Author Topic: When to worm and de-flea?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Blinky

• Site Member
When to worm and de-flea?
« on: November 13, 2006, 08:01:25 PM »
I'm sure I've asked this before and I really should write it down once and for all, but I can't remember how often to worm and de-flea Bluebell.  She's now 6 months and I wormed her and de-flead her in the middle of September, when should I do it again?

Anyone know?  Any answers I get I will write down!

Thanks!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: When to worm and de-flea?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 08:05:43 PM »
According to current guidelines, dogs should be wormed monthly for roundworms & quarterly for tapeworms.  The flea treatment will depend on what you used - if it was Frontline then that lasts for 2 months but if it was any other spot-on, they have monthly cover
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 08:07:53 PM »
My vet reccomends worming Coco every 3 months - very important as she tends to eat poo and other nasties. I use Milbemax and have had no problems with it.  I think this is the norm.  

I do not actually de-flea any of my animals unless I see evidence of fleas - don't like those nasty chemical flea treatments.  Instead I add a little garlic to Coco's food which is meant to repel fleas and ticks - this year I haven't seen any on any of my cats or on Coco though she did get bitten by harvest mites so I just dabbed some Frontline on the area with cotton wool which soon got rid of the pesky little blighters.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 09:15:06 PM »
I do not actually de-flea any of my animals unless I see evidence of fleas

Snap! I do the same and I have had flea drops sitting in the cupboard for absolutley ages I haven't even seen any fleas on our cats this year either. Mind you i'm sure it has something to do with the fact that we don't have many carpets in our house (laminate/wood floors) so no nice breeding ground for the little blighters!
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline lor

• Site Member
  • "Who me?.......With my reputation"
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 10:06:10 PM »
Horror of horrors - I found a flea on Amber last night and tried to extract it from her fur but the pesky little so and so escaped!!  ::)
Is 16 weeks to young to use frontline - I use it on our cat as she gets skin problems if she is bitten by fleas so I know she is clear of them - as it's been so mild recently I can only think that it has come from outside in the grass.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 10:12:37 PM »
Veterinary advice on how often to worm seems to vary; once Molo was 6 months old, my vet advised every 6 months with Panacur was sufficient  :-\

However, after reading several posts on here, I increased this to every three months - especially as I have a young daughter, walk Molo in the country, and feed him raw  ph34r

I used to use Advantage de-flea spot-on every month; but now I am supplementing his diet with garlic, I only use a spot on in the summer, about once every 6 weeks or so  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 07:36:27 AM »
Is 16 weeks to young to use frontline -

Frontlin spot-on can be used from 8 weeks of age.

You are lucky just finding a flea - at work we all gave our dogs some panacur favourites as a 'treat' as they were going out of date, and Aspen then proceeded to pass roundworms for 2 days ph34r

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 08:03:50 AM »
Veterinary advice on how often to worm seems to vary; once Molo was 6 months old, my vet advised every 6 months with Panacur was sufficient  :-\

However, after reading several posts on here, I increased this to every three months - especially as I have a young daughter, walk Molo in the country, and feed him raw  ph34r

Yes, I agree with this.  You could probably get away with every 6 months but Coco is likely to eat poo and other yucky stuff and is fed raw so 3 months is more suitable for her.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 11:43:55 AM »
Is 16 weeks to young to use frontline -

Frontlin spot-on can be used from 8 weeks of age.

You are lucky just finding a flea - at work we all gave our dogs some panacur favourites as a 'treat' as they were going out of date, and Aspen then proceeded to pass roundworms for 2 days ph34r

I remember Indi passing long ones, I was nearly sick :005:
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline OscarsMum

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 02:41:47 PM »
My vet recommends monthly worming, especially if you have young children around.

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 02:49:06 PM »
We got Glen from a farm (not a puppy farm a cow and chicken etc farm) and he was meant to have been wormed but on day two when cleaning up after him I couldn't help but see them in his poo.  :o  :oI was shocked at how big they were and had him at the vets within the hour. Touch wood he has been fine ever since but the sight of them haunted me for days.

Theresa
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Blinky

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 03:30:04 PM »
Thanks all - think I should have been worming Bluebell every month, and it looks as though I've missed a month, so I'll do it tomorrow as we have young children. 

Thanks!

Offline lor

• Site Member
  • "Who me?.......With my reputation"
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 05:50:25 PM »
Is "scooting" along on their bum a sign of worms?  Don't know if I'm getting paranoid about fleas and worms now but Amber had her latest worm tablet last week but for the past couple of days she has been scooting and although it looks comical I am worrying that it may be symptoms of worms :-\

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 07:42:52 PM »
It can be a sign of worms but it is more commonly a sign of impacted anal glands

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 07:54:04 PM »
Coco sometimes does it when she is a bit squitty!  ;)
Julie and Watson