Author Topic: Interesting 'pack' behaviour  (Read 717 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Interesting 'pack' behaviour
« on: August 11, 2017, 04:11:59 PM »
We regularly meet up with a friendly bunch of dogs in the park. Henry 'knows' these dogs well. Recently, all the owners have been commenting on Henry having established a role as 'leader' (I don't want to say alpha). He rounds everyone up for chasing games, and leads the charge. He also keeps order - if any of the other dogs is being obnoxious to one of the others, he bustles into the middle and breaks it up, and initiates play with the 'victim'. There's nothing aggressive about his interventions, more like a parent dealing with toddlers and using distraction to defuse arguments. Most of the other dogs have become quite 'respectful' of Henry over the last few months.

At the moment it's a rather nice thing to see, but I'm wondering if there is potential for this to become problematic. He never does it with dogs he doesn't know, there's no unpleasant dominance displayed by him and I don't see any signs of guarding in his protection of other dogs.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Interesting 'pack' behaviour
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 04:39:21 PM »
 I recently read a book by Turid Rugaas on Calming Signals, she's worked as a behaviour therapist and has used her own dog to do exactly what Henry is doing, i.e. act as a sort of "mitigator" in a conflict situation. It would seem that some dogs do just naturally take over this sort of role, my last trainer had a Australian Shepherd who acted the same way when there was a scuffle between a couple of young male dogs. I don't imagine its anything to worry about, I think its a sign of a well balanced and confident dog. Funnily enough, Humphrey 's always the one doing the chasing rather than being the one up front, he always seems to running behind yapping and begging the rest of the gang not to go without him!! Henry's obviously the "cool guy" whose gang everyone aspires to be in!!  :005: Its just always so lovely, and interesting, to watch a group of dogs all getting on and having a whale of a time without a care in the world... :luv:  Good on y' Henry lad!!

Offline hoover

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:42:16 PM »
There was a golden retriever that took on this sort of role at the local dog park at the time we used to visit and she was very welcome!  Much easier for her to sort things out at an early stage of a scuffle than for humans to try to break up a more major fight.  I can't imagine any reason to be concerned that it would develop into anything else, it certainly didn't for the golden retriever.

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 06:05:47 PM »
I don't think it's anything to worry about, in fact it's a wonderful 'trait' to have developed.  He could well be a good stooge dog for reactive dogs (under trainer guidance obviously) well done Henry. ;)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
Thanks, everyone, that's very reassuring! I've got a little paranoid as all too often I see a behaviour I think is endearing, only to find it morph quickly into a problem without my realising!

It is funny to see him bustling around, as if to say 'C'mon lads, settle down, that'll do...'

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »
Thanks, everyone, that's very reassuring! I've got a little paranoid as all too often I see a behaviour I think is endearing, only to find it morph quickly into a problem without my realising!

It is funny to see him bustling around, as if to say 'C'mon lads, settle down, that'll do...'

:luv:

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »
Unless of course Henry is really a criminal mastermind, recruiting and training his team to carry out daring and audacious raids on the local butchers' shops?  :005:

Think, perhaps, Michael Caine in the Italian Job? 'You're only supposed to bite the bloody doors off!'

Just a thought.  :005: :005: :005:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 01:20:29 PM »
Unless of course Henry is really a criminal mastermind, recruiting and training his team to carry out daring and audacious raids on the local butchers' shops?  :005:

Think, perhaps, Michael Caine in the Italian Job? 'You're only supposed to bite the bloody doors off!'

Just a thought.  :005: :005: :005:

:005: :005: what a wonderful thought...... 😂😂

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
Criminal, maybe. Mastermind? No chance!