Author Topic: Thinking of getting a Cocker Spaniel - would appreciate some advice ...  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
You would need to have plans in place so that you can show a breeder that on the days when you're out you have someone who is willing to look after the pup. A caring reputable breeder takes a lot of convincing for you to have one of their pups. If they turn you away for whatever reason don't take it to heart, the acceptable criteria differs with each breeder so you should find one that is happy with you but be prepared for them to ask lots of questions  :D.

Living with a cocker is so different to reading about them, they can be a shock to the system. Mine are very vocal and talkative, they like to make their thoughts known  :D.  
Cayley.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe

Over the years, I've had many Working Cockers and Show Cockers to boot and also mixes of both together they all walk the same, play the same and lounge around the same,

Very briefly off topic but I don't agree with this at all, and I don't think anyone who has been on a walk with my two would agree either. They are regularly walked with show type cockers and they easily run about 10 times as far, and as fast and then are ready for more a few hours later. TBH I would be wary of a working cocker breeder who is willing to sell their pups to purely 'pet' homes.

Sorry to the OP, back on topic now  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
Hi Michael & Welcome to the Forum  ;)

Well this has sparked a lively debate  ph34r

I have had labradors in the past so can totally see where you are coming from.  However, when it came to having a family dog of my own I chose a show type cocker.  To be honest, whilst I love labs I would chose a cocker any day of the week.  But that is just personal choice.  

You have said that it will only be the odd day when the dog would be left for a while, I understand where others are coming from but surely most of us have been in the situation where an odd day arises and we get by and make other arrangements.  Where abouts in the country are you ?  I am sure that you will have a trusted dog walker in the area or some sort of doggy day care - you actually dont know that they are about until you ask around.  Check at the vets and the local pet shop.  

Good luck with your decision and feel free to ask any further questions as I am sure that you will have plenty  :D

Michelle

Offline Billybang

• Site Member
TBH I would be wary of a working cocker breeder who is willing to sell their pups to purely 'pet' homes.

:005:

As the OP has asked for opinions on Working and Showing Cockers this is very relevant and an absolutely silly thing to say, there are many, many people on the site with Working Cockers as loving pets, for someone who actually owns a Working Cocker I find it unbelievable that you are unable to see past their working abilities and not see them as also loving family pets.

It's a bit like saying that people like Seb Coe and Steve Ovette just because they are built and primed to be athletic are not cabable of marrying, settling down in a home and going on nice country walks and would be driven mad to distraction with the urge to run and get back to work.
Working Cockers are not Springers whom certainly can be hyperactive. They only know what they are brought up to know, they are not caged animals because they can't work, they are actually happy go lucky dogs who are very people and dog friendly, enjoy a good country walk and sprint like many dogs they are not the once around the block types, but they certainly do make fabulous pets and thank goodness that breeders do allow this type of Cocker to be in the home, I was introduced to them some 25 years ago and though I adore my Show Cockers, I'm so pleased to have Working Cockers too.

And the absolute plus side to them is that they are not barkers, so my Shows have always followed their lead and even though I have a nice little pack I have laid back quiet dogs.

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
Well until recently I have had both show and working types...and the working types were actual working dogs. Both types are wonderful, but I do think that the show types are a little steadier in the house, but can be more difficult to train.  :-\ depending on what you require from them of course ;)
One of our workers lived in the house and was always a little more restless than the show boys, but that is just my experience.  ;)

I personally shall stick with having show types ;) the grooming is just part of having a dog and if done regularly shouldn't be a problem.

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
TBH I would be wary of a working cocker breeder who is willing to sell their pups to purely 'pet' homes.

As the OP has asked for opinions on Working and Showing Cockers this is very relevant and an absolutely silly thing to say,

Colin has already asked you earlier in this thread to respect other members' opinions. You can disagree with someone without telling them that what they are saying is "rubbish" or "silly". If you can't do this, then maybe this is not the forum for you.

