Author Topic: Can I give milk?  (Read 7052 times)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
Re: Can I give milk?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2007, 10:47:58 PM »
this might make you smile the badgers in the field at the back of me have been on occassion seen drinking milk direct from the teat of a cow getting their own drink, they are adults and i'm not sure where the behaviour has come from but its not the first time that I have heard this happening :D  Not good for TB but you have to smile at their only little meal on wheels..

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2007, 10:51:11 PM »
 :005: :rofl1: i bet that's a sight :005:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 10:56:11 PM »
I just met my pup & breeder yesterday.  Don't get pup til 31.8.07.  However the very 1st thing the breeder said to me was not to feed the pup milk. As he said, a dog is an animal and if it was in the wild it would not drink milk after being weaned. That's also his reasons for not feeding the dog anything sugary, salty etc but as a first time owner I was glad for this advice - although when my parents had a golden retriever when i was growing up she would eat anything & everything (except pickled onions  :005: )

Your breeder sound very selective with his advice unless the pups are all being raised onto raw meat aswell as they wouldn't get tinned food or kibble in the wild either. :005:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 07:39:05 AM »
My dogs have Weetabix or Shredded Wheat for breakfast with a little semi-skimmed milk. They have never suffered any ill effects from it.  My previous dogs have all had te same, 2 of them lived to the  age of 13 years and one lived to 15 & a half, so milk certainly isn't harmful for ALL dogs.

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2007, 08:48:23 AM »
When Lucy was a puppy she would have weetabix with warm puppy milk (Sherleys Lactol from pets at home) for breakfast each morning. this was recommended by the breeder. Lactol is made from whey products and is a formula milk for dogs, it is easier for them to digest than cows milk

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »
Our dogs sometimes have a drink of very weak tea with milk when I visit my mother; the main reason is that she likes to give them 'tea & biscuits' ::) & I feel that so long as it isn't too often it's never done them any harm.  :shades:

As puppies Stanley & Sidney had one meal of evaporated milk & 'ReadyBrek' but that was 20 odd years ago & today I think a lot of breeders are like Mary & recommend a complete diet after weaning. ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)