Author Topic: Thinking of getting a Cocker Spaniel - would appreciate some advice ...  (Read 8432 times)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
a fraction of the extra time some owners need to spend on walking and keeping their workers stimulated... it certainly is in comparison to the walking schedule that Nicola posted recently.  :lol:

Ok, to some I know it seems excessive but they thrive on it, they are incredibly fit and try living with Alfie if he doesn't get it!  :005:

I have two working type cockers and they have a minimum of 3 hours of exercise and training every day, with this they are perfect dogs and incredibly well behaved and laid back at home, without it and they (particularly the younger one) are a barking, growling play fighting whirling dervish  ph34r  

Gee Nic please don't tell Glen this when you see him. Mine get about an hour and a half most days and Glen will probably try to sneak into your car if he thinks he's gonna get 3 hours a day.  :shades:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe

Gee Nic please don't tell Glen this when you see him. Mine get about an hour and a half most days and Glen will probably try to sneak into your car if he thinks he's gonna get 3 hours a day.  :shades:

Ha ha, you know I'm gonna have to tell him now  ;) :lol: :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
Well there you are - everyone has a different opinion - some are good left alone, some aren't, some need lots of exercise, some don't, some need lots of grooming, some don't, some are good with children, some aren't, some bark, some don't.

For what its worth (not much) mine is an english working cocker, she's amazingly excellent with children including tiny toddlers and old people, she never jumps up at either.  She doesn't need too much exercise (although gets about an hour a day), she rarely barks, but does when startled, she needs a quick brush each day and is ok on her own for a little while.  She is good with our cat and rabbit (after a bit of training). 

That's all I'm gonna say cos its only my view from my own experience and some people disagree.  Dogs are different, as are people.

Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
a fraction of the extra time some owners need to spend on walking and keeping their workers stimulated... it certainly is in comparison to the walking schedule that Nicola posted recently.  :lol:

Ok, to some I know it seems excessive but they thrive on it, they are incredibly fit and try living with Alfie if he doesn't get it!  :005:

:lol: I don't think it's excessive at all, I'd love to be ina position whereby I could walk my dogs for that long - they'd enjoy it but don't need it as such. An hour a day is fine for mine - when I had back trouble recently they had to make do with not much more than 20 mins a day for about 2 weeks. I have to say they coped brilliantly with it, although I wouldn't like to restrict them to such little exercise long term. They do seem quite adaptable in that regard though.

Re the barking - I've got one noisy one, one really quiet one that hardly ever barks and one that just barks when she's excited and greeting people (usually muffled by a soft toy in her mouth  :lol: ) - it seems to vary in the breed quite a lot.

Kids ? That's one of the main reasons I chose Cockers in the first place, their reputation for being good with kids. Although there's no kids living here, mine come into contact with them on a regular basis and love them. Obviously training has to be put in right from the start though - both with the pup and the kids.

Offline Billybang

• Site Member
I'm not sure I agree to be honest - I think there are very few family homes which are suited to a working-bred dog 

This is absolute rubbish, sorry but have you ever owned a Working Cocker? Over the years, I've had many Working Cockers and Show Cockers to boot and also mixes of both together they all walk the same, play the same and lounge around the same, The Working Cocker as the lab enjoys plenty of off lead walking, but my Show Cockers have always had exactly the same exercise, all mine have always come from Working breeders and gamekeepers but have settled into life as family pets with no trouble whatsoever. They are not hyperactive as a Springer may be, and are calm and loving in the home infact some of my Working Cockers have been much more laid back than the odd Show Type.

The word working can give many people the wrong ideas, Working Cockers react to their enviroment, although bred to be workers  with athletic bodies and high intelligence, they do not have the hyperactivity of many working breeds so are easy to relax into home life, until you own one you really don't know.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Quote from: iwlass
I'm not sure I agree to be honest - I think there are very few family homes which are suited to a working-bred dog 

This is absolute rubbish

Goodness - you certainly don't mince your words, do you?

My opinion that I cannot offer a working cocker a suitable home is based on the many experiences that have been shared on COL by people who own working cockers; including Nicola's which she has already posted on this thread  ::)
I have two working type cockers and they have a minimum of 3 hours of exercise and training every day, with this they are perfect dogs and incredibly well behaved and laid back at home, without it and they (particularly the younger one) are a barking, growling play fighting whirling dervish ph34r  They are not noisy dogs in general unless they are play fighting and then they sound like they're killing each other or if the doorbell rings, this drives them nuts. A well bred working cocker will have been bred for it's working drive and ability and they really need to be doing something to channel this drive constructively.

I know that other people have working cockers which are less driven - but a good breeder of working dogs is not going to select a sire and dame for their ability to curl up on the sofa.....so the puppies are less likely to be content with a pet home......... I know that my family cannot meet the needs of a dog with a high working drive so I would not be prepared to risk it, myself.....there are thousands of working dogs in rescue centres around the country because they weren't as laid back in a pet home as your dogs have been :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

I only have working bred dogs and have a very easy life with them all  ;) Well maybe the terrier can be a bit of a handful  >:D

Regardless of breed if the dog has been bred correctly &  you bring it up and train it correctly you should have no problems. I love springers they are very affectionate dogs and also very loyal.  :blink: I will def have one in the future.

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Welcome to the forum  :D

I have to stress extremely vocally, in my sternest voice!!!  :D Please, please be very careful whom you buy your Cocker from, there are many bad breeders of Cocker Spaniels who breed dogs of bad temperament and knowing a few groomers they have also met some really nasty Cockers, so I would advise going to the breed club to make sure that you get a good breeder and health tested parents. Only buy a KC reg dog.

A KC registered dog is recommended certainly but is still no guarantee.   :-\ 

Speak to your local cocker club rep and they can point you in the right direction.  Please read the pinned thread in the "Looking for a Puppy" section, and that will guide you in your search  ;)

Now when you say you've heard they are good with young children, how young are you talking????

Personally any good breeder shouldn't really sell a Cocker pup to people with under 7's some will stretch to under 5's this is because all pups have very sharp teeth, claws and play pretty roughly enough to hurt a small child and likewise children certainly can hurt a pup, unless you can guarantee complete supervision at all times and segregation when you are upstairs etc.

Are you saying that a breeder that homes a dog with a young child/children is a bad breeder?  :huh:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Billybang

• Site Member
My opinion that I cannot offer a working cocker a suitable home is based on the many experiences that have been shared on COL by people who own working cockers; including Nicola's which she has already posted on this thread  

Um, well 3 hours training, that is obviously because Nicola loves to do that, and the Working Cocker is capable of doing it no problems, but they don't have to do that, people can do that with a lab, a collie a GSD and even a JRT if they wish, many dogs will do 3 hours training, or a 5 mile walk, but it doesn't mean you have to or the dog needs to.

Working Cockers can be pushed to the limits, but will happily be couch potatoes too, so don't be put off ever getting one.  Badly behaved or hyperactive dogs are usually down to no training whatsoever and I'm just meaning the basics, sit, stay, down, recall, No, and a nice off lead walk, they are just as much couch potatoes as any other dog, my past and present workers have approx 90 mins to 2 hours exercise a day, and have always been fit, healthy and relaxed dogs.

Don't ever think they don't make great pets, they are fabulous pet dogs too. ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
My opinion that I cannot offer a working cocker a suitable home is based on the many experiences that have been shared on COL by people who own working cockers; including Nicola's which she has already posted on this thread 

Um, well 3 hours training, that is obviously because Nicola loves to do that, and the Working Cocker is capable of doing it no problems, but they don't have to do that, ...............Badly behaved or hyperactive dogs are usually down to no training whatsoever and I'm just meaning the basics, sit, stay, down, recall, No, and a nice off lead walk, they are just as much couch potatoes as any other dog

Many working cocker owners that post here have shared a different experience to yours, as have the many thousands of people who hand their dogs over to rescue because they can't cope  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Billybang

• Site Member

[/quote]

Are you saying that a breeder that homes a dog with a young child/children is a bad breeder?  :huh:
[/quote]

I would certainly say in my opinion that any breeder that homes a pup to a family with under 5's escpecially, is if not a bad breeder an incompetant one and certainly not thinking of the pups safety or the childs.

Most rescues do not allow their dogs to go to families with under 7's for very good reasons, breeders should follow the same guildelines.

Cazzie

I think the work ' WORKING ' dog is being totally misunderstood. Just because a dog is from working stock does not mean it is a raving lunatic and needs hours and hours of excersise and needs worked. I have a working JRT and she does not go out and kill rats & try and get down rabbit holes & she would not harm a fly (spider maybe). Thats the way I raised her.

Cazzie

[/quote]

I would certainly say in my opinion that any breeder that homes a pup to a family with under 5's especially, is if not a bad breeder an incompetent one and certainly not thinking of the pups safety or the child's.

Most rescues do not allow their dogs to go to families with under 7's for very good reasons, breeders should follow the same guidelines.
[/quote]

Alot of rescue dogs can be unpredictable as their back ground is unsure. I would not necessarily say that a breeder that sells a pup to a family with under 7's is incompetent. I would say that if a prospective owner with under 7's  that does not have the skills or knowledge to handle such pups should not be sold any dog.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Can we please keep this on topic - it's not about show v worker but giving a new forum member and prospective Cocker owner a bit of advice re the breed. Such interjections as "that's absolutley rubbish" will not be tolerated - please treat other forum members and their opinions with respect.

Now, back to dealing with the original question please. Thanks.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Hello Michael and Family :D

You have come to the right place for guidance on the merry cocker breed :shades:

You of course have lots of questions and as a potential new owner thats great to see, doing your homework on the breed you are considering is the first step in becoming a responsible owner ;)

I guess that everyone will have a different view of the breed as no two dogs are the same, however I think for a general overview of the breed, you will find them to be loyal, merry, eager to please yet also willful at times :005:   The cocker obviously requires more time with the grooming etc and also trips to the grooming parlour (or have a go yourself) for haircuts to keep on top of the coat, it can be hardwork and many people opt for their cocker to be clipped, especially if they love water and mud like mine does :lol:    Some cockers require lots of exercise and some will be happy to have an hour a day as Colin has said, this can be split into two separate sessions of 30 mins, if that fits in with your lifestyle better ;)

I have had a few different breeds of dogs in my lifetime and I have found cockers to be very adaptable in terms of a busy household, but she has certainly been harder to train than my GSD's were ;)  My mum has a lab and I can't honestly say that I see much difference between the two breeds, except of course size and coat, mums lab is a little easier to train than Indie (but thats probably my fault)  I have found both breeds to be wonderful family pets :luv:

Wishing you luck with your decision making and research ;)