Author Topic: Purinas Bakers Complete  (Read 11707 times)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2004, 11:45:26 AM »
I have to try with Douglas as I'm still trying to get those extra lbs on him and now I've increased his exercise back to two walks a day though so fingers crossed he will not loose everything he put on :roll: :roll:   He is a funny beggar though as you will give him something he really likes, he will then sniff it and then come and see what else you've got.  

He does love his Sardines in Sunflower Oil though and finished the whole bowl of food I gave him last night  :lol:  :lol:   Might just have to give him Sardines every day, but his kisses aren't very nice  :wink: very fishy  :roll:  He loves Digestive Biscuits as well  :wink: funny boy

I must say that both Sebastian and Bart will only eat their fill and then leave the rest, they are on semi diets at the mo as they are both a tad over weight so they are getting their JWB, Rice Cakes and a little bit of NatureDiet, Cooked Mince, Chicken Wing/Drumstick, Sardines etc and they have lost a few lbs each so I'm pleased !!!                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2004, 11:56:37 AM »
right you lot....stop bragging about your dogs with insatiable appetites  :lol:  :lol: or Emma and I will send Butty and Indie to give you a wake up call  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

:lol: Way to go Gilly :wink:                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2004, 12:01:32 PM »
Emma,

We used to let Billy graze and constantly topped the bowl up :lol: we ended up with quite a chubby dog :shock: but the other reason for changing his eating habits is that with the prospect of getting number 2 we where concerned that a bowl of adult food would prove to much temptation to a pup :o  We tried naturediet and butchers( only tiny bits well mixed) to try and entice him to eat his autarky in one sitting, he quickly went off these, then we tried Asda's smartprice mince (90p) frozen I boil a small handful of this with some water for a few minutes and poor over this autarky, he loves this and never leaves any. Oh and then there are the chicken wings :D

Michelle                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2004, 01:03:31 PM »
right you lot....stop bragging about your dogs with insatiable appetites  :lol:  :lol: or Emma and I will send Butty and Indie to give you a wake up call  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Having had a picky Cocker and now one with an insatiable appetite I have to say I actually find the greediness more alarming. At least I can trust Jimmy not to eat any old rubbish when out in the park, Misty however is always on the search for a free lunch. I suspect  that one day she will make herself really ill as a result. I just know the picnic season is going to be a nightmare too, she'll be straight in there scavenging with all the Labs. :roll:  :lol:

Emma.... maybe when Indie brought you that dead wood pigeon she was trying to give you a hint as to what she would really like to eat. Perhaps you need to buy a shotgun. :lol:                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2004, 01:51:57 PM »

Maybe we should arrange a swap for a couple of days...... :D

They say the grass is always greener.........                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2004, 04:46:35 PM »
It's funny, but my springer, who is also a very fussy eater and who more often than not walks away from her food licking her lips which frustrates the hell out of me (grrr!), weighed 20 kilos at her last check-up - the vet even referred to her as a big girl :shock: I told him to check her again, but he was right. How can a dog that doesnt eat, become hefty?

And as seems to be the way with anyone who has 2 dogs (especially a blue roan! :lol: ), Daisy is as greedy as ever, she weighed 17.5 kilos :roll:  But I swear it has to be all muscle, as she is not allowed to overeat, and she gets loads of exercise  :? Dogs, who'd have 'em  :roll:                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2004, 06:35:22 PM »
Lotties greediness really does annoy me at times but then again, having a fussy eater seems just as frustrating.

Lottie has been on Naturediet for a few months now after having to come off the JWB as she used to get the runs :?   I recently gave her some JWB again as we had alot left over and it didn't seem to cause a problem at all this time.  I'm now thinking of reintroducing a complete dried food as the Naturediet is gone in seconds and at least with the dried food it takes her a while longer to eat it :wink:

I have just given her some samples of Burns and she loved it (but then she was trying to eat a broken terracotta pot in the garden lunchtime :roll: ..she's not fussy!!).  I liked the look of the Burns though, it seemed slightly more moist than the JWB.                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2004, 02:59:08 PM »

Lottie has been on Naturediet for a few months now after having to come off the JWB as she used to get the runs :?  

Out of interest Mary, was it the turkey one that had this effect? It does on Boysie, although on the lamb he is fine!                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2004, 08:36:32 AM »
Quote from: "Maria"

Out of interest Mary, was it the turkey one that had this effect? It does on Boysie, although on the lamb he is fine!

No Maria, she wasn't keen on the turkey so we went back to the lamb.  She suddenly started becoming very loose after being on it for months :?                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2004, 05:42:05 PM »
Honeymoon period over with on Hills now too :roll:  do you know how I know this??

Last nite I fed her as normal, gave her hills with a tin of tuna, when I came out to the kitchen later that evening, (btw everyone else was in bed, just me and Indie downstairs) Indie had picked her water bowl up and put it on top of her dinner bowl :roll:  which had all her dinner still left in it :roll:  :twisted:  The little rascall, can you believe that!!!! :roll:                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2004, 06:49:12 PM »
Oh, Emma, that's so funny! WHAT a character she is!

Indie has been turning his nose up at his Burns recently, so I've been adding some minced beef done in olive oil to moisten it - does anyone know if that's ok? He gets about a pack of minced beef every three days, and olive oil too obviously.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2004, 08:28:10 PM »
Sorry, but I still say free feed.  

Pip, for example, is a real greedy guts - he would eat any human food I let him and can't leave any butter out in the kitchen when I go out....  But with the same dog food laid out all the time, he does not over eat at all - I do believe it stops him from being porky.  

I have always free fed rescues and fosters from day one - I've not had any problems at all over food.                    

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2004, 10:44:30 PM »
Having on just come in on this thread, i cam totally sympathize with Emma and Gilly and anyone else who has picky eaters.   :)

I didn't get Laney until she was 6mths old, and apparently her breeder says that she ate like a pig :?  but from the day i got her home she never ate a 'normal' meal, very often picking then spitting out, and at one time she starved herself for nearly a week :shock: I tried everything that you all have mentioned already and she had blood test to make sure there was notheing physically wrong, but nothing worked  :( It got soo bad that i used to pick up food put it in her mouth and hold it shut until she swallowed.....  i had a truely anorexic cocker :?  :shock: If the RSPCA had seen her they would have had me for cruelty :!:  
I did find this very frustrating, as i'm sure you all get, as all my previous cockers had always been on diets for over indulgin.
This went on up until her 1st season at 10 mths after which she would eat little bit s for a couple of days but she would eat eukanbua treat biscuits so i used to feed her these :)  
Thankfully after taking advice from her breeder, i mated her on her 2nd season and have never looked back.  From the day she was mated she ate like a pig.  I would like to point out the is doesn't mean you should rush out and mate your little girles to make them eat though :wink:

Welshies are famous for being very picky eaters.  Most breeders will tell you to expect this behaviour up to about 3 yrs old :shock:                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2004, 11:30:14 PM »
Thanks Torie!  It is a constant battle and a worry as you know!

Perhaps I should speak with my vet :?  I have to go in a couple of days anyhow,  to get her weighed for her worming/flea treatments!  I think she is quite thin for a cocker, I mean she hides it well with her coat, but when wet, its embarassing walking her, people must think we don't feed her :roll:  
Just to give you an idea, this is the little rascall wet

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/photo/New-R...Rogues/IM000236

Maybe she will fill out after her season,  :?                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Purinas Bakers Complete
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2004, 11:44:17 PM »
This went on up until her 1st season at 10 mths after which she would eat little bit s for a couple of days but she would eat eukanbua treat biscuits so i used to feed her these  
Thankfully after taking advice from her breeder, i mated her on her 2nd season and have never looked back. From the day she was mated she ate like a pig. I would like to point out the is doesn't mean you should rush out and mate your little girles to make them eat though  

Laney sounds just like Butty Torie  :roll:  hopefully when she gets mated on her second season, her eating habits will get better  :wink: She's quite a petite wee girl anyway, so I don't expect her to be very big  :wink: