Author Topic: When to move to 2 meals?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
When to move to 2 meals?
« on: November 06, 2007, 08:39:46 AM »
I was just wondering if and when you moved your pups on to 2 meals a day? Roxy is coming up for 5 months old and we feed her Burns puppy/mini bites and she has been thriving.
She gets fed 150g split in to 3 and fed at 7am, 1pm, and 7pm.

- claire- x
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline Shell.B

• Site Member
Re: When to move to 2 meals?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:15:42 AM »
We had Cassie now 19 weeks on 3 meals aday but she stopped eating her dinner time one on her own a couple of weeks ago, she has scrambled egg for her breakfast and a main meal in the evening which is the way she prefers it, she cut herself down even though we didn't think she was ready for it but you can't force them to eat what they don't want. The vet said that at her age she should really be on 2 meals aday.
Haven't really helped though have I sorry  :D

Offline les

• Site Member
  • Bentley the scruff
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »
Bentley is now 4 1/2 months and tends to leave his mid-day meal - I have the feeding plan from the breeder in front of me, and this states he should still be on 4 meals per day reducing to 3 meals at around 6 months.  Then reducing to 2 meals per day at around 9 months. I won't force feed him though, he is still a Beefy Bentley so I'm happy for him to find his own way really.
Bentley & his Mum

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 12:36:54 PM »
I can't remember how old Sam was when we move him to 2 meals but when he didn't really bother with his lunch for a while we decided to switch to 2 meals and he has been fine.  He is also fed at 7am and 7pm.
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:25:28 PM »
Hi Claire

Daisy is coming up to 6 months and I recently tried her on two meals of Burns Puppy food, but she was still hungry mid day. 

So I have her on 150grams Burns Puppy Mini Bites, but the morning feed (7am) and the evening feed (7pm) are larger than the one in the middle.   ;)   I have also dramatically reduced her treats when training.  She just has cooked chicken breast chopped up for really, really good recalls  :luv:  and chopped chipolata for everything else.

When she starts leaving food at the mid day meal I will try cutting it out again, but at the moment she's still wolfing it all down in one go!  :D

I would suggest you try it one day and see how you get on.  It can't do any harm.

Love

Kay
-x-

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 06:27:15 PM »
Coco was about 6/7 months when I dropped her midday meal.  I agree, if Roxy loses interest in her lunch that is the time to think about cutting down to 2 meals.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 08:41:30 AM »
Thanks for that Guys ;)
Kay thanks for that. Yesterday i didn't feed her lunch and she was really funny about eating at dinner time. It took me ages to coax her in to eating....i think she must have felt a bit like us when you get over hungry, sometimes you don't feel like eating at all.
Like Daisy we normally feed Roxy a smaller lunch than brekkie and dinner and she seems to be doing really well on that so i will be sticking to her normal 3 meals until she loses interest in Lunch........(like i can see that happening the little piglet!  :005:)

-claire- x
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:56:21 AM »
If she is getting the correct daily allowance for her age/weight then dont think it matters whether its 2 or 3 meals really at that age. I think Goose was on 2 meals a day when I got him and he was 6/7mnths old. There are no strict guildlines as to you must feed once/twice/three times a day, im sure you will know when she is ready.  ;)

Some of the dogs I look after ie an 8 year old cocker is on 4 meals a day, she is a tad overweight but they do give her more than she should be getting in a day. They do know that she is overweight and I have managed to convince them to only give the recommended daily allowance split into 4 rather than 4 times the daily amount. She is their baby and treat her just like a child and she basically eats when they do.  :005: