Author Topic: Thinking of getting a Cocker Spaniel - would appreciate some advice ...  (Read 8431 times)

Offline michaelp

• Site Member
Hi all

I'm not entirely sure I'm posting this in the right place, as I don't see any other similar posts, so if I've messed up then apologies in advance!

My wife and I are looking to get a dog, and I was hoping I could get some advice.  We were considering a Cocker Spaniel as from what I've read they are less susceptible to distress from being alone (unlike labradors, our original preference), are fine to have with very young children, can tolerate cats, and aren't too vocal.  Is that the case, or far off the mark? 

The reason we're interested in the distress caused by being left alone is that while I normally work from home and the wife is a teacher (so on holiday a lot), there will be occasional days when I'll have to work away, and if they coincided with the wife working then the dog would be alone from 8am until 4pm.  Are Cocker Spaniels okay to be left for the occasional day (with access to garden, toys, etc)?  Would you recommend a different breed, or indeed no dog at all?  We were thinking of converting the shed to a des-res for the dog, so that way we could hire a local dog walker to come round and get access - would that help? 

Finally, is there any preference given our circumstances as to whether we got a pup/adult, dog/bitch, solid/part-coloured, working/show?  We were thinking a bitch pup with a show rather than working background would be most laid back, but that was based on experience with labradors where the females were a lot more relaxed - I'm not sure if that applies to all dogs or not? 

Appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks

Michael

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
Hi there, this is a good place to come for advice on cocker spaniels.  Cockers are gorgeous wonderful loving pets, but then I would say that!  Personally I won't leave mine for more than 4 hours - some cope with being alone more than others - it is difficult to know how they feel about it because you are not there to know.  Sure signs are barking, damage etc.

I would be nervous of leaving the dog in the garden too, as it could get stolen - we have a padlock on our gate and we don't even leave ours out on her own!

I wouldn't get a show dog as it doesn't sound like you would have time for all the grooming involved, and the coats need a lot of attention.

Isn't there somewhere you could take your dog on the odd days that there will be nobody home? That's what we do - Fern goes to the in-laws and they love having her.  Peace of mind too.

If you got a pup during the school holidays you would have lots of time to spend training and also during the summer is a good time for toilet training as the back door can be left open - we got Fern in July (05) and we have felt very sorry for people who got their pups in the winter.

I wouldn't let my dog go with a dog walker either, only somebody I knew really well - I am a very protective mum.

Fern is my first and there are people on here who have loads more experience so I am sure you will get some good advice soon. 

I will say though, that if you want a dog you need to dedicate your life to it 100% - are you ready for that commitment?
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Cazzie

Hi Caro

There are some good dog walkers & day care centre's I run one  ;)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator

..... and aren't too vocal.  Is that the case, or far off the mark? 

:005:sorry that bit made me laugh - have to say cockers seem to be quite noisy!  I've only limited experence as Ben is our first cocker, but he 'talks' constantly, chunters, moans, whines and groans and yes barks a lot too!!  I'd never heard anything like it until we had Ben, and from what I've seen on here its quite typical!

Others with more experience will fill you in on the rest.  I have to say though although we both worked when Ben was a pup, he was never left for more than 3 hours without someone coming in to play with him or let him out for a wee.

Good luck - have you looked at the behaviour bit - that should give you a clear picture of what cockers are like!!
Bens mum  :luv:

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
There are some good dog walkers & day care centre's I run one  ;)

Oops - sorry!  :embarassed:
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
I smiled at the non too vocal bit too. My two don't make a heap of noise in general in comparison to some other dogs I know but boy do they make a racket when you are taking them out. Sally makes the most impressive high pitched wailing I have ever heard and it sounds to everyone that she has never been out in her life she gets so excited. 

When Glen is playing with another dog it sounds like he is either murdering them or being murdered himself but its all in fun.

They are also amazingly vocal if we leave them in the kitchen and they want to be in whichever room you're in ie the bathroom or bedroom. Ours sleep in the bedroom with us but sometimes you need some alone time in the bedroom, can be a bit distracting with two cockers indignantly woowooing in the kitchen.

