Author Topic: Adolescence or aggression?  (Read 4828 times)

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Adolescence or aggression?
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2017, 08:57:10 AM »
My lot are allowed free rein in the house and can join me on the sofa if/ when they choose.  However, if they start arguing over who gets to sit where, then they are told 'off' as I won't tolerate them squabbling.  They know 'off' and learn that from when they're young.  I don't allow them to disobey an 'off' command.  They usually all curl up happily on the sofa after dinner and are quiet.  No hassling for attention or anything.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »
Thanks again all, I've been keeping the cuddling on my terms,
Quite often in the morning at present he likes to train and climb pup on my lap while I sit at the dining table which I'm not allowing, however when he's coming for a cuddle on the sofa it's usually after I've given him an 'up' command, I have noticed that sometimes of he wakes up on my lap he then gets a little mouthy so o am preempting this by just moving him to one side and busying myself for a short while when he wakes so he dosnt feel the need to mouth me.
Certainly progress is being made and I thank you all for being so helpful, my partners been off work for 2 days and he's not at his wits end so something must be working!!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 01:57:31 PM »
Itty bitty bits of progress to share all,I'm currently sat at my desk working, daddy's currently sat in his gaming chair playing PlayStation (men!!) And Leos chosen to find a chew and lay by my feet,
He chewed my office chair once (this is the usual attention seeking while I'm working) which I redirected to his bone and he's been settled ever since!

Just to clarify, 3 weeks ago, if daddy got his gaming chair out Leo would jump up on the sofa and nibble daddy's ear then chew the sofa then chew my arm. So I would say this is progress.... My one concern now is that the much needed housework is not getting done due to daddy being able to relax! But you can't win it all I guess !  :lol:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2017, 02:08:58 PM »
Itty bitty bits of progress to share all,I'm currently sat at my desk working, daddy's currently sat in his gaming chair playing PlayStation (men!!) And Leos chosen to find a chew and lay by my feet,
He chewed my office chair once (this is the usual attention seeking while I'm working) which I redirected to his bone and he's been settled ever since!

Just to clarify, 3 weeks ago, if daddy got his gaming chair out Leo would jump up on the sofa and nibble daddy's ear then chew the sofa then chew my arm. So I would say this is progress.... My one concern now is that the much needed housework is not getting done due to daddy being able to relax! But you can't win it all I guess !  :lol:

Housework? What's that?  :005:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2017, 02:15:47 PM »
I knew what housework was before getting Leo, now its called clearing up the storm  :lol:

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »
Cockers love housework!

Load the dishwasher - cocker climbs in and gives everything a cocker pre-wash

Empty laundry bin - cocker will 'help' you move the socks to 'appropriate' places.

In all seriousness though, very pleased that things seem to be settling down

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2017, 09:17:13 PM »
Haha thanks so much sodpot2000, yes the housework is a never ending game for Leo too, especially the dishwasher and the laundry!. He has learnt to leave the room when the floor is sweeped which is great because Leo used to act as 'second brush' due to him latching onto the handle and laying on the tiles whilst I attempted to sweep!!!
But yes. Things are looking up, with seemingly small adjustments he is already a different dog, he's now sleeping at least 3 hours longer during the day, we've not yet mastered him choosing to take himself off for a nap however when we are putting him behind the gate he's not making a sound.
... He's currently curled up on the sofa with daddy after half hours tug of war WITHOUT a single bite  :lol2:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2017, 10:43:32 AM »

To all those who have given great advice so far... here I am!

Offline hoover

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
That's great you've found such a difference - the sleeping is a biggie - they will try to stay up to be part of all the action when they can and you really do have to insist. We saw this just yesterday when Ollie didn't sleep during the day much - turned into a little toe-rag in the evening guarding every little thing he happened to stumble upon, something he would never usually do now unless extremely tired.

Offline ips

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2017, 12:55:12 PM »
My one is a right pain if over tired.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2017, 01:02:11 PM »
Yes I'm really noticing that more sleep is makingnthe world of difference too.. I can even almost preempt when I know it's time to put him behind the gate for a nap now, he will randomly walk over to the sofa and chew it or nip my hand out of the blue. I walk into the kitchen to ignore the behaviour and he jumps straight in his bed. When he is rested he is either busy occupying himself or chewing a bone. Its as if he's telling me to put him to bed in a weird kind of way.... Next step will be him taking himself off to bed rather than me doing it for him but I'm sure that will take a while to come!

He's also begun getting so excited about going to bed in the evening. He is now usually sleeping till half 9 and will start stirring and we will mention the word 'bed' and he will sprint to the kitchen!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »
On another adolescent note...
Leo's been odd today, edgy on his morning walk, he had his tail tucked between his legs and seemed scared of everything, hasn't been as happy to 'chill' today , has appeared adverse to touch, and this evening so far he appears to be anxious. He's had a 40 minute walk with some scentwork and training thrown in, he had a play when he got home, had his dinner, toileted and so we put him behind the gate for a nap... And he's cried for ages!! But when daddy has gone in to sort dinner out, Leo has lunged at him...... Now a month ago this was normal behaviour... But the past 2 weeks has been beautiful and this is a bit of a shock!!
Weirdly of all every time I've looked at him today, his eyes look different... Sounds weird I know but he looks glassy eyed
Any ideas on what I might not have done to meet his needs? Or is this a bit of adolescent weirdness?!

Offline hoover

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2017, 10:29:01 PM »
It sounds like he has not slept - if you put him behind the gate and he was whining and agitated he maybe didn't settle and reverted to the behaviour he  more commonly expresses when he is tired and has not slept.

Hard to make out what might have happened before that, but I think dogs can get spooked at times, and then experience a bit of a hangover from this.  If we walk Ollie in narrow trails where there is not much room for manoeuvre due to deep wooded areas either side he will be very twitchy and nervous and walk with his tail low. In these situations he will bark at any person or dog 50m in front as he is anticipating a confrontational situation.  We don't usually notice a hangover from this but it wouldn't surprise me if a dog spent a long time in a nervous state that this took a toll on them through the rest of the day.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2017, 01:27:10 PM »
Thanks hoover, yes I'm not sure if something had spooked him, he wasn't as happy to sleep yesterday and maybe over tiredness was the issue... He seems completely fine today, he's just come first in his first active scent search competition! And is now napping for Britain haha so hopefully all back to normal..

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2017, 07:15:50 PM »
Me again!!!

So here's my question.. we've just been to my mum's for the whole weekend with Leo, ok, he wasn't an angel, he cried all of Friday night, and tried to steal my brother's breakfast.. however we had no attention seeking, I think he nipped twice the whole weekend, and most of all when he was tired, he simply laid down on the floor and fell asleep...

WHY WONT HE DO THAT AT HOME?!?!?
 He simply will not just lay down in the lounge and have a nap when he's tired at home, he decides to chew the sofa, run around like a loon etc.. but none of this at my mum's. What is it about my house that makes him think he can't just chill?

I'm so confused!! (I don't want to complain, obviously I'm super happy that he is so well behaved and I feel confident taking him places but... Seriously?! )