Author Topic: Does anyone feed Hills wet or Dry WD please  (Read 2004 times)

Offline hblower

• Site Member
Does anyone feed Hills wet or Dry WD please
« on: September 05, 2017, 08:35:37 AM »
orin has started to not eat all his breakfast the last few days, his evening meal he just about eats but not breakfast he will eat about half and this is with some fish or chicken mixed in with it to make it more tempting.  As he is diabetic he needs to eat all his meals otherwise he is at risk of having a hypo attack as his insulin kicks in but it has nothing to work on if his stomach is empty.   Nothing else has changed and he is running round, playing and drinking normally.

The vet has suggested hills WD prescription as he said he has just put his dogs on it and it is very palatable, low carbohydrate and lots of protein which is what orin needs.  I have several issues with it however firstly it is really expensive since he will be on it indefinitely and the insurance company wont cover prescription food.  Also when I have looked at the list of ingredients it has Maize meal listed first which would suggest this is largest ingredient and this sounds like a filler more than a good source of carbohydrate.  it also has meat meal listed why not put proper meat in it.   Also I don't think he will eat it either wet or dry or mixed.

does anyone else feed it, how do you get on with it, does it work and where do you get it from to make it a but cheaper.

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
Re: Does anyone feed Hills wet or Dry WD please
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:40:40 PM »
My last Cocker was on Hills I/d after she suffered from pancreatitis - and because I didn't know any better!  The vet told me it was all she could eat after she nearly died from an acute attack - thankfully, she did actually enjoy the food, but I found out some time later that she could eat other foods and that all I really needed to do was provide her with a very low fat diet - so in her final year she had a variety of foods!

Personally, I would not feed Hills ever again - as you have noted, the ingredient list leaves much to be desired!  The expense of the product and the fact that they use animal meal and/or animal derivatives is completely inexcusable!  Especially when you take into account dogs with allergies that need to avoid certain proteins - with Hills products it is impossible to know what source of protein you are feeding.  As Grace has been diagnosed with a heart condition I am aware that my vet may well recommend the Hills prescription diet for heart disease - but I've seen the ingredients which are awful - and I know that the main requirement will be a very low salt diet.  When the time comes I will research that more and provide Grace with the appropriate diet without resorting to using Hills.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:27:54 PM »
Strange it is so expensive when the ingredients are so cheap!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline hblower

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 07:50:07 PM »
Thanks Guys the vets have new prescription diet in and it isn't Hills he wants me to use as he says like I did it is full of fillers etc.  The new one they are offering is Virbac W which is for overweight dogs or w2 is for diabetic dogs.  it is only available from vets but they say it is REALLY palatable, and if your dog wont eat it then you get your money back which seems fair enough.  Also if you buy 5 bags then you get a sixth one free.  if you buy the 12kg bags then it works out 87p per day for Orin or 1.33 per day for 3kg bag. 

it looks a good ingredients list on the bag 34% protein, no mention of fillers and nice sounding ingredients.

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 07:51:15 PM »
Strange it is so expensive when the ingredients are so cheap!

I think they get away with it because it's sold as a 'prescription food' and many owners go by what their vet recommends - as I did several years ago before I knew better!