Author Topic: how does your pooch travel?  (Read 6577 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: how does your pooch travel?
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2007, 05:21:50 PM »
I saw a video of what happened to a unsecured dog in a collision (in a "crash test" mock up) and I have never been able to get the images out of my mind :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 05:30:24 PM »
I saw a video of what happened to a unsecured dog in a collision (in a "crash test" mock up) and I have never been able to get the images out of my mind 

yeah - I saw the same one probably  :-\.  I think that I'm correct in saying that the average family sized dog has the force equivalent to a baby elephant in a 30mph collision.  Def have ours in the boot in a crate for his safety on impact and for passengers in the car as our children sit - like most -  on the back seat after all  :-\.  I suppose it'll just mean that on hoilidays I won't have to take so much rubbish with us or use the roofbox more......or buy that caravan <arrrgggghhh!>
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus

Offline princess

• Site Member
  • elliott is my baby
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2007, 03:08:26 PM »
My cocker spaniel travels in a crate and he likes it  :D
paula & elliott

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2007, 03:12:04 PM »
Currently in the boot of our 7-seater (well 5-seater since the two last seats are taken out to make room for the dogs). The plan is to put in a custom made cage in the back so it is even safer for them all.

I hate seeing lose dogs in cars.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline princess

• Site Member
  • elliott is my baby
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2007, 03:13:18 PM »
i dont like seeing loose dogs in cars neither
paula & elliott

Offline lemoniee

• Site Member
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2007, 05:51:18 PM »
hi,
holly (my blue roan) has a harness on and as soon as the car gets moving shes fast asleep curled up in a ball on the back seat! she gets sooo excited when u mention the word "pap pap!" (car!) she barks, runs the lenght of the house, whines, runs a bit more, jumps up you and when you open the house door she runs around to the car and bounces around next to the car door!! haahaa! any other dogs get this excited?

melanie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2007, 05:57:25 PM »
she barks, runs the lenght of the house, whines, runs a bit more, jumps up you and when you open the house door she runs around to the car and bounces around next to the car door!! haahaa! any other dogs get this excited?

No! I don't allow him too  ;)  The lead goes on and the door is opened when he sits quietly, and not before  ph34r

I probably am a mean mummy, but I introduced this at an early age so that if someone else ever has to take him out for me at any time (I occasionanlly use dog walkers, and there also consider the possibility of accident/illness), then I'm not asking them to run the gauntlet with a hyper dog  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 08:13:42 PM »
Maudie has to sit patiently and wait too! I always do things like walk through doors first, get her to move out of the way etc! Maudie now has a harness in the back, this way she is not sick. She just lies down on her seat and goes to slepp. Much better than the sound of her gagging in the boot!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2007, 09:33:36 AM »
mine get excited when they get their leads on, as long as they sit and let me go out of the door they are fine

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2007, 09:38:22 AM »
If only Kali would sit patiently for anything >:(
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2007, 09:40:51 AM »
Well, I am now VERY pleased to say they have their crate back in the boot now, we have just bought a giant 42" crate for the girls in the house and Archie too when we go out just for an hour or so.

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline sadienralfie

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2007, 04:31:49 PM »
my cockeer travels in a create and he loves it i cant stand to see dogs loose in cars what if there was a crash.  ;)

Offline charlie_jim_gem

• Site Member
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2007, 08:39:55 PM »
charlie will sit next to me in my truck hes a bit mental to start with but soon as the engine starts he acts like an old man and sits quietly enjoying the view. :D

Offline moll

• Site Member
  • Chester Copperpot Conker Woods
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2007, 09:02:24 PM »
We had a collapsable carrier with mesh windows for the car, about £25 from an ebay shop. I was happy with that until Chester chewed through the zips and now it is useless ::) Then we got a seatbelt for him but he wriggles so much, he managed to get into one of the holes, even though I has adjusted the straps to fit (same firmness as collar, enough to get two fingers under).
So... for the last two weeks he has been on my lap, which is in the front seat as we have borrowed a van for a short while.  :-\ When the car is back on the road I want to kit it out with a crate that we can put on the back seat. I was in quite a bad crash a couple of years ago in which the boot of our car was crushed, so I'm nervous about putting the crate in the boot. Thought a crate could go backseat/in house/use for hols etc, not only car.

www.myspace.com/thechesterwoods
[img width= height=]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/66/killingtinyoh8.jpg[/img]