Author Topic: Burrs! Advice please  (Read 4156 times)

Offline rachmonkey

Burrs! Advice please
« on: August 06, 2017, 09:11:51 PM »
Does anyone have advice about the horrid burrs that get suck in their coats.

Our pup Cooper who.is 6 months gets them stuck in his coat... I realise he  may need a trim but any tips on how to get them out would be great. He has been getting more and more agitated with us taking them out and tonight he actually bit me when I tried to remove some. Not too bad, didn't break skin but was more than an air snap and frightened me! He's a feisty monkey and we are doing our best to use heaps of positive attention and high reward treats/exchange. The reservation if he time his temperament gas been gentle and loving so it's not something we want to see happen again.  Do people use muzzles for some grooming? Otherwise have any advice? Also, he is having the snip next week so hoping this may calm him  a bit...  :-\

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Burrs! Advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 09:37:05 PM »
A detangling spray or gel can really help. I use Groomers detangling spray, sprayed on a comb or dematting comb (because Henry doesn't like it sprayed directly on him) or Cowboy Magic which is a silicone based gel. Both really help ease out burrs. You can find both on Amazon.

I also keep Henry's mouth busy by having a stack of good sized treats that take a while to crunch through. He does tend to mouth at me if I'm fiddling with matts and burrs otherwise. It's the only time he does it, so it may be a common thing they don't like. As long as he's munching a favourite cookie, he lets me get on with it.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 09:40:30 PM »
Really worried that you are having him castrated at such a young age, why?  You don't yet know what his real temperament will be and if he's fear reactive it is likely to exacerbate his anxieties  :-\

Burrs are best removed with a Coatking or Mikki Matt splitter/Matt buster - that and equinne silky mane and tail we find the sticky buds just glide out.

Please don't muzzle him - again, his only means of telling you he's uncomfortable is the way he has - how would you like your hair pulled and restrained whilst it's done? He's six months old and has a massive amount of maturing to do yet, his growth plates are not yet closed (c14 months), his hearing isn't fully developed (c10 months) and his ability to control his own impulse (think toddler and fingers in sockets) won't happen until he's between 23 months and three years old!  If he's finding the grooming experience too much then I would suggest short bursts of 5 minutes only - he may still have burrs but he'll be a whole lot happier.

Sorry,  but whoever has told you Cockers calm down with castration or spaying was fibbing........This forum has a wealth of advice on previous posts and we are all here to help.  My first cocker had me mentally and physically exhausted when she was 9 months old - we now have four cockers and I think I have a pretty good understanding of the breed.

IMO the only winner in castrating a dog so young is the Vet who is guaranteed a wage - unless there is a valid medical reason that he should be?

Welcome to the forum - sorry if my reply is a bit terse but your post seems to only be focussed on you, not the welfare of your pup  ph34r

Jayne

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 09:54:15 PM »
These activet brushes are pretty expensive but they're really good and excellent for removing burrs and seeds and all the other rubbish. I bought mine here in Germany and have just copied this link so that you can see what they are but maybe you could find a cheaper supplier online or look for a UK equivalent. Its the best bit of grooming equipment I've got, (brilliant on matted ears!), well worth the investment in my opinion!!

http://www.redcape.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_64&product_id=380

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 12:23:07 AM »
At six months I guess you have a fluff monster!  The coat will comb out soon, so I wouldn't worry about teasing them out. I would use scissors!    you can get round ended ones cheaply.
  Like Pearly ,  I think six months is too early for the snip.  Most vets have changed their opinions  to leaving it till growth is finished.  It is thought that the huge increase in cruciate problems is due to doing it too early. Consequent increased leg length affects the growth plates and ligaments that keep the leg in proportion  or something like that!    Also a dog that is human aggressive shouldn't be castrated too early, because this is not a hormonal problem.  My Bob was great with other dogs, so not a doggyhormonal issue.  I was advised that neutering him could make his fear aggression with people worse.   Also,  there aren't so many entire bitches around to upset the boys.
 I appreciate you have a calm,happy boy,   And he just hates burrs being out.   Dont make a big thing out of it, just have a cuddle on the carpet with a crafty pair of scissors in your hands. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »
Another tip I have, - if you don't do it already, put him on a table with a non slip mat (i have an old rubber car mat), then make the whole experience as positive as possible, give im a few treats, stroke and sooth him and do a bit of billing and coo'ing and try to get him as calm as possible before you start. Take time and look on it as his "wellness" treat.  Humphrey's stands with tail wagging, trying to get up ontonthe table now as soon as I get the mat out, - he's two now admittedly and it wasn't always like that, but more often than not he goes to sleep now while I'm brushing him. Try not to let it become a battle but an opportunity to have a bit of "us time" that promises him enjoyment. Best of luck'

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 07:47:15 AM »
As an aside, it's still common advice from vets to castrate a 6 months. As a first time dog owner, I followed my vet's advice on the assumption that was the best thing for my dog. I might do things differently now, but I always had my dog's best interests at heart, as I'm sure we all do.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 08:34:54 AM »
As an aside, it's still common advice from vets to castrate a 6 months. As a first time dog owner, I followed my vet's advice on the assumption that was the best thing for my dog. I might do things differently now, but I always had my dog's best interests at heart, as I'm sure we all do.