Saying all that I love my two to bits and could not imagine being without either of the monsters. They have alot of love to give.

I would consider the fact if you leave them access to the garden unsupervised you leave burglars access to them which is a bit scarier. The better option would be a dog walker/sitter or a friend/family member having them for the day.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
Our cocker is quite quiet and as she is a show cocker with a bit of working (chocolate roan) there isn't too much grooming involved, just 5 minutes a day with a comb. Some of the other show types look like teddy bears  ;)

We have a dog flap for our dogs so they can run in and out of the house, never thought about a dog being stolen from the garden though  >:(

I also work from home, but there is the odd occasion when I have to go into the office, in these cases my OH comes home at lunch and we have never had any problems. Though this is obviously trickier when they are new with you.

We also have a cat and she was fine with our nephew when he came round, he was 16 months.

I think a dog walker would be a good idea, I guess it is the same as trusting children to a nanny/day care centre. You have to have some belief that people out there do these jobs because they enjoy them.

As a breed I would definitely recommend a cocker, but any type of dog is a big commitment.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos

I wouldn't get a show dog as it doesn't sound like you would have time for all the grooming involved, and the coats need a lot of attention.

No offence Caro but I think there's a lot more to take into consideration if choosing between a show and working Cocker than just the length of their coat. I've got 3 show cockers and I'm sure the amount of time I spend on grooming them all is a fraction of the extra time some owners need to spend on walking and keeping their workers stimulated... it certainly is in comparison to the walking schedule that Nicola posted recently.  :lol:

Welcome to the forum Michael - I'm sure a Cocker would make the ideal pet for you - just make sure you are careful in choosing the right breeder - have a read of our FAQ on this HERE. I'd get plans in place for a dog walker though  - 8 hours is too long to leave a Cocker on it's own, they are sociable little dogs that thrive on company.

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
I smiled at the non too vocal bit too. My two don't make a heap of noise in general in comparison to some other dogs I know but boy do they make a racket when you are taking them out. Sally makes the most impressive high pitched wailing I have ever heard and it sounds to everyone that she has never been out in her life she gets so excited. 

When Glen is playing with another dog it sounds like he is either murdering them or being murdered himself but its all in fun.

They are also amazingly vocal if we leave them in the kitchen and they want to be in whichever room you're in ie the bathroom or bedroom. Ours sleep in the bedroom with us but sometimes you need some alone time in the bedroom, can be a bit distracting with two cockers indignantly woowooing in the kitchen.

Thank god!! I thought it was only my Woody who sounded like this when getting ready to take out on a walk  :005:

I have to say that if you want a placid 'seen and not heard' type of dog that a Cocker is not like that at all  :005: I have a solid bitch who is 2 and a bit and an orange and white dog who is 18 months. They are both loveable, affectionate, scatty, noisy, nosey etc. Both are show type but have completely different coats. Woody would never have enough coat to show. Pepsi on the other hand is like a Woolly mammoth and is kept clipped short to avoid matts etc as both love to swim. Pepsi (bitch) is definately the top dog while Woody is more relaxed and doesn't get worked up over bones etc - he just lets Pepsi nick 'em  ::) When they are playing they bomb around the living room, my bed, the garden or whether they happen to be when the fancy takes them, growling at each other and sound really ferocious. I would never leave mine with access to the garden whilst I was out in case they got stolen. I'd be heartbroken. When they are in the garden I keep checking on them like I did my children. I'd also be concerned about a shed getting too hot in the summer. Many dog walkers actually 'dog-sit' so if it's only occasionally that you and your wifes's work will mean leaving your dog all day this might be an option instead. As for a pup or an adult they both come with demands i.e a pup will need  training in toileting, obedience, recall etc whereas an adult dog 'may' come with issues if it's previously been mistreated/neglected. Of course not all re-homed adults have been :D Whatever you decide life with a cocker is busy, full of surprises, you'll have cocker kisses in abundance and will never have a dull moment (or a green lawn again)  :D

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Well done for getting advice first!  :D You'd be surprised at the number of people that don't!! ::)

You know alot depends on the individual dogs. You can get a blanket description for a breed but not all dogs in a breed conform to it, so that's something to bear in mind.

