Author Topic: Tug Games  (Read 992 times)

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Tug Games
« on: April 27, 2007, 08:23:43 AM »
My oldest cocker Molly has just about accepted our latest addition Honey and they have started to play together. My only concern is that they play tug with each other and the noises that they make are pretty scary and i never know if they are just playing or if they are being viscious towards each other? Should i take away thier tug toys or do all dogs sound like this?

Lucy x

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
Re: Tug Games
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:49:32 AM »
As far as I am aware its totally normal for them to growl etc especially during tug games. Just keep watch on their body language etc and you will soon be able to tell if its play or not.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 01:41:53 PM »
Very normal play!

That's half the fun for dogs, is growling and carrying on  :005:

You'll know beyond a doubt if it turns serious  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 10:20:36 PM »
Mine love to play tug with each other and yes it sounds horrendous but I just let them get on with it. The only time I stop it if its on the park and they do it with their leads and another dog is close by and it can then sometimes turn into a problem.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 07:58:11 AM »
Dogs love tug games, they do make some awful noises and I get my kill   :005: when I hear them (my day care dogs).  :005:

I have to discourage my lot from tug games unfortunatley as it can make them have harder mouths which isnt good in working Gun dogs. But they do have fun in other ways  ;)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 11:21:39 AM »
Josie and Buffy love to play tug.  The only thing we have to watch carefully is when Josie lifts the tug up with Buffy hanging on it because she could chuck her across the room  :005:
Suki is more dignified and  looks down her nose at them, but is not adverse to having a little go with either of them if no one else is watching.
The noises they make do sound scary, but not as bad as when Suki and Josie play together  :005:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline BillysMum

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 11:44:08 AM »
My 2 play tug and make some harrendous noises, it sounds like they're killing each other whenever they play but their tails are wagging at 100mph so i figure they're having fun  :005:

Alfie is ever so good though, he lets Billy have a really good tug even though Alfie could easily drag him around by the toy  :luv: