Author Topic: Any major DOs and DON'Ts for a first-time puppy owner?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Arrielle

Any major DOs and DON'Ts for a first-time puppy owner?
« on: August 09, 2017, 02:41:14 AM »
Hello everyone,
In 2 month I am going to bring home our first pup. He is an English Cocker Spaniel, from a breeder and he will be 10-11 weeks old when he will get home.

We are a family of 2 humans (me and my husband, in our 40s) and 1 old dog (8-10 years of age). We live in a house and we have a fenced back yard. The old dog is a Doxie mix. She is towards the stubborn side but she is a calm, non destructive dog. She just does not enjoy training too much. She was rescued last year.

If you are aware of any major rules that I should not break, or pieces of advice, or by all means DON'Ts or DOs - I would really appreciate if you shared them with me.

Thank you in advance very much.

Offline sodpot2000

Re: Any major DOs and DON'Ts for a first-time puppy owner?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:26:40 PM »
I think the most important thing is to enjoy your dog and to make sure they are involved in doing things with you. That way they will feel part of the pack. Give the little fella plenty of rest and stimulation. (not at the same time ;))

If you have any books about being top dog and dominance - burn them. Stick to rewards based training methods. The others don't work for people or dogs.

Take the next few weeks to enjoy having matching pairs of socks

Make sure that your older dog doesn't feel pushed out or get bullied by the pup.

Just some very random thoughts over lunch.

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:56:19 PM »
Thank you.
 yes I do have books about about being the leader of my pack, others about not being the leader. :)

I was looking more for something along the "dong take your dog out until he is 4 month old" line..
Or anything that it's a must.

Thanks

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:59:05 PM »
On that it would be to take them out as soon as you are able and to introduce them to as many different things as possible. People, cars, other dogs, all that sort of thing

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 04:35:07 PM »
Yes, take him out asap, you can carry him so he doesn't put paw to floor when out. We're very rural so never see anyone here, so we took him into town, Introduced him To people, took him on the beach, all in our arms, so he got used to sights and sounds right from the word go.

Decide where you want him to go and not go In Your house, and be consistent, e.g. In the bedrooms or not.

We walked ours five minutes  a walk per month of life, e.g. Fifteen minutes at three months, twenty at four months and so,on, so they don't get over excercised too soon which can harm their joints.

Enjoy your pup and hide your socks.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »
Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of cocker spaniels  :clapping:

All good advice given so far but I'd just like to point out that there are fences and then there are cocker proof fences….. Try to think of young cocker spaniels as the world's best escapologists  ;)

They're naturally curious so you can use this to advantage by encouraging them to become involved in normal family life. You'll soon think that they can read your mind but they're just fitting in with your normal daily activities.

Best of luck with your new family member and don't forget to post plenty of photos so we can all go "Awwwww"  :005:

Bob

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »

We walked ours five minutes  a walk per month of life, e.g. Fifteen minutes at three months, twenty at four months and so,on, so they don't get over excercised too soon which can harm their joints.

Lesley and Dylan

THANK YOU GREAT PIECE of advice. This is what I am looking for. tips from different people