I have an English Cocker (male), American Cocker (male), a Lab (female) and a Golden Retriever (male).

I'll try work through your questions in order.

ANY dog of ANY breed can suffer separation anxiety. Some breeds generally are better than others but there's no guarantee's. 

When my lab was younger she did suffer from separation anxiety which we resolved once we realised what was going on.
My English cocker can be very vocal when I'm out according to my neighbours, though is much better when left together with my other dogs.

You may fall into the same trap as I did. My lab was my first pup. I'm at home the vast majority of time as I'm medically retired, so I spent lots of time with Sapphi and I only went and got on with jobs when she went to sleep. BIG mistake, I should have made sure that I put distance between us during the day so that she got used to spending time apart from me.  You would have to watch that you didn't fall into the same trap.

My English Cocker doesn't like very young children. I don't have children myself but I have a young niece and nephew.  My niece when she was three and Barney was four months old hurt or startled him or both when he'd tucked himself away under a table to go to sleep. Her parents weren't supervising her.  >:(  Barney snapped at her. Since then he doesn't trust her at all so I've taken the decision never to mix them again together.
He's not very tolerant of how very young children behave whereas children that are above 6 he absolutely loves.
Barney has a lovely personality, he's loving and tries hard to please me.  :luv:

My lab, who is a working line, was a nightmare puppy. She virtually bounced off the walls 24/7 and was very mouthy (as in play biting) which I really had to watch with my niece and also that she didn't knock her over all the time. Working lines, as you know, are full of energy.
Now she is three, is very calm, can be left alone. She is wary of men that she doesn't know. She has been since we got her at 8 weeks. We worked very hard with her and we'd more or less resolved it until she was knocked down last year and she reverted back. This we think is in her breeding, we discovered later that she really wasn't well bred and that was down to our naivety when looking for a puppy.

Out of all my dogs my lab tolerates my cat the best, and the cat tolerates her too. 

In general my English cocker, who is show line, can be really quite vocal. I knew this was likely to be an issue so I taught a Quiet command from a pup and he will be quiet when told. He and my American seem to be very much a watch dog so will bark as soon as they see anyone but thats more to let them know that they're hear and waiting for a cuddle!  :005:

I wouldn't leave my dogs alone for a full day, so perhaps you could look at using a reputable day creche or dog walker on the days you're away from home. At the very least a neighbour or friend to pop in and let them out for a wee and spend a little time with. Be very careful leaving a dog in a garden its not something I'd ever recommend there are too many dog thefts from gardens happening.

My Golden Retriever, who is show line, was a very gentle pup and is an exceedingly gentle dog.  He was dream pup and is a dream dog. He loves everyone from babies to older people, he loves every dog he meets. He can be left on his own and has never had a problem and loves going dog training. He is exceedingly tolerant of very young children and will just lie down for them as soon as he sees them and will allow them to do anything to him.
The only reason my cat doesn't like him is that he gets excited when he sees him and the cat disappears quickly!
This doesn't mean all Goldens are the same, there is one in Morgan's puppy class who is a bit willful at the moment but she still has the same gentle character as have all the goldens I have met with the exception of one.

My American cocker is only 5 months old so a bit young to give you an overview of what he's like. He's been very good with my niece and nephew and other children. Loves everyone he meets. He's quiet when he is left, though so far its always been with at least one other dog. He can be vocal when he hears a sound he doesn't know but he's learnt to be quiet when told. He's a lovely character and very loving.

On the whole my boys are much more relaxed than Sapphi, which is the opposite to what you found! But again you will get girls that are laid back and boys that are highly strung, again there's no guarantee's.

As has been pointed out the show line do have coats that have to be groomed much more so than working line. However I wouldn't just use that as the basis of your decision. Living with working line and living with show line can be very different. I've certainly found that and since my working lab have stuck with show lines!