Jane

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
I have a working type, and the breeder was happy to sell him to me as a pet as I plan on doing alot of hillwalking and hiking when he is older (giving my knee time to strengthen more aswell) He did ask me if I was aware of the differences between show and workers and as I assured him of how much walking Loki and I would be doing he was not bothered that he wouldnt necessarily be worked (although I am going to try him with some of the training and see how he goes) I do plan on doing agility and we do other training every day. It is a long hard desicion to make over what kind of dog to get if any. 

Offline michaelp

• Site Member
Firstly, thanks everyone for your replies, its been very useful to read so many thoughtful and detailed answers.  Secondly, sorry to have instigated an argument! 

I printed out the responses last night and we read it in the pub, where I took in the information while the wife devoted more of her time to oohing and aahing over the various doggy photos - Joelf, your lab + cocker photo especially should come with some kind of government warning, she nearly choked on her drink :).

When I mentioned about not being too vocal, sorry I should have been a little more specific - it wasn't general vocalisation we were concerned about, more the guard dog barking constantly mentality we were trying to avoid out of consideration to the neighbours. 

Nicola, we would definitely consider a rescue dog.  Basically we were after whatever dog would be happiest in our environment, whether that meant training from a pup (to get accustomed to the cat for example) or a rescue dog. 

I think we underestimated how much time and effort was involved, however. It sounds more like even working from home isn't exactly enough - my work is fairly concentration-intensive, so I probably wouldn't be able to give the dog as much attention as would be needed.  I'm thinking it would be best to delay (yet again) until one of us gives up work permanently for childcare reasons (at some point in the not too distant future), and then look at a rescue dog that was fine around a young child. 

Thanks again for all your replies - its been a big help.

Michael

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
When I work at home, my three all lay at my feet, including my 7 and a half month old....they are just happy for me to be around and not necessarily doing anything. A cup of tea and biscuit outside every now and again gives them something to think about and a break for me, so I dont think you need to be providing stimulation all the time...and thats what toys and chews are for too!!

I just moved from a home where my OH (now ex) was with them during parts of the day. I now go home to them at lunch times cos I deliberately found a place to live near my work...I think we are all happier ;)

All I'm trying to say is that it can work ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
When I work at home, my three all lay at my feet, including my 7 and a half month old....they are just happy for me to be around and not necessarily doing anything.

Me too - When OH is at work all day (he does shifts) I take Fern for a good walk in the morning then I leave her with a kong while I go to work (from 8.30 til 12 ish) then I work at home in the afternoon - she just sits near me or sleeps and then I give her another walk at tea time - OH is only on days 5 times in 4 weeks but 4 of those days are in a row, which is why I don't just do the pop home lunchtime thing (which works for alot of people) because it happens so rarely it would be a bit much 4 days running - other days he's on nights so is home or he's off, so it works well.  The most difficult thing is if I am on the phone - often then she gets a bit boisterous, but other times she takes no notice.  At least if you are there (even with your head down) he/she can go off in and out the garden etc. 
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe

As the OP has asked for opinions on Working and Showing Cockers this is very relevant and an absolutely silly thing to say, there are many, many people on the site with Working Cockers as loving pets, for someone who actually owns a Working Cocker I find it unbelievable that you are unable to see past their working abilities and not see them as also loving family pets.

It's a bit like saying that people like Seb Coe and Steve Ovette just because they are built and primed to be athletic are not cabable of marrying, settling down in a home and going on nice country walks and would be driven mad to distraction with the urge to run and get back to work.
Working Cockers are not Springers whom certainly can be hyperactive. They only know what they are brought up to know, they are not caged animals because they can't work, they are actually happy go lucky dogs who are very people and dog friendly, enjoy a good country walk and sprint like many dogs they are not the once around the block types, but they certainly do make fabulous pets and thank goodness that breeders do allow this type of Cocker to be in the home, I was introduced to them some 25 years ago and though I adore my Show Cockers, I'm so pleased to have Working Cockers too.

And the absolute plus side to them is that they are not barkers, so my Shows have always followed their lead and even though I have a nice little pack I have laid back quiet dogs.

