Author Topic: Starting on BARF  (Read 4052 times)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Starting on BARF
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 08:29:10 AM »
I feed  offal about 3 times per week, but we are only talking of small amounts added to the main meal, say 10% max. You will see the effects as the stools will be darker but still firm. ;)
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 09:01:06 AM »
I mix it with her main meal too - eg this morning she has had half a lamb heart with a couple of small chicken wings  ;) Hopefully that should help keep things solid!!  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 05:38:10 PM »
When you think about, it BARF feeding does involve an awful  lot of poo gazing doesn't it? :005:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 09:49:55 PM »
When you think about, it BARF feeding does involve an awful  lot of poo gazing doesn't it? :005:

....yes.  I've only had Bracken for 5 days, and I'm getting quite obsessive about it already  ph34r

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 10:13:52 PM »
Yes, I always peer at Coco's poo when she has done one - it helps me to decide what she is getting for her next meal!  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 04:34:38 PM »
 :lol: Well at least BARF poo is more interesting than ordinary  poo. You never know what you're going to get from one day to another, colours of the rainbow, variable consistancy. The best thing tho' is that there's never too much of it and if you do forget to pick it up, it crumbles away into nothing in a day or two  :D
happydog

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 05:37:49 PM »
...And there's very little smell ph34r

Offline MontyMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 05:56:04 PM »
Sorry to jump on this thread (hope you don't mind LesleyW??-glad to hear Bracken is getting on okay with her BARF diet)
Monty has just eaten his first ever chicken wing!!  We are starting on a path heading towards a BARF diet but just tentatively as he's had a few problems already with his (ahem) bottom...gland issues mainly but if he's loose it aggravates the glands and it's a horrible spiral!!  I love reading threads with people who have done/are embarking on BARF, it's very educational, and reassuring!!

He took about half an hour to eat his wing-licked it for about 27 of those minutes then got the hang of it and polished it off very speedily!!  Cleaned the floor and came in buzzing looking for more!!

Is there any other meat items people would recommend to complement his Burns for a little while while firming him up and (hopefully) helping his gland issues??  Once I know his gut is okay with BARF I'll be looking to change him over completely.

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 06:05:27 PM »

Monty has just eaten his first ever chicken wing!!  ....  I love reading threads with people who have done/are embarking on BARF, it's very educational, and reassuring!!

Is there any other meat items people would recommend to complement his Burns for a little while while firming him up and (hopefully) helping his gland issues??  Once I know his gut is okay with BARF I'll be looking to change him over completely.

Not at all - I love to hear about others embarking on BARF too!  Isnt it something when they eat their first wing!! :lol: I chopped Brackens into 3, as i wasnt sure if she would know what to do, but she crunched it down eagerly and loves them now (i'm still chopping them up tho, as shes a little too enthusiatic to my mind).
I found she loves turkey mince - maybe you could use to supplement the Burns?

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 10:51:02 PM »
Lamb ribs. You can buy breast of lamb (butchers/supermarket) and feed a couple of ribs. Try to ensure it's not too fatty though. Some fat is good but not too much. Or you could buy AMP freeflow mince (for working dogs) try your pet shop for this as most of their freeflow mince contains ground bone. This should help to firm things up.

IMO by feeding Burns and supplementing with BARF you are probably dragging out  the changeover more than you need. Dogs guts wont know which way to go enzyme wise  :-\ . Best to change straight off. Just my experience  ;) .
happydog

Offline MontyMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 11:01:33 PM »
IMO by feeding Burns and supplementing with BARF you are probably dragging out  the changeover more than you need. Dogs guts wont know which way to go enzyme wise  :-\ . Best to change straight off. Just my experience  ;) .

I really appreciate the advice  :luv: ...but I'm mindful that I don't want to take over this thread with my queries...would you object if I PM you with a couple of questions and specifics about Monty??  I do want to give BARF a proper go if it could help him with his anal gland issues (within reason I'll try anything to avoid him having to have surgery which is looking more and more likely all the time  :'( so long as my 'trying anything' does not have a negative effect on him!!)  He needs to have his glands expressed and we'll see the vet on Monday, after that I'm quite prepared to try anything with enthusiasm...prior to that I'm just a bit cautious as I don't want him to get any worse from my meddling!!  It's late you'll have t forgive me if all that is a bit jumbled and confused   ph34r

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 11:06:37 PM »
would you object if I PM you with a couple of questions and specifics about Monty?? 
Not at all  :D . Will reply tomorow as v.tired tonight.
happydog

Offline MontyMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 11:15:19 PM »
would you object if I PM you with a couple of questions and specifics about Monty?? 
Not at all  :D . Will reply tomorow as v.tired tonight.

:005:  :005: I'll PM tomorrow...as....Zzzzzzzzz.....ditto!!!!  :005:  :005:

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 12:19:58 PM »
YIKES!  :o

...gave Bracken the end of the lamb joint (leg end, the bit that the butcher always cuts and leaves hanging) and i think shes eaten it!  Cant find it anywhere, so i presume shes munched it up....

i suppose its possible that shes buried it somewhere, but i cant see a sign on anything in the garden....

Only took my eyes of her for a few minutes too...

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007, 06:40:44 PM »
Mine eat them too, I found 1 small piece left which was about 1" long. ;)