »
I've had problems with Ollie scratching with allergies.    He's now on Millies with a teaspoon of coconut oil a day -  plus Dorwest mixed vegetable and garlic and fengruuk tablets daily, which seems to be helping.
Pam, Oliver and Bertie