Author Topic: How old before you have a puppies nails cut  (Read 854 times)

Offline Southeastsal

How old before you have a puppies nails cut
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »
How old should your puppy be before you have the claws cut. ? Alfie is 15 weeks and his claws are like needles. We have been road walking but they are still lethal. My OH has quite thin skin so is covered in plasters !!! Any advice appreciated.

Offline lescef

Re: How old before you have a puppies nails cut
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:44:04 PM »
I do think some dogs seem to have sharper claws than others, one of mine certainly does!
You really need to start cutting them now, just to get him used to having it done. The dew claw especially can get sharp and also curl up as it doesn't get worn away when walking.
 I try to cut my two every two weeks (when I remember along with cleaning their teeth! )
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:31:18 AM »
This is one task I really hate as Jett is a right pain and will not sit still.
How do people manage to cut the claws without hurting them? is there a special technique?
I'm always worried about cutting too much.

Any advice would be greatly received

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
would love some advice on this also!
Leo is 10 months, I cut his nails for the first time yesterday..interesting to say the least.. I used a guillotine cutter so had to line up his nail in the hole of the cutter...I had to sit behind him, with some light weight on him to hold him still, whilst reaching round to hold his very tickly paws still long enough to cut a nail.. all while daddy sat infront of him constantly feeding him treats the whole time..
Any ideas on how to make this easier would be great as ill need to do it on my own when daddy goes away next time and don't want to resort to taking him to the vets. 

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »
would love some advice on this also!
Leo is 10 months, I cut his nails for the first time yesterday..interesting to say the least.. I used a guillotine cutter so had to line up his nail in the hole of the cutter...I had to sit behind him, with some light weight on him to hold him still, whilst reaching round to hold his very tickly paws still long enough to cut a nail.. all while daddy sat infront of him constantly feeding him treats the whole time..
Any ideas on how to make this easier would be great as ill need to do it on my own when daddy goes away next time and don't want to resort to taking him to the vets.

That is exactly how we do it. Its not easy at all, there has to be an easier way.

Offline hoover

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 12:47:28 PM »
Never had to cut Ollie's claws, thank goodness as I can just imagine how he would react to that.  He does a lot of running on paths which seems to take care of that naturally - if you jog or cycle and they can run with you that's a good way of wearing them down (although with a young pup you have to watch the amount they do)

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 01:30:37 PM »
Never had to cut Ollie's claws, thank goodness as I can just imagine how he would react to that.  He does a lot of running on paths which seems to take care of that naturally - if you jog or cycle and they can run with you that's a good way of wearing them down (although with a young pup you have to watch the amount they do)

Thanks for the info. We had an appointment at the vet today for a check up so I asked them if he needs them clipping. They said the same as you that they are fine and don't need cutting. It must be because we do lots of walks on paths and they must naturally filed down.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 01:51:17 PM »
Apart from dew claws the others should get worn down with exercise.

Very few dogs like having claws cut and it can be hard to hit something that is jerking around.

Buster was born with the outer toe on each of his front feet short/missing so that claw never touches the ground and has to be clipped. Not at all keen! we have found that less people rather than more to hold him is more effective and to just do little and often. That way if it doesn't work one time then it doesn't really matter.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
Depends on the dog and what sort of exercise it has  ;)

Coco is 12 now and, apart from her dew claws, I have never needed to cut her claws. She does walk a fair bit on rough ground, so they just wear down on their own.   :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »
Leo does about 50/50 path walking and soft ground walking on his usual walk. Funnily enough his rear paws are worn down and don't appear long at all whereas his front paws were really long before I clipped them yesterday.... We call him rear wheel drive  :lol2: