Author Topic: Close heelwork  (Read 3001 times)

Offline silke

• Site Member
Close heelwork
« on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:34 AM »
I wondered how other people managed to get their cocker to work close to their leg for heelwork? My first cocker was very attentive, but always a bit off my leg. With my Border Collie it's been easier - I use the clicker and get her to target my hand. With my cocker puppy now I use the clicker and have started using a target stick. How do other people do it?

Silke & Charlie

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Re: Close heelwork
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:07:50 AM »
This would be nice to know, I shall be reading with interest.  :005:

We've been going to a training class for about 4 weeks, (some there have been going for 3 years  :o) where she does a fair bit of heelwork, Max has actually improved but still likes to sniff & search out any dropped treats  >:( (although he's not the only one).

Everybody simply holds treats in their hand & their dogs' nose is glued to their hand, (the taller the dog the easier I find  :005:).

I've not seen ANYBODY do it yet without treats, I was also wondering surely there must come a time when the lure of treats has to go  :-\
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:10:28 AM »
IMHO there is no reason why a cocker can not work on the leg.  Of course they are not as flexible as a collie, and so physically can not achieve the heelwork postition that some collies do, but in my very limited experience they are more that capable of achieving a close and stylish heelwork action.  Small dogs also experience more leg movement and are affected more by ankle movements when walking on uneven ground than a bigger dog, which is a major drawback if you wish to compete in obedience.

I think it depends a bit on the dog.  I would use the same technique on a cocker as I would a collie  ph34r.  I would use a treat in my left hand and lure the dog into position.  Started with small steps at a slow pace so as not to put the dog off by excessive leg movement.  Gradually you will find you are able to stand more upright (teaching a cocker heelwork gives you back ache!), move your hand to where it was more comfortable, take bigger strides, and eventually lose the treat.

If your dog prefers a more hands on approach, you could try the treat in your right hand (but in a similar position to where your left hand would be) and your left hand on the dogs shoulder to keep them in close.

In answer to Max x 2...It took me over a year before Storm would give me the sort of heelwork in the ring (without treats) that she did in training (with treats).

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 01:13:18 PM »
I use gaffer tape stuck on my jeans and get the dog to target this with his nose.
Gradually reduce the size of the target over time until the dog just targets your leg.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 01:34:48 PM »
I use gaffer tape stuck on my jeans and get the dog to target this with his nose.
Gradually reduce the size of the target over time until the dog just targets your leg.

Not thought of a target but something I may have to try, I am practising heelwork with Molly atm and she will hold her head up and close for a short time then lose interest and I then have to lean slightly to the left to reach her nose to get her interested in a treat and use the watch command to lure her back in, works sometimes depending on her mood, it really hurts my back after doing this though.....

I had thought of using velcro ph34r :005:
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 03:18:40 PM »
What a good idea about the tape!  :D I hadn't thought of that one - Charlie is learning to target a target stick, but I might give the tape a try, thanks for that. :blink:

Offline JaneES

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 04:22:56 PM »
I use food (hotdogs) Frankie loves them, in my left hand he and sticks to me like glue!

Good luck!
Jane (owned by Charlie, Frankie,Jaymae & Callum)

Offline pam100red

• Site Member
  • Tess
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 11:18:09 PM »
Hi
[
it really hurts my back after doing this though.....
I'm doing all this 'watch' command at the moment(and Yes it kills your back :'() I find at home in the lounge Tess is fantastic, really keen :angel:, but once out on grass she's not as interested. I think one of the problems is that she's not food orientated. I think the key is to find something they are slightly obsessed with.(Toy etc).

Even  withholding her meal until after training club, and using cheese or hotdogs, the 'watch' isn't always there. :-\
Wait and recall very good and shes fetching things enthusiastically. Loves playing find etc.
Its just this close heelwork were having to work on at the moment.
This target practice sounds interesting! Are you treating everytime nose touches target?It must be difficult with the leg moving so much?
n answer to Max x 2...It took me over a year before Storm would give me the sort of heelwork in the ring (without treats) that she did in training (with treats).
This makes me feel much better  :blink:
Pam

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 04:00:17 PM »
I think the key is to find something they are slightly obsessed with.(Toy etc).

Yup, you have to have something they really want  ;) 

I am practising heelwork with Molly atm and she will hold her head up and close for a short time then lose interest...works sometimes depending on her mood,

I think getting the timing right and rewarding before they lose interest is really important.  Storm is a bit moody too...sometimes she wants to do heelwork, and sometimes she doesnt...but I think that is just her personality... ;)

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 04:22:41 PM »
I'm sorry but in my naivety I had a picture of your dog stuck to your leg with gaffer tape until I read on!!!! OMG there really is no hope for me and Maudie  :embarassed:
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 04:25:08 PM »
Me too I was just about to ring the rspca lol

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 04:27:25 PM »
I'm sorry but in my naivety I had a picture of your dog stuck to your leg with gaffer tape until I read on!!!! OMG there really is no hope for me and Maudie  :embarassed:

:005:  :005:  :005:

Maybe I should try that!!! Do you think if I paint the gaffa tape with Storm's markings anyone will notice  ;)

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 09:26:34 PM »
Try it and see!! :lol: