Author Topic: Does anyone have experience with white noise for calming a dog?  (Read 19 times)

Offline tritonx

My 18 month pup is in recuperation from surgery and confined to his crate. It's a difficult thing to do to a young dog, but necessary. I had a carpenter coming to my house to look at a broken gate and just before I went out, I asked Siri to play white noise on the home pod. Usually when I go outside without him, he barks for a while and gets agitated. I watched Jamie from my phone connected to the puppy cam in my kitchen and he was peacefully lying with his head on his paws. Does anyone have experience with white noise for dogs? I hope it's something I can use that is effective and safe to calm the little guy and not just a one off effect.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Hi! Sorry to hear poor little Jamie‘s confined to crate, I know from experience what a nightmare that is!
I don’t have any experience with white noise although after reading somewhere that classical music helps calm dogs, I did used to have it in the background while I was getting Humphrey used to the grooming table and it did seem to help.
Most positive dog training is based on association, so I could well imagine you could continue to use the white music as a calming signal, by playing  it when  he‘s naturally relaxed and happy? It certainly can’t do any harm to try.
It‘d be interesting to know how you get on with it, it may help others dealing with separation anxiety.
Lots of  :bigarmhug: for the little patient, hope he‘s out and about before too long. Do keep us updated!
 :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Fascinating! Wonder if that would help,dogs with separation anxiety?
Best wishes to Jamie.
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo