Author Topic: ECS pup living together with an old and previously abused Doxi  (Read 673 times)

Offline Arrielle

Hello everyone,

In a few month we are going to bring home our first English Cocker Spaniel pup. He will be 10 weeks old.

We already have an old doxie mix. She is a rescue dog of about 8-10 years of age - according to our vet, and she has been living with us for about one year. She is a calm dog: she never chewed on anything, she never released herself in the house, and she sleeps most of the day.

The problem is that she is not quite responsive when we try to play with her or train her. In my opinion (although I am no expert in training dogs) she actually experiences playing or training sessions in a negative way as she is pretty tensed when we ask her to do anything, yawns a lot, and licks her nose.  We have never touched her in an aggressive manner but my husband suspects that she was abused before, and now she experiences training as a form of aggression. Based on what I read about Dachshunds, they are by nature a rather stubborn breed who does not enjoy training much, anyway. So we try to make her life as pleasant as we can by minimizing any stressful situations.

My concern, now, is about the future pup. As I have never had an old dog and a pup at the same time, I do not know how this cohabitation is going to work out.  I am afraid that the pup will learn from the Doxi her response to training  (which is not quite optimal). I am also afraid that he may feel her tension when we ask her to do anything and consequently perceive us as a threat as well, rather than his "pack".

Do you have any experience with such as situation? Any suggestions on how to minimize the influence of our Doxi on the Spaniel?

Thanks so much.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: ECS pup living together with an old and previously abused Doxi
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 08:45:53 PM »
I think it's always wise to train dogs separately until you have one or both steady then train together

The biggest challenge you are likely to have is stopping the pup jumping all over your doxie- back issues are a serious consideration and one to be careful with

Hope all goes well

Jayne

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »
I think you are right in saying she finds training stressful, yawning and lip licking are signs of stress and well done that you are giving her space.
A cocker puppy can be very boisterous and lively so I would suggest baby gates to keep them separate yet still be able to see each other, plus a crate for the pup to sleep in.
As mentioned,  training and walking should be done separately, making sure that both dogs have their 'own time' with you. That way hopefully the pup won't pick up any vibes.
The doxi sounds like she has settled well so you won't want to upset her routine. Good luck
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 11:26:34 PM »
They both will have their own crates. AS for keeping them separate in different rooms, that would be difficult. We have the doggy place in the kitchen and hallway. And they are gated. Hopefully they will not "kill each other".
I also want to use a crate for when we are not at home. I'm teaching at an university so I am here most of the time but just for those times we both have to be away....

The doxie is fine in a crate. I just pray for the Spaniel to get used to a crate without traumatic experiences.

Thanks for your feedback.

Initially I was walking on the clouds at the thought that I'll have a pup but now I am a little worried about my doxie and about when I'll have to be at school.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »
A trick I have used several times (and mentioned on here before so apologies to those who think I am repeating again) is to take the older dog with you to collect and bring home the new one. No science behind it save that I have done it before and it always seems to work.

Good luck!

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 02:04:40 PM »
take the older dog with you to collect and bring home the new one.

Yes, we already plan to do that. Thanks :)