Author Topic: Question on Vitamin c in food  (Read 2811 times)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Question on Vitamin c in food
« on: May 26, 2007, 08:54:31 PM »
Hi guys

Been talking bout diet and someone said that Autarky had added vitamin C, yes I checked the packet and it does  :-\

Said person said that dogs make their own Vitamin C and so don't need it added to food. (So if true could it be harmful?)

Can I have your thoughts, replies please as now I'm a  bit unsure whether to keep the dogs on this or not  :-\

Thanks

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Question on Vitamin c in food
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 09:01:34 PM »
I was under the impression that excess vitamin c was just excreted and therefore not toxic - I found this article which confirms that

Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)
Effects: Vitamin C is synthesized in the liver by dogs. It is important in collagen synthesis, and in many other metabolic reactions, including proper functioning of the immune system. Since the dog's body produces Vitamin C, many pet food manufacturers and veterinarians state that it is not required in the food and that oversupplementation may be harmful. This is not true, and supplementation in an appropriate form (for example Ester-C, calcium ascorbate) can have beneficial effects on dogs suffering from chronic joint and musculoskeletal disorders. In puppies it helps to prevent the development of such disorders.
Deficiency: Signs of deficiency include impaired wound healing, greater susceptibility to infection (decreased immune function), muscle and joint pain.
Toxicity: None, vitamin C is water soluble and excess is regularly excreted by the body, but overconsumption may cause diarrhea since vitamin C is a natural laxative. Recent studies have shown that excessively high doses of vitamin C may contribute to the formation of kidney stones, and in very rare cases anemia caused by interference with vitamin B12 absorption.
Stability: Partially or completely destroyed by overcooking or long periods of storage as it is sensitive to heat, light and oxygen.
Sources: Citrus fruits, berries, tomatoes, cauliflower, potatoes, green leafy vegetables, green peppers
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 09:04:13 PM »
Thanks Gill, so another words the amount put in to Autarky should be ok?

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 09:06:53 PM »
Like Gill says, it's excreted so no harm.

But one must question why they add it if it's not necessary???? Is it so that owners think that their diet is superior or more scientific?

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 09:11:02 PM »
I'm in the middle of changing them on to this  ::) Can't get Burns, any other suggestions?

Also looked at Gilpa Kennel as it has new zealand green mussel powder in it and with Jock that would be a bonus but not looked at all the ingridients as yet

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 09:13:29 PM »
I am sure when we had Molly all those years ago, the breeder said she gives all her pups (and probably dogs) vitamin c powder in with their food. I have never used it, so I can't say. Mine just get garlic and fish oils with their grub.

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 09:33:07 PM »
I'm in the middle of changing them on to this  ::) Can't get Burns, any other suggestions?

Also looked at Gilpa Kennel as it has new zealand green mussel powder in it and with Jock that would be a bonus but not looked at all the ingridients as yet

Just wondering why you can't get Burns Cazza ?

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/stockists/

This is web site link, to search for nearest stockist. You can also order on line direct. Although I don't know exactly where you are, They do list Scottish addresses ? Jann ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 10:48:11 PM »

Cazza do you want burns?  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 12:09:13 AM »

But one must question why they add it if it's not necessary???? Is it so that owners think that their diet is superior or more scientific?

No, the vitamin C is added as a natural preservative  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 01:13:41 PM »
I am in Scotland and don't have a problem getting Burns here, I am weaning my 2 onto it just now.  I have found more than a few places stock this only difference being the price, so I shop about a bit to try and get the best price. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 02:38:42 PM »

Cazza do you want burns?  ;)

Cazzie  I have PM'd you thanks  ;)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 09:57:18 AM »
I fed raw but when Penny was in whelp I gave extra vit C to help with growth and repair as suggested in the diet I was following.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.