Author Topic: Still undecided about spaying  (Read 2036 times)

Offline ips

Re: Still undecided about spaying
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »
It certainly is a very difficult subject and as you say we all make a decision based on our dog (or rather bitch) and our beliefs based on research etc
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline chien

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 05:44:27 PM »
Each dog is different, and our decisions are based on our experiences and beliefs. I have a vet who respects my wishes and approves of letting them have 1 or 2 seasons. Personally a silky coat is not a reason to not spay, after all mine spend most of their time wet, muddy full of all sorts of twigs, burrs etc. The only time they're not is just after I've brushed them  :005:

Hi Holly thanks for the input certainly the same for me too as she is usually either covered in mud or sand or just plain wet!! :) It's good your vet respects your wishes. It's generally something i'm considering. I was told my bitches last two sessons were phamton but i realy don't believe that was the case as she never exhibited what you describe. Only indicator was the milk production in the first heat and the slight depression... but no hording of toys or any such thing and she would never let another dog near her for any attempted mating.

Offline chien

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »
I've done quite a bit of research on this over the weekend and I've decided unless I have one litter with mine shortly I would most likely have her spayed soon.
The strongest reason for this would mostly be for mitigation against the risks of contracting pyomentra.
Out of all the pros and cons pyomentra in my opinion is one of the most concerning things about having an unspayed female that never goes on to have a litter.

Good article on it for those unaware;
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/pyometra-in-dogs