Author Topic: Nose/Sinus Issues  (Read 639 times)

Offline anna*sian

Nose/Sinus Issues
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:33:40 AM »
Hello,

I am currently at a loss about where to go next with our 10 year old Ben  :dunno:

Ben started reverse sneezing quiet a lot over the summer but was fine otherwise. About 3 weeks ago after a night of snoring loudly (unusual for Ben) and sounding like his nostril was blocked Ben woke up and had a few sneezing episodes which resulted in him sneezing some blood out, including a little clot. Over the next few days he was up and down with congestion, sneezing and blowing through his nose as if something was stuck inside but no bleeding or discharge and good otherwise. After a visit to the vet, they said the only way to see what was wrong was scope and x-ray but gave us and anti-inflammatory to see if it helped, which it did but not completely. The vet did mention she suspected maybe a tumor which we were already worrying about hugely  :'(

Ben has since been for his scope and x-ray which thankfully were clear. He was scoped through front nose and through mouth up and although the scope only goes so far the vet was happy with the x-ray images, everything looked normal and equal on both sides, sinuses etc looked good and she showed my husband the x-rays. She said if she had any concerns she'd be suggesting a CT scan but felt this was not needed. There was no bacteria or fungal infections present either.

It's been over a week now and Ben has the same symptoms again on and off and I noticed a small dot of blood on the floor this morning where he had been sneezing violently but nothing on his nose.

Vet has suggested trying him on medication for rhinitis or a steroid - not sure what type of steroid but not overly keen on this unless it's a spray form.

Will take him back for an appointment this week but would really appreciate any advice or similar experiences with your furry friends  :D

Forgot to mention - Ben has been a very allergic dog most of his life, he has fur loss and licks and scratches most of the year. This time of year is when he has a major skin flare up and ear issues. He's got a confirmed allergy to dust mites and storage mites.

We are considering getting an air purifier to see if this helps at all as funnily enough (or maybe not so funny  :embarassed:) my husband has similar symptoms to Ben!!!

Thank you in advance 

Offline PennyB

Re: Nose/Sinus Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:31:51 AM »
You probably have sorted this by now.

One of my dogs kept sneezing violently and like yours nothing in her nose other than my vet could see some irritation but couldn't work it out - he did wash it all out under sedation, which may have helped in her case (she still has the odd period where she keeps having bouts of violent sneezing but we still haven't worked it out and in her case its not something that needs investigating further yet)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!