Author Topic: How to stop your Cocker digging holes in the lawn....  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Brooksuk

• Site Member
How to stop your Cocker digging holes in the lawn....
« on: June 15, 2006, 12:34:06 PM »
I may be jumping the gun here but I think I have finally found a way of stoping Fred digging holes in the lawn.

Fred has always been very keen on digging up stones under the lawn and in doing so creating a massive crater. Every time I told him off he simply ran around the garden and then returned to digging the same hole - he thought it was just a big game!!  >:D

Over the last 2 months, I have employed a new technique to stop him - As soon as he starts to dig, I run over to him, grab him by the collar and drag him into the kitchen, tell him off for being naughty and shout "time out".

I have had to give him about 3 "time outs" for digging and miraculously he appears to have stopped digging anywhere on the lawn!!

Offline Poppy W

• Site Member
Re: How to stop your Cocker digging holes in the lawn....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:37:10 PM »
I think I'll have to try that one with Percy! Our lawn looks like the surface of the moon!

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 01:56:14 PM »
glad it seems to be working for you - but a word of caution 'grabbing him by the collar' is not a good thing really  :-\ 

1 - you may make him collar shy. 2 - he may get well peed off with you doing it and tell you so (the only way he knows how - with his teeth  ;) )

Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Brooksuk

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 03:06:39 PM »
I agree with not using too much collar grabbing! Luckily, this harsh punishment appears to have turned him around very quickly as I've only had to do it 2 or 3 times.

I resorted to doing this as he simply didn't take any notice of what I was saying and carried on digging  >:D Overall, he is a very good dog and only has a few bad habits which I am working on sorting out gradually  :luv:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 04:15:54 PM »
Please from someone who is studying Canine behaviour and training to degree level  do not try this method as it has the potential to go horribly wrong.
The behaviour may have stopped for now but It will very probably happen again and then you would have to punish your dog all over or escalate the punishment to more intense levels to get results.
What would this do to your relationship with your dog? >:(
It is right to distract the dog whilst in the act but why not give him his own area where he can be directed to dig. You could make him some sort of sand pit and bury treats and toys to make it interesting.
Digging is a perfectly normal canine behaviour and your dog is not being naughty he is doing what comes naturally to him.
Dogs dig for various reasons and it might be worth taking time to understand his motivation for this behaviour.

Yelling Timeout will have no meaning for your dog and your dog will just see you as angry and learn that it's ok to dig when your'e not around but dangerous to do so if your'e there
I hope Fred stops for his sake >:(
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 05:46:50 PM »
agree with mark  ;)

give him an area where he can dig....by giving him permission you are taking back control too - you can direct him to his digging place, and tell him to go and dig, and hopefully this will encourage him not to dig elsewhere.  If he tries I would direct him back to 'his' hole and praise him for digging in the right place.

(i give jarvis permission to chase birds....maybe it makes no difference but it's sure helping me psychologically :005:)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 09:21:01 PM »
Please from someone who is studying Canine behaviour and training to degree level  do not try this method as it has the potential to go horribly wrong.

I'm so glad to see your post, Mark - I admit to have been very uncomfortable when I read the OP :(

I try to only apply positive training methods with Molo - which do not involve grabbing him by the collar (which I would only do in an emergency), or shouting at him, no matter what he does - but especially not in response to behaviour that is perfectly normal and so deeply programmed that it is as natural to some dogs as breathing  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 09:55:49 PM »
i have dogs - they dig my garden - its what dogs do - when they happen to fall down those holes nobody's fault but their own  :shades:

As for grabbing the collar and dragging the poor dog inside - shame on you - what are you teaching him by that using that method  ????

Positive reinforcement and distraction techniques work best!

Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 10:23:00 PM »
Oops!  I've bringing Ben in by his collar too  ph34r He digs holes frantically and although my garden won't be in the best garden catagory, I also object to craters!  I've tried distraction and in the end will take him by the collar and lead him indoors.  I don't think he suffers?  I just do what is instinctive?

I don't run and grab but I do take him inside by the collar - is this wrong?  He has lots of digging on walks and at the back of the garden but my lawn is out of bounds  >:(

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 10:49:58 PM »
Oops!  I've bringing Ben in by his collar too....... but I do take him inside by the collar - is this wrong? 

well its not good  ;)  occassionally as a last resort I have grabbed a collar but that is to save mortal injury - like Dill nearly ran into the road after a squirrel the other day so I grabbed, but as a general rule its a real no-no.  Its like someone grabbing you by the back of the shirt or the hair - guaranteed to p*** you off eventually  ;)

distraction is much better - 'oh ben look at this lovely biscuit i have' sort of thing  :lol:  and if he's a typical cocker his belly will win every time  :lol: :lol:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 06:51:00 AM »
Oops!  I've bringing Ben in by his collar too  ph34r He digs holes frantically and although my garden won't be in the best garden catagory, I also object to craters!  I've tried distraction and in the end will take him by the collar and lead him indoors.  I don't think he suffers?  I just do what is instinctive?

I don't run and grab but I do take him inside by the collar - is this wrong?  He has lots of digging on walks and at the back of the garden but my lawn is out of bounds  >:(

If you really object to craters and are unable to distract him; have you considered using a house line?

This would allow you to gently encourage him towards you and the distraction, without instigating a confrontation - dogs are very "tactile" animals, and you are entering his space and touching him - which is quite "rude" in dog language, so its understandable that he will object eventually :005:

On the whole though there are certain things that come with the territory of dog ownership - hairs, barking, and holes in the garden are just a few of them :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Brooksuk

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 09:11:31 AM »
Thanks for the advice - bringing up a puppy is a steep learning curve. I don't mind Fred digging in the flower beds, perhaps I will try giving him a specifc area to dig in and bury some toys / treats etc to encourage him.

I did try the distracting him when he started digging the lawn but he is so headstrong that it makes no difference - he simply ignores you!! Like Debbie, I wasn't aware that this would be bad, it just truned out to be quite effective (I would never be mean to my little Fred!).

What methods would you suggest best for distraction? My problem with Fred is that when he starts frantically digging this is the most fun in the world for him and distraction just doesn't work!!

If I am doing wrong, I would much appreciate some good advice from the more experienced out there!

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 11:24:39 AM »
Give him somewhere exiting to dig and supervise him whilst outside at all times for a start ;)
Use a house line so you can have control over him whilst outside.
Find a training class or a trainer and teach your dog a bomb proof leave it cue using positive methods which will enhance your relationship with your dog.
You have to convince the dog that by leaving what he is doing he will be rewarded with a really high value reinforcer.
If Digging is what the dog wants then the special area with buried treats and toys can be utilised as the reward.
Dogs want different things at different times and it is important when training your dog that you understand what will motivate the dog at any one given time.
If the dog is hungry you may be able to distract with food or if it wants to play with a toy.
You need to know what pushes your dog's buttons and even if it is digging you need to be able to make it work for you by getting the dog to dig in a desireable location then everyone will be happy inluding Fred.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk