Author Topic: Poppy has "opened up"  (Read 966 times)

Offline Maggiesfriend

Poppy has "opened up"
« on: August 07, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
I know it is a long time since I updated you on Poppy's progress, but it has been rather long-winded' Through the wonderful people in this forum, I learned the phrase "shut down" dog.  When she came to us from Many Tears, she was indeed shut down.    However it is now 18 months or so since she arrived.  She had undergone eye surgery to remove one eye and had a complex op on her remaining eye to save her sight.  When I explained her problems on line, many lovely people with experience of these breeding bitches, were able to advise me and warn  of the possible problems to come.
Well, we have survived and she is fantastic!    My one wish for her was to go for a walk in the country side and be happy. We go out every day and although she is still on a lead, in the field it is the extra long retractable one I used for training the bloodhounds.   She comes to me when I call her before she gets to the end of it, so I am hoping that I can trust her to let her off soon. She took to house training (slowly) and is now 100% trustworthy. She watches Maggie and copies, sadly all the things she shouldn't.   Her only problem is shut doors, and people in doorways.  She will not walk past, even me, if I stand in the doorway letting her in. I have to step away. Someone has done this in her past and pushed her around with a broom (she is terrified of those).
Mainly I just wanted to say that these poor shut down dogs, will come out into the sunshine and enjoy their life, it just takes patience and a lovely "other" dog to guide them.
There is nothing so joyful as a happy dog

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Poppy has "opened up"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
 :luv: Well done you for changing a little dog's life so much for the better.  And well done Poppy  :luv:
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
Oh what a lovely update!! Its wonderful to hear that's she's now able to enjoy the life she so deserves, thinking about what she must have experienced doesn't bear thinking about, poor soul!
So glad that's the sun's come out for her, long may it shine!! :luv:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »
What a wonderful update, thank you! Just an observation - I always have to step aside to let Henry past if he's coming head on. Otherwise he just stops dead.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 01:46:45 PM »
Lovely update, thanks for sharing your joy.  :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:17:14 PM »
Such a lovely update, i am so pleased for both of you  :luv: :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline lescef

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »
Just lovely!  Must feel very rewarding. :D
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »
What a lovely update. Bless you for taking the time to show this little one how to be loved.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »
Lovely update, how heartwarming to know she has come I to the sunshine. Well done you! And Poppy!  :banana:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ips

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 08:03:33 PM »
Yes well done you, she deserves a good home and you obviously provide the best she could hope for, she is a lucky girl to have you...
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 10:32:27 PM »
I've spent hours training mine not to go past me in a doorway!  Humans first.......not that they take a blind bit of notice but if Poppy had never been allowed to go through a door then it must be scary for her

What a lovely, heart warming update - well done Poppy after all she's been through it really does sound as though she's opening up and that's all credit to you

Jayne
X

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 01:56:04 PM »
Well done you. It really is wonderful to see these frightened dogs come into their own. Your post reminded me that it is just over a year since we picked Annie up from Many Tears. Like Poppy she has transformed from the half starved, frightened little waif who came. It was just great to watch her 'working' with her Uncle Buster a few night back, vole and bunny hunting in the long grass. No voles or other small creatures were harmed, but two very happy spaniels came home.

Offline revis

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »
Just read your post about Poppy. Well done to both of you. So much patience is needed with these dear girls. Jessie who I have had for 3 years is just the same with doors and brooms. She still will not come out for a walk. Just shakes with fear and won't walk. She is fond of Maggie my other one but Maggie is now deaf nearly blind and just likes to stay in herbed.
Keep it up Poppy