Of course working cockers can be loving pets, if you'd actually read my first post I clearly state that my two are laid back and fab about the house but I don't agree with encouraging people to keep workers purely as pets, simply because this may encourage people who don't really know anything about the breed and who don't do enough research to go out and get a worker and then they don't know what's hit them when the dog gets to a year old and is running rings around them. That is why there are so many young working cockers in rescue  :-\   My two are only wonderful in the house when they have had adequate exercise and not just a quick run in the park or walk through the woods. And any well bred working cocker will have strong natural hunting and working instincts whether or not you actually work it and to keep it as a pet without letting it use this drive in some way to me is just not right and not fair to the dog.

Comparing dogs and people really is *ridiculous*; dogs are not people, they cannot reason with themselves about changed circumstances and people are not bred to enhance certain traits and instincts. I could go on  ::)

Do you know any Springer owners? I wonder why it is a lot of them say that they wouldn't have a working cocker because they are too 'mad' and can be diifficult to train??  :huh:  Check out the It's A Spring Thing forum for back up for that one.

Right, that's my last response on this but I couldn't let that one go. Apologies again to the OP and mods  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
I work from home occasionally and my task is quite intense (after I have been on COL of course  :005:).  blue is happy to just sit with me or mooch around.  Often I have the back door open so he can come in and out as he pleases.  But when it is coffee or loo break I spend 5 mins playing in the garden.  Then at lunchtime I take him out for a walk round the block. 

It does work, you just have to tailor it slightly. 

Good luck with your search.

Offline Billybang

• Site Member
Actually I think you'll probably find if you really look at the stastics that there are tenfold as many Show Cockers in rescue, and even more labs, springers and staffies, Working Cockers are very low statistically for the breed to end up in rescue.

I entirely agree with you that they can not go to a, (excuse the example small terraced house in the middle of an estate) and need a home where they will get loads of excercise and be able to run free off lead. But as I have said I have had Working Cockers for the past 25 years and never have I ever come across a breeder that has not asked very specifically about the excercies I can give one of these dogs, I know it probably may happen that an odd breeder won't care who they give their pups to and may let a pup go the wrong place, but that does happen in all breeds of dog.

[Do you know any Springer owners? I wonder why it is a lot of them say that they wouldn't have a working cocker because they are too 'mad' and can be diifficult to train??

/i]

As for Springers I have owned one, never again!!! He was a nightmare, I love both types of Cocker and perhaps I have just been really lucky but my Working Cockers have always been a dream to own and train, everyone who has ever met them have said what beautiful laid back dogs they are, perhaps it is how I bring them up I have always trained my dogs well, but I truly can't see the negativity from my experience of them being pet dogs at all.

Cazzie

IMO: Unless you can realistically care for a dogs needs in every way without it having to spend long periods of time alone maybe a dog is not a good idea until you're cuircumstances change. I waited many years to get a dog of my own and had to put my longing for one to the side until I could care for it correctly.  :blink:

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
I waited many years to get a dog of my own and had to put my longing for one to the side until I could care for it correctly.  :blink:

Same here, we used to have a Springer who we got from the Springer Rescue. She was fantastic but needed lots of exercise and metal stimulation. When I worked part time and used to walk to the school 3 times a day through the woods it was easy to accommodate. Circumstances then changed and I needed to work full time and OH's hours changed. It become harder to fit in all the exercise she needed without dragging already sickly children out in all weathers. Fortunately for us (and her) she was by then getting older and arthritic and needed less exercise. Once she passed on we waited 8 years until our working hours were stable, a dog would only be left for a max of 3 1/2 hours 4 days a week and the kids were all older so that we could dog walk on our own.

At the moment I am at home on sick leave with back problems and have been for nearly 6 weeks. In that time OH walks them for an hour in the morning and they happily spend all day mooching after me and having occasional cuddles. My daughter and her friend then walk them again on their return from school. I have considered a position working from home and the only draw back I could see (from a personal propective) is if they were to be barking because someone came to the door and I was on the phone to a Customer. I think they'd quite happily let me 'get on with it' so long as they could be near me and OH had walked them.