Author Topic: Bit of help from you - please!  (Read 1507 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Bit of help from you - please!
« on: March 11, 2007, 10:01:32 PM »
I've just had my fourth agility lesson and Ben is doing fairly well (luckily we have a young welsh springer who is lovely but is even more out of control than Ben)  :lol:

This Saturday the trainer wanted to see the contact point  - Ben is a bit of a star at this as he is very cat like and pounces on the mat with both front feet and nose  :luv:  BUT the contact is nano second and he is looking for the click and treat.  I now have to get him to hold the touch with no looking away until I give him the OK  :-\ 

Does anyone have any tips?  The trainer suggested not clicking straight away and not holding treats in my hand - I can get my head round this but Ben doesn't  ::)   Any help appreciated as always  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Bit of help from you - please!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 10:21:49 PM »
You could try practicing all your basic commands (not agility work) with the clicker, but make him hold the position and wait for the click........then transfer this to the agility contact point....

I did this with Molo when our heelwork training wasn't going well (same problem, he would expect the click immediately  ::)) and it was much easier to transfer once he realised the click would be forthcoming after he had held a position for a second or two  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Re: Bit of help from you - please!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »
 :lol2:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais