Author Topic: I know there are small cockers but is Daisy shockingly small?  (Read 3242 times)

Offline bluey

I know there are small cockers but is Daisy shockingly small?
« on: August 31, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
So, I have been looking at Daisy thinking she seems very small for a cocker but as I haven't really seen 9/10/11 week old cockers in real life I haven't really had anything to compare her with. Just weighed her and she weighs 7lb 6oz or 3.4kg ans she is 12 weeks on Sat.

Bit of background info, Daisy's mum was rescued from a puppy farm council seizure along with many others and was heavily pregnant. She was born in the rescue and given the best treatment. Her mum is a good size and her brothers and sisters are definitely full cocker, (they seized the stud dogs too). She has had kennel cough but only mildly and wasn't really poorly in herself. She has a huge appetite and has grown a lot since she has been here. Looking at the charts the average size would be 12ils or 5.5kg. Am I right to be worrying that she is so teeny?

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: I know there are small cockers but is Daisy shockingly small?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 01:21:04 PM »
Some full grown cockers come in at under 10kg, so there's probably nothing to worry about. You might have yourself a Pocket Cocker.  :luv:
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »
Cockers can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes from pocket rockets to something closer to a prop forward! Rather than concentrating on weight, look at her overall shape. If her frame is nicely covered and she is eating well then unlikely to be anything to be concerned about. She may put on a late spurt of growth, or may always be small either way, as long as she is fit and healthy...

If in any doubt, get the vet to have a look.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 02:51:06 PM »
It is impossible to tell at this stage really - the size of her parents would be a guide. She may have a sudden spurt, or she might just be a pocket rocket  :005:

Cockers can vary enormously in size when fully grown - I have known adult cockers that weighed 8kg and 18kg - I think the average weight is about 12kg.

She may be a small cocker, but if she is healthy otherwise, then there is no reason to worry.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
I wouldn't bother about it whatever size she turns out she will still be a handful 😁
A loveable handful but a handful nevertheless 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 03:27:47 PM »
I wouldn't bother about it whatever size she turns out she will still be a handful 😁
A loveable handful but a handful nevertheless 👍

This is true - whatever her size, I am sure she will still run rings round you  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 04:58:17 PM »
Both my girls were quite small, 11.5/11kgs and 10/9.5kgs. Libby was small but the cocker spaniel personality more than made up for it 😀. She was quite 'square' in shape and Miss P was a bit longer. Good sizes for us but Daisy sounds perfectly ok to me.

Anita

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 04:59:18 PM »
Don't worry as long as she is happy and healthy, Cockers come in all sizes,

Bea was 2.6 kg at around 9 weeks, a month later she was 3.6 kg and she then shot up to 6.3kg two months later.

She is now a very happy 10.9 kg but still manages to take up most of the Sofa :005:

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 07:00:05 PM »

This is Loxley, he weighed in  at 10kg precisely on Tuesday and he's only just turned 6mths.
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 07:04:52 PM »
It is impossible to tell at this stage really - the size of her parents would be a guide. She may have a sudden spurt, or she might just be a pocket rocket  :005:

Cockers can vary enormously in size when fully grown - I have known adult cockers that weighed 8kg and 18kg - I think the average weight is about 12kg.

She may be a small cocker, but if she is healthy otherwise, then there is no reason to worry.  ;)

You've not meet my Ollie then lol

He's 9yrs old and weighs a staggering 23kg!

He's always been a big lad even when he was a pup! Think the lightest he's ever been was 19kg. But recently we've had a pup and of course when you have a pup you try and do training = treats but you can't give one and leave the other out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »

You've not meet my Ollie then lol

He's 9yrs old and weighs a staggering 23kg!

He's always been a big lad even when he was a pup! Think the lightest he's ever been was 19kg. But recently we've had a pup and of course when you have a pup you try and do training = treats but you can't give one and leave the other out!

Blimey, he's a whopper  :o  That is definitely the biggest I have heard of  :shades:

A candidate for Doggy Weightwatchers perhaps?  ph34r :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 07:10:30 PM »

Blimey, he's a whopper  :o  That is definitely the biggest I have heard of  :shades:

A candidate for Doggy Weightwatchers perhaps?  ph34r :lol2:

We tried that when he was younger and he was that hungry he actually started stealing our food and went for us a few times.

I'm sure he'll reduce his weight once the pups trained and treats go to a minimum

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »
We have a 3 year old cocker that varies between 9Kg and 10Kg depending on the time of year.  Most people think she's still a puppy!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 08:25:03 PM »
Our wcs Gemma 's " fighting" weight is just under 9kg. She is 6 years old and only  11 inches  high at the shoulder. 
They are like a bag of allsorts. Put your hand in and its a mystery what you will pull out  :shades:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 08:46:38 PM »
You have a little dinky cocker!  :luv: Bit like people, some are a tad on the bigger side and some are teeny.  Bet the cuddles are just as good  ;)