Author Topic: Recall and out walking  (Read 980 times)

Offline Natalielouise56

Recall and out walking
« on: October 26, 2017, 06:01:05 PM »
Hello all again-
I just wanted to ask about recall when out walking. Joey is getting better every day at lose lead walking-I'm trying to limit the treats now and just focus on stopping if he pulls. What I've been doing is focussing on loose lead walking whilst walking around the streets etc and then making our way to an open field or park to practise his recall whilst on a 10M lead. He returns upon recall (with a high treat being the reward) really well however there are often no other distractions like other dogs, people or rubbish etc. So the problem arises when we walk back via the  streets and on the short lead again and he comes across another dog, person, child or even a leaf blowing in the wind! He will literally anchor up and not budge one bit if he wants to see, meet, sniff or watch the distraction. At this point, would you wonderful people advise using the recall then (even though he's right next to me) or another method? Even a high value treat right under his nose will not budge him! In my mind, the recall command should be saved for when he's not near me so how do I get him to budge/carry on walking when he's so fixated on something else? Hope this makes sense?! Thanks!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Recall and out walking
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
Hi, -sounds like you‘re doing well so far!
We‘re still battling with distraction, although Humphrey‘s two and half now but I find if I can get in first, get him to look at me before the other distraction becomes too exciting, I stand more chance. Have you trained a „look at me“ command? Once you‘ve got his attention you can  try and jolly him along, try a tug rope or a ball on a string and then reward with a bit of play when he comes with you. I followed the advice  given on the sticker on here  on a reliable recall and avoid using a recall command unless I‘m 99.9% sure it‘ll be successful, it only takes a couple of ignored recalls to set you right back which would be a shame, so I think I‘d tend not to use it in the situation you‘ve described.
Best of luck!  :D

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 08:04:21 PM »
I wouldn’t use your recall word when he is so focussed on something else and is likely to have his ears turned off. You should only use your recall word when you are 100% sure he was respond. Otherwise you can ‘poison’ your recall word, as he may decide it means ‘come to me sometimes’ rather than every time.

The ‘look at me’ option is a good one. Best used before he gets distracted. So keep your eyes peeled and when you see a potential distraction coming up, get his attention and keep his eyes focused on you with lots of yummy treats until you get past the danger zone!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Natalielouise56

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:45:54 PM »
Thanks for the great advice! I will be trying these new methods tomorrow on our walk and I may need to try out some more high value treats! So now to teach 'look at me'  :lol: ...

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 08:41:30 PM »
Ah distraction and the want for attention from others is an issue for us too. Leo will often just bolt himself to the ground if he decides he wants to say hello to someone. Be it dog or human.
Can't give a lot of advice but I do try to ignore this behaviour as much as possible and then just give him lots of love and praise when he begins to walk again off of his own accord.
I like to think if I am saying 'come one, let's go' etc etc then I am only reinforcing the behaviour. So ignorance is the best I can do.. however I do try to distract him in anticipation for him bolting to the ground.. Leo is ball mad so I tend to just present his ball if I see something that will bolt him and sometimes that keeps him walking.

Great advice from bizzylizzy with the ' look at me' command. I'm managing to get a bit of success with this when bikes pass us (Leo's like to chase them)
If a rabbit presents itself though it has to be a really firm NO!! As I often don't get time for the look at me command.... I must sound like a right Looney on our walks