Author Topic: Arm pits  (Read 627 times)

Offline Lucy+Delilah

Arm pits
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »
Hi, I noticed the hair under my 10 month old cocker spaniels arm pits was beginning to matt (she's been groomed twice professionally already). I bought some clippers so decides to clip away the matted hair, only to discover they're both actually sore and scabby [emoji46]. Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do about it? Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Arm pits
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »
Hi! The armpits do seem to be one of the places which matt up quite quickly, particularly if the dogs wear  a harness. Could the harness be rubbing and causing soreness? If the matts are large, they might be rubbing and causing skin irritation, you could try cutting or clipping the hair in the arm pit to prevent it tangling up.
If the area looks infected though, - wet, red or smelly or if your dog is visibly uncomfortable, then I'd get the vet to have a look, it could be an allergy or  some sort of parasites. Good luck!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:55:41 PM »
Gemma came to us with matted pits. At first I thought she had lumps. After feeling and deciding that there was a tiny gap between skin and lump I decided to go in with the scissors. waited for Gemma to go to sleep on my lap (on her back with tummy tickles sends her off) I snipped away. little by little, took me a week but we got there. never have had them return
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 10:21:03 PM »
It could be that the matts were stopping the air getting to the armpits, so it might improve now. You could  try dilute hibiscrub to help clean up the area. Once it's cleared you could dust with Thornit powder to keep the area dry. My previous cockers had similar problems so I keep the hair really short on my present dogs.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble