Author Topic: Food - What Brand???????  (Read 1421 times)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Food - What Brand???????
« on: January 20, 2004, 10:31:18 PM »
Hi There
Our ickle orange roan Jessie seems to eat whatever is around!  :) We can give her anything and she eats it. She came to us on a raw meat diet which she didnt eat alot of or seem to enjoy so we changed her to Beta Puppy as quickly as we could which she loved and would eat her meal in 20 secs flat  :D and we called her'Jessie Dyson'   :lol: . Our other puppy, Saffi, a Westie was the fussy eater, she would not eat anything so she has tried a few things...and is now on JWB lamb & rice for puppies and loving it as long as there something tasty with it..like Butcher tripe tins for puppies :x . However I was wondering whether I should move Jessie to JWB too...or should we put them both onto another brand...there are so many to choose from....I have been recommended Nutro by our puppy trainer and it looks like a good brand as it is mostly dried meat and natural ingredients. Any advice from anyone is welcome on this topic..I want to feed them both on good quality food...preferable the same type...but there is so many available...I guess an hypoallergenic one would be good as Saffi can get itchy skin  :( . I guess Im worried cos Jessie will eat anything whether its good or not and I want to make sure she gets all the goodness she will need.
Sorry this is so long...and thanks for reading it all  :oops:
Jane (and Jessie)                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Food - What Brand???????
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 10:44:51 PM »
You could try Burns.  take a look at their website.

www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk

My mums cocker is on burns and she looks brilliant on it, lovely shiny coat and theres absolutely no nasty additives or chemical preservatives in it.  A good local pet shop will order it in for you or you can order direct off their web site.  You won't get it in any supermarkets though.

Its meant to be especially good for dogs with allergies etc.  the website is very informative indeed and their home delivery service is very efficient.

Hope this helps

Linda and Jess  (Jess 5 mnth golden cocker fed raw)
[/url]                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline PennyB

Food - What Brand???????
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 11:29:42 PM »
Might be worth trying her on the small bite Burns if you do as I've discovered with mine that as pups they always found any dry food in larger pieces was too difficult to bother with.

Am transferring my two over to adult small bite Burns at the moment which they love.

Or you could try naturediet:

http://www.naturediet.co.uk                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Food - What Brand???????
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 08:12:36 AM »
Hi Jane,

my 14 week old boy is on Burns mini bites (puppy type) and is thriving on it. His coat has got much shinier, and he loves the crunch. I bought a huge sack, which worked out at 27p a day or something, so it's economical too, and Indie loves it.

He also doesn't eat his poo as much, someone said because it's a good quality food there's less waste in their poo, so it's not as appetising, sorry! - but it does seem to put him off, the scamp.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Food - What Brand???????
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 08:48:41 AM »
Nutro is an excellent food - but then most of the dry premium foods are, it all comes down to what suits your dog and your pocket :D  If you have a hoover monster - then that's great, means you'll get away with anything  :lol: - just decide which one you want and stick to it. Swapping puppies foods over can make them fussy eaters and is best avoided.

Most premium foods do a puppy stage which has smaller kibble suitable for puppies smaller mouths - Nutro does. Look for what the main ingredients are, if wheat and/or cereal products form the higher percentage, then it's being bulked up. Meat should be the primary ingredient with maybe rice or pasta, fish oils and vegetables etc.

Also consider how easy it is to get the one you decide on. Many of the more exclusive foods such as Nutro can't be bought from your local supermarket or pet shop and mail order is often the only way you can get it. However, usually you can get next day delivery, or you just have to be organised and not wait until you're scraping the bottom of the sack before deciding now's the time to order more :lol:

Some manufacturers won't allow their product to be sold next to another, Eukanuba(Iams) operate on such a basis I believe.

Premium dry food contains all your pup needs and usually the "end" resluts :wink: are less in volume and odour than that from other foods.

Feeding your puppies now is such hard work. There is so much pressure to feed "the best". There isn't a best food, some are higher quality than others of course, but no one is supreme. Many puppies and dogs are fussy and it doesn't matter how good a food is, if they won't eat it, it's no good.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Food - What Brand???????
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 05:15:27 PM »
Hope no-one minds me resurrecting this string - I am seeking advice on feeding ickle Molo.

He's been with us a week, and is now 11 1/2 weeks old. On the advice of his breeder we are giving him:

A weetabix and milk for breakfast, with a few Nutro Puppy Chicken and Rice

A Pedigree puppy pouch for lunch with a  handful of Nutro

A puppy pouch for tea with a handful of Nutro

A bowl of milk and 2 gravey bones for supper

We want to slowly convert him onto only dry food (Nutro) rather than keep him on the pouches, and we plan to do it over the course of a few weeks, but we've looked at the recommended quantity on the Nutri packet for his wight (he's 4.7 Kg) and it seems hardly anything! Does the food 'swell' to fill their tummies?

Also, when do we reduce the meals down to 3 per day - and which one do we drop first? He eats his breakfast like hes never been fed, but usually leaves a bit of the other 2 meals.

Sorry for the daft questions, but I want to make sure I get it 'right'  :wink:

Thanks                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Food - What Brand???????
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 05:26:00 PM »
Lottie came to us being fed on nutro dry mini puppy food with a little tinned puppy chum mixed with it.

Over a couple of weeks I dropped the chum and she just had the Nutro. She is an excellent eater though, I don't think she would refuse anything edible :lol:

I just add a little bit of warmed water, just to soften it slightly and bring out the taste.

I reduced her to 3 meals a day at 16 weeks, I dropped her supper meal.

I agree the quantities look tiny, Lottie is 18 weeks now and weighs 6kg and only gets 50g, and she eats it in seconds :D
She is fit, healthy and happy though and definitely does less and smaller poos.

I think it probably does swell up in their tummy so a little goes a long way.                    

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Food - What Brand???????
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 10:08:23 PM »
Rachel

I was just talking this over with my breeder as Alfie seemed to be over hungry at times and other times didnt want his food at all. Atm hes on four meals, 3 meat and one weetabix and goats milk. The weetabix Ive now moved down to tea time instead of morning and this is working atm.

However when I change down to three meals which I think will be sooner rather then later I shall cut out the weetabix and feed him morning, noon and night (nature diet with JWB) with maybe a chicken wing between lunch and dinner to keep him going.

Yes the kibble looks a piddling amount doesnt it? But then its not filled out with water like wet food. When you do go over to all kibble you need to make sure the water bowl is always full as he will drink a lot more then now

Caroline and Alfie                    
Caroline and Alfie