Author Topic: What puts weight on?  (Read 4323 times)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Re: What puts weight on?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 10:10:30 AM »
Sue, we have started feeding the Pork and Potato Burns (as SaffiWestie has lots of allergies) and we have noticed that they have both lost a little weight as we didn't change the portions.

Both dogs havent been acting hungrier than usual either so maybe that would be worth a go?

Janey

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007, 10:23:12 AM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline caty

• Site Member
  • Flyndo
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007, 10:25:13 AM »
I'm trying to get Flynn to lose a bit of weight as his ribs had a little padding around them. I switched onto JWB and give them about 180g a day each with nothing else. After a couple of weeks and a lot of retrieving tennis balls in the park I can definately see a difference..I can now see his waist more clearly.

I think the problem with me was giving too many "high value" treats during training, such as chopped sausage and cheese (they love this!) so I've also replaced their treats with some of their daily ration of JWB.

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 12:59:11 PM »
Su How many Grams you feeding the girls now ? Ive just held an 100gram packet of blueberries to try and understand how much your all talking about  :-\

I feed Jessie (an 12.4kg tall cocker) 130grams a day across 2 meals, 65grams each of Burns.

She also gets thru the day some Burns Kelties, a pizzle 2/3 times a week, some Arden Grange treats and if she is very lucky some treats I get from the internet that are homebaked!

The vet would like Jessie to be a little more slender but I don't want her to be boney so I am pretty happy. Perhaps a kilo off would be a good idea...have to throw the chuckit a bit more

Janey

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »
I'm trying to change the weight on all my lot:

Bella (speyed and a dinky girl, should be 10kg but is about 10.4 and it's proving very hard to shift those 400g)
Zorro (neutered but only 10 months and eats like a bloomin' horse but is a little too lean for my liking)
Ziggy (16 year old cat, too thin but eats like a horse)
Taj (9 year old cat, way too fat thanks to some silly neighbour feeding him who won't stop)

With the dogs they're both on raw look at the difference in what they get:

Bella - 175g per day (1.75% of her ideal body weight, they normally recommend 2-3% should be fed), she gets chicken backs (no fat or skin), breast of lamb with almost all the fat trimmed off, tripe with the tiniest bit of liver, and beef mince (5% fat). Barely any treats although she does scavange in the park and gets the occasional bit of frankfurter sausage on walks.

Zorro - 450g per day (3.75% of his ideal fully grown weight of 12kg), he gets chicken wings with the skin on, fairly fatty breast of lamb, bigger bits of liver than Bella and beef mince. I'm also giving him bits of porridge in the hope the oats will bulk him out a bit.

I feel so sorry for Bella on her measly little portions, thank god they can't see into each other's bowls!  :lol:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »
Sue, we have started feeding the Pork and Potato Burns (as SaffiWestie has lots of allergies) and we have noticed that they have both lost a little weight as we didn't change the portions.

Both dogs havent been acting hungrier than usual either so maybe that would be worth a go?

Janey

...thanks Janey, might be worth a go  ;)

Su How many Grams you feeding the girls now ? Ive just held an 100gram packet of blueberries to try and understand how much your all talking about 

Nic, I was feeding them 60gms of Burns once a day ...with a 1" square of Butchers just to moisten it and handful of rice :D 

Yesterday I left out the rice so they are now having 60gms Burns, Butchers and I added some green beans ...will see how it goes  :D

..thanks for your help.
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"