Whatever you decide be very careful as to where you get your pup/dog from. If you decide to get a pup make sure you choose a reputable breeder, it makes all the difference as I have found out.

Not sure if all that will help you, after all that! Hope it does a bit.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
Welcome to COL,Michael. :D

We also have both your favourite preferances - a Cocker & a Lab - neither of which I would want to leave longer than about 4 hours max & definately not unattended in the garden as I am paranoid about them being stolen! ;)

I think the other members suggestion of a dog-sitter/walker for the days you have to be out all day is a good one; Cockers are happy,busy little dogs that do require quite a lot of mental stimulation & company; however Labs tend to be a little more laid-back & forgiving but they can also become very destructive & boisterous through boredom.

Both breeds should have excellent temperaments; we have a show-type cocker & a working-type lab but our cocker is always on the go whereas our lab tends to want to sleep once he's had his walk (until it's supper time!! :shades:)

Good Luck with your final choice! :D
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Billybang

• Site Member
Cockers are wonderful both Show and Working strains.

Extremely dog and people friendly, great for family life.

I have to stress extremely vocally, in my sternest voice!!!  :D Please, please be very careful whom you buy your Cocker from, there are many bad breeders of Cocker Spaniels who breed dogs of bad temperament and knowing a few groomers they have also met some really nasty Cockers, so I would advise going to the breed club to make sure that you get a good breeder and health tested parents. Only buy a KC reg dog.

Working Cockers need a little more exercise if you are a family whom enjoy lovely country walks then they are perfect.

A Show Cocker still as an adult needs a good 90 mins exercise a day so make sure you have the time to give either Cocker some good walks and exercise.

Now when you say you've heard they are good with young children, how young are you talking????

Personally any good breeder shouldn't really sell a Cocker pup to people with under 7's some will stretch to under 5's this is because all pups have very sharp teeth, claws and play pretty roughly enough to hurt a small child and likewise children certainly can hurt a pup, unless you can guarantee complete supervision at all times and segregation when you are upstairs etc.

Re: Leaving alone, your working arrangements are good, it is only going to be the odd day the pup/dog is left, obviously as a pup it should not be alone for longer than 1-2 hours, from 6 months up you can stretch that to 4 hours, but a dog really should not be left longer than you would need a toilet break yourself.  If you have a neighbour or friend who could pop in on the days the dog is left that would be more ideal.

As long as you are careful whom you buy from, Cockers of both types are the best family dogs you can get, loyal, loving, extremely friendly and without a mean bone in their bodies.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Hello, Michael  :D

Cockers make fantastic family pets - but I don't think they are necessarily more suited than Labs, just different, thats all  ;) Any dog can suffer from separation anxiety, dislike young children and/or cats, and can be noisy.......that's one of the delights of dog ownership, they are all individuals  :005: Obviously, the way the dog is bred, and trained, are equally important in defining the type of personality it will grow up to become - but it will always be a dog, and if your expectations are too high, then you will be disappointed :(

The realities of dog ownership are a huge shock to a lot of people.....but if you do your research, read lots of books and spend time and invest endless patience, then you will be rewarded with a devoted and fantastic companion :)

Working Cockers need a little more exercise if you are a family whom enjoy lovely country walks then they are perfect.

I'm not sure I agree to be honest - I think there are very few family homes which are suited to a working-bred dog  :-\

A well bred working cocker with a high working drive needs a lot more than a family who take country walks - they may well need someone who is prepared to make them work, by which I mean use their brain in some way, be it agility, field trials, beating, obedience, flyball.........all these things can also be done with a show cocker (I do agility with Molo), but a show strain dog will not have parents which have been selected for their natural drive and desire to work.....and so are less likely to need that level of stimulation to remain satisfied and content  ;)
In Molo's case (he is a show strain), I can take him on a 10 mile hike, or a quick three mile walk, and he is happy to settle down at home afterwards, whereas a working bred dog is more likely to be looking for more stimulation afterwards  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline lmk

