Author Topic: a quick question  (Read 1127 times)

Offline seaspirit

• Site Member
a quick question
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:27:30 AM »
As some of you are aware we took Barney for his forst training session.
Now all week I have been doing the bits we were told and rewarding him with coachies, liver pieces etc but I have found he is not eating his normal food.
Am I giving him too many rewards?? :huh:

Thanks in advance :D

Cazzie

Re: a quick question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 11:37:25 AM »
You could be  :-\ Or he could be waiting to see if there is something a bit tastier for him  :005: Little rascal. I wouldnt over do it on the treats  ;)

Just out of interest, how many do you give him through out the day and do you reward him all the time with them or do you use them for training only?  :blink:

Offline seaspirit

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
I'm just using them for training at the mo haven't done any training this morning, he seems to miss the kids when they go to school and just lays around sulking really until they come home. The only time I can get him to do anything is when I am practising his training techniques lol.
How many treats would you recommend with each technique. He seems to have mastered the sit with my index finger pointing in the air. Do I still keep givng him a trat each time he does it  :huh: How long until I stop giving a treat :huh: Am concentating on his recall now which is ok as long as the cat isn't about :005: Have been doig the walk on loose lead/ off lead one and been told to reward him everytime he catches up with me.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 12:21:28 PM »
Make the treats half or a quarter of the size they are now. Even coachies can be broken into half. That way you can do the same amount of training and only give him half the amount of treats.  :D
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk