Author Topic: High value treat/reward for pups  (Read 857 times)

Offline Natalielouise56

High value treat/reward for pups
« on: September 05, 2017, 08:29:01 PM »
Hi all again,

Any suggestions as to a high value treat/reward to use specifically for recall training that would be suitable for Joey - currently 9.5 weeks. I'm happy to make something or buy in?!
Thanks!  :D

Offline lescef

Re: High value treat/reward for pups
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:45:04 PM »
Pieces of chicken or beef - left overs from a Sunday roast can be frozen then used. Sausages work well too
Our trainer also said every few days give a 'jackpot' reward for a particular good recall.  I have used a piece of salmon, a small ball, of mince or chicken wing in the past, but use something special, not given at any other time.  ;) It keeps them guessing!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:54:09 AM »
I make liver cake (another wonderful COL tip) !
Beef liver, very finely minced or better still liquidized, add a raw egg and enough flour to bind it together. Spread over a baking tray or shallow tin and pop into the oven. I cut it into small pieces and freeze and take out what I need. Humphrey loves it. It is a bit smelly while its cooking but its quick to make.

Offline Micahs Mum

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
Already had some good suggestions tho I made liver cake once......never again! [emoji44] The smell was vile, we had to leave the house! [emoji37][emoji23] Micah is 11 weeks old and I've been using Innocent Hound venison sausage pieces for recall. You can get them online but (very surprisingly!) Pets at Home sell them £1 cheaper. I also have just got Arden Grange Liver Pate in a tube but not yet used it. For many years I have used Primula Cheese for toilet training, as well as giving the verbal cue for what you want the tube is a visual cue & it works really well. The same could be the same for recall while they're close enough to see it. Finally tuna bread is very quick & simple. 1 tin tuna in Oil, drained, 90g flour, 1 egg mixed together.  Spread onto a microwavable plate & cook full power for 4 mins. I chop up with scissors whilst warm. Whatever you choose to use make sure you only use that treat for recall.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sam, ECS Micah & Golden Retrievers Logan and Alby

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »
For recall specifically: yourself and a toy!  :D
Meat and liver and such are awesome and healthy high value rewards. But since a recall is competing with all the fun things and exciting things out there in the world and also we want the dog to come quickly on recall I prefer playing and toys for rewarding a recall. Keeping the intensity high and yourself more interesting than the rest of the world. Tug toys are brilliant for recall training because the dog gets to be a little nuts and interact with us at the same time. Running around and playing with the dog is also brilliant recall rewards. Treats are also good, but imo better for when you want the dog to stay calm, like for sit, stay etc. A mix of the two reward types is also a good idea. But generally I use myself for rewarding recalls because I want my dog to run towards me and be excited about being called :D

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 12:13:11 PM »
For recall specifically: yourself and a toy!  :D
Meat and liver and such are awesome and healthy high value rewards. But since a recall is competing with all the fun things and exciting things out there in the world and also we want the dog to come quickly on recall I prefer playing and toys for rewarding a recall. Keeping the intensity high and yourself more interesting than the rest of the world. Tug toys are brilliant for recall training because the dog gets to be a little nuts and interact with us at the same time. Running around and playing with the dog is also brilliant recall rewards. Treats are also good, but imo better for when you want the dog to stay calm, like for sit, stay etc. A mix of the two reward types is also a good idea. But generally I use myself for rewarding recalls because I want my dog to run towards me and be excited about being called :D

Good point!