• Site Member
Hi Michael,

There's already some great replies on this board from people much more knowledgeable than me, so I won't say too much, but I will say that Cockers are wonderful family pets - mine was my 8th birthday present, and I'm now 21 and he's still my best friend! He's now losing his sight (but still happy and loving!) and has someone with him 99% of the time either working from home or dog-sitting (in case he gets confused or disorientated), but at various times of his life he would be left alone for 4-5 hours (maximum) and was absolutely fine with it (although he'd knock you over with joy when you got back!). We knew this would be the case so got him into a routine from quite young, and would tire him out in the garden then tuck him up in his bed, and he knew that meant we were going out and would promptly go to sleep without even attempting to follow! As long as he'd been tired out by a good play and walk, he never showed any distress. What we also found with Oscar when he was younger was that he was an incredibly adaptable little chap - some days he'd be taken on 3 hour hikes, others a run round the garden and a walk round the block, but he was always happy and well behaved no matter what. Of course it depends on individual dogs and their personalities, but my experience of growing up with a Cocker was that he was the perfect accompaniment to family life and always happy to fit in with you, as long as there's plenty of food, love, attention and endless cuddles :) Oscar was always extremely good with my much younger cousins too, and could tolerate an endless amount of poking from one particular toddler! (I wouldn't put him near small children now though as he gets startled very easily and it wouldn't be fair on him). He is still a wonderful and extremely good natured dog - they're not dubbed the 'merry Cocker' for nothing  :luv:

One thing I will always say though is that he's definitely always been vocal (when he was a pup he would bark his head off at anyone who came in the house just because he was so pleased to see them, and even now he still gets on my lap and 'chats' to me when I get in until he feels he's said enough!). He also used to make the most pitiful sound if he was ever on the wrong (in his opinion) side of a door! But that was a minor issue compared to what a lovely companion he's always made.

Good luck with your decision!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
a fraction of the extra time some owners need to spend on walking and keeping their workers stimulated... it certainly is in comparison to the walking schedule that Nicola posted recently.  :lol:

Ok, to some I know it seems excessive but they thrive on it, they are incredibly fit and try living with Alfie if he doesn't get it!  :005:

I have two working type cockers and they have a minimum of 3 hours of exercise and training every day, with this they are perfect dogs and incredibly well behaved and laid back at home, without it and they (particularly the younger one) are a barking, growling play fighting whirling dervish  ph34r  They are not noisy dogs in general unless they are play fighting and then they sound like they're killing each other or if the doorbell rings, this drives them nuts. A well bred working cocker will have been bred for it's working drive and ability and they really need to be doing something to channel this drive constructively.  

I definitely would not rule out a show cocker because of grooming, you can after all get the dog clipped in an easier to care for pet style if you find dealing with their coat an issue. An easy to care for coat is the last thing I would recommend someone base the decision to get a worker on! I think given your circumstances and the fact that you don't mention wanting to work a dog then a well bred show type would probably better for you than a worker. As for dog or bitch that's really personal preference, I have one of each and I adore them both. In general terms I do prefer the boys, but that's totally a personal thing.

I also work full time, although I have recently changed to working from home so I am with the dogs  :D  Prior to this I had a dog walker who came and took them out for 2-3 hours every afternoon (not all walking, also riding around in her van which they love), I would walk them for about an hour before work and an hour to two hours after work again. The dog walker had a back door key to my house, I never left the dogs in the garden.

Would you consider an older rescue dog or a bonded pair of rescue dogs? My girl Tilly is 2 and a half and she is a rescue. I got her last year and she is the most wonderful dog, she is fully trained and we were out beating over the winter season. I have been very lucky to get such a well trained dog but there are others out there, people have to give up their dogs for all kinds of reasons unfortunately  :-\  Tilly has genuinely not given me a single second of bother since I've had her, she's a wee  :angel: , Alfie on the other hand chewed his way through a long list of things as a pup and continues to be a challenging, but very rewarding, dog to train  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/