Author Topic: BLACK & TAN STUD DOG IN SOUTH DEVON?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline k977

• Site Member
BLACK & TAN STUD DOG IN SOUTH DEVON?
« on: January 13, 2007, 09:53:21 PM »
We are looking for a black and tan pedigree  stud dog in south Devon, can any one help? preferably from good show lines.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: BLACK & TAN STUD DOG IN SOUTH DEVON?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 10:04:58 PM »
If you want a good black & tan dog, you're probably going to have to travel outside your area but then that's what most reputable breeders have to do when looking for a suitable stud dog as it's rare for the right dog to be on your doorstep ;) We don't generally allow members to post stud dog recommendations on the forum so your best bet would be to contact your local breed club secretary who may be able to give you some contact numbers. You'll find the contact details for Devon & Cornwall Cocker Club HERE

PS If your aim is to produce black & tan puppies, both parents have to carry the gene so even using a stud dog of this colour won't guarantee puppies of this colour unless you have a bitch who also carries the gene. Sorry if you already know this :blink:
Jane

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:08:53 PM »
preferably from good show lines.

Why only 'preferably'??  Thought that would be very important?
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline k977

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 10:28:43 PM »
Am a member already, just thought I would broaden my options to reach cocker breeders on here!  I worded my message wrong I should of put MUST be from good show lines.
And if traveling to the right stud dog arises then yes, I would travel.
She carries the Tan and black gene. She is from show lines- her brother is competing at Crufts this year So I am not breeding on a whim and I am a responsible owner ;), have owned dogs for 20 yrs.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:21:59 AM »
That's good to hear but being such a new member, we have no idea of your level of experience. I was guessing that because you are asking about black & tan dogs & appeared to be confining your search to Devon that perhaps you were new to breeding, hence my reply to you ;) If your bitch's brother is competing at Crufts, can the breeder not help in your quest or did you breed him yourself? As this is a minority colour, you will find there are not huge numbers of dogs to choose from and of course there are other factors to consider besides colour - it would be a bad idea to select a dog for colour if he didn't complement your bitch in other ways (pedigree, health results, not having the same faults as your bitch etc)
Jane

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 02:15:33 PM »
glad you posted that jane. i thought the colour thing was a bit risky ;) after all someone like me could offer the services of their dog(i wouldn't but in theory) and that would be a total disaster(imagine loads of little paddy's) :huh: its good to see k977 is no novice and is looking for temperament(sp) before colour :D unlike paddy's breeder who was just trying to produce black and tans so fools like me would buy them.