I think this is part of the issue  :-\ we all want the best for our dogs and follow the advice of our vets who train for a minimum of four years at University, so they must be right? I've always tried to follow my Vets advice but at the point they were trying to tell me my wcs was allergic to grass and suggesting a raft of very expensive allergen tests, I started to question motive! 

There have been a lot of very well written articles on neutering before sexual maturity or after - one of the the real negatives of neutering too early with a cocker spaniel is the effect it has on the coat, parking all the behaviour/growth issues identified.  There are, of course, benefits to early neutering and there are a number of threads on here that support both sides of th argument that are worth a search and read/consideration.  Ultimately the decision should be what's right for the dog, part of owning a dog is the inconvenience of seasons or unwanted male doggy behaviour until he reaches maturity.  In many respects it's one of the best ways to get to know your dog fully and start to understand their needs and body language.

One of my concerns, particularly for bitches is that we don't really know their hormonal cycle until they've had at least one season - I have a friend with a cockerpoo that was spayed at six months, she went on to have a phantom pregnancy that Her family found as equally distressing as she did - obviously less of a concern with males but did bring it home to me that early neutering isn't always the right answer.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 08:51:36 AM »

I agree, I think for 1st time dog/puppy owners it is a jungle. You go to the vet have the jabs and worming and the vet advises you that you should have your pup castrated/spayed at 6 months, if you have no conflicting knowledge at this time you tend to go with the vets advice, you believe you are doing the best for your pup.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rachmonkey

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »
Great advice and thankyou. I appreciate all the comments. Pearly, your experience is invaluable to new owners like me so keep it coming! Like a few people have said I was booking him in following vets advice but think I may cancel after reading into this a bit more. I have to say, as a Dr myself (for humanoids not animals!) The advice we give is rarely for profit! Vets typically get a salary so it makes no difference how many castrations they do..in fact if it was motivated by money more puppies would be more beneficial.  I would imagine it's simply that medical opinions change...and limiting the no of unwanted dogs are the primary aim. Neither of which seems illogical.

Phoenix. Thanks for recognising he's a happy boy! It's always a worry when you get a nip that they are turning savage! Which I'm glad to see nobody seems to think. We have children so that's an extra a anxiety in these early puppy years... not sure I will puppy again!!
 :lol2: >:(

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »
As above, make grooming something g they enjoy and you've won the battle. Have a little play on the table, and some treats if there,s a knotty problem. As advised, it's handy to have some sets going spray, I got mine at Pets at Home. Especially useful if those long ears have been in Something gooey! Takes all the stress out of de-knotting.

Enjoy your pup  :D :D

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »
There is also the miracle of squeezy cheese.....the sort in a metal tube a little like toothpaste  ;)

Squeeze some on to the floor or surface you have your boy (name?) on and then groom while he's busy cleaning up! Possibly the best tip I've ever had on here.....

Offline rachmonkey

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
Thanks for the tips. The little fella had a yummy kong and a toy while I was fiddling about...think it was a case of bad timing too...I like the cream cheese on the floor idea though. And good old fashioned scissors   

My concern is that he bit. Not  quite a puncture wound but close  Always a reminder to be so careful when handlng them with things like this. Other times he will roll around and let u play with his ear, heck his teeth etc all day long!!
 I guess the bite with kids around is my main concern. Has snyone else had a nip.like this when theyre young...im guesssing im not alone?

We will practice some grooming at other times when he's relaxed and reward immensely!

Cookerdile puppy Indeed!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 12:16:36 PM »

I guess the bite with kids around is my main concern. Has snyone else had a nip.like this when theyre young...im guesssing im not alone?

We will practice some grooming at other times when he's relaxed and reward immensely!

Cookerdile puppy Indeed!
Hi, yes, I've had my puppies snap at me when introducing grooming.  Particularly my youngest pup (now 10 months).  He's not the most confident dog, and his first reaction when he felt the brush against his skin was to try and bite me. Not out of malice, merely to try and stop the thing he was a bit scared of and didn't particularly like.  Most of them dislike grooming at first and protest in some fashion.  But I just carry on with the brushing - daily at first and they soon learn that it's quite an enjoyable experience.  I will restrain them if they try to jump off the table, and tell them 'no' of they persist in trying to bite me.  But it's all done in a calm fashion, and they soon learn that throwing any kind of tantrum doesn't work.  I'll stop once they're more relaxed so they learn that that behavior is what's required.  They get a few treats throughout the experience to reinforce good behavior.  I am quite particular about teaching my dogs to accept grooming as I started off with show cockers who I knew would need regular grooming and knew they'd need to learn to trust me to make the experience a fun one rather than an ongoing struggle.  I have one show type now, and 2 workers who all love grooming and argue over who gets on the table first.  Making grooming a regular fun experience also helps with any inspections either by me or a vet should there be lumps or wounds or anything.  When removing burrs, I just prise the hair apart carefully and pull them out.  One of my dogs come to me to have them taken out as he knows i'll help him.  Just make grooming in general a routine exercise and he'll soon learn to enjoy the experience.  It's better than 'tricking' him and having to ambush him with a pair of scissors!
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline juju

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »
I agree with the previous post. Izzy was a terror being brushed or detangled. I often gently tease out the odd burr and those pesky round seeds she seems to pick up, when she's sat on my lap having a